German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9,348 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thanks to everyone here for all the help a year and a half ago when I was trying to choose bloodlines, and then a breeder, for my puppy. I had a showline male who passed away, but he has bombproof nerves, a straight back, was a Czech import... Uran G-grandson, I knew I thought I might have a tough time finding the 'bombproof' again in W. Ger. showlines, so... I selected Czech workinglines. Now I have Grimm!

Everyone here gave me such good advice and guidance, especially about what to expect from a workinglines puppy! Oddly, I got much LESS acczrate input from people 'in real life.' I had been told to expect drive out the wazoo, expect constant, indoor restlessness, expect to be bloody from non-stop puppy biting, expect intensity, no bite inhibition even with work on that, expect a dog who would try to overthrow my position, (okay.. that did happen a few times, but not many LOL).. and expect his drives to absolutely explode as he hits 10 months.

Well.. I got what YOU guys said I would get, mostly. I did get a dog with stronger drives than is what I was accustomed to, but, again, you all gave me great advice. I use those drives-- they work for us as a team.

What I got was a dog who settles easily indoors (like lots of your dogs), who has prey drive-- but not VERY strong, he is a cuddle-bug.. NO cuddle limit, he seeks it out and he RECIPROCATES. Super-affectionate! I got a stronger play drive than I am used to. But again, we kinda use it to shape stuff like heeling, fast downs, stuff to strengthen our bond and work together.

What I got that I never expected: You cannot intimidate this dog. You can hurt his feelings, if he knows and cares for you, but nobody, no stranger doing anything, can ever intimidate him. I have never, ever seen this in a dog before. Fearless. Loves fireworks, jackhammers ripping up pavement, and chainsaws at full throttle. I had no idea workingline dogs could be so affectionate. I also had no clue what it is to have a dog CRAVE working WITH me: He doesn't want me to give him his ball or toy.. he wants me to have him sit, down, heel, come--- something, anything-- and THEN he is happy to get the ball as reward! Who knew about this and didn't tell me?

I have a calm, quiet, pushy, strong-minded, cuddly dog who wants to work with me. But, he has a lil more high octane than I am used to. Much of that is simple enthusiasm and youth that will ease down as he matures. His drives aren't anything to be scared of, as i had worried-- they are not over-the-top, they just make it fun for both of us to work or do stuff as a team. It isn't 'all about him' at all. Know?

I guess even with all your kindness and sage advice, deepdown in come corner of my fears, I expected, to some degree, a dog prone to aggression, constant pacing indoors, an aloof dog who was too driven to settle. I got a warm stable, quiet dog who has more bounce per ounce than I am accustomed to.. but who is social, friendly, fearless, enjoys being part of a TEAM. Happy, upbeat snuggler who relaxes indoors. Personable, gutsy, pushy.. he is friendly, willful, and kind. Thanks to you guys for helping me be partnered with him!

9 weeks old at his well-puppy check... Czech?

5 months old.. nobody told me workingline dogs were GOOFY!

7 months and he loves his Kong!

11 months and newly arrived in our home in Germany

15 months old:

Rub dat tummy! C'mon... you know you WANT to!

My favorite... my sweet, gentle, strong-minded, enthusiastic, cuddly, loving boy and me doing an off-lead recall for a toy.
He's about 13 months old here.

·
Registered
9,348 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
A Grimm Tale: Workingline experience

LOL sorry for all the pics.. maybe it shouldda been in the pic section?
Duh!

·
Registered
932 Posts
Re: A Grimm Tale: Workingline experience

he is a very nice looking sable

·
Registered
9,348 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

Thank you. He is intuitive, pushy, loving.. love that he wants to work *with* me!

Happy Birthday, Sandy!

·
Registered
229 Posts

Beautiful dog! We have a 6 month old Czech line GSD, and he is quite different from our previous GSDs!

·
Registered
9,348 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

Thanks Jamie and LedZep. He has been surprisingly easy to train, I have really had no help and he has come along pretty well. Not much uniformity in these Czech dogs though, each looks quite different than the other. He is off to a professional trainer to tighten things up in a few days.. I will miss him!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts