German Shepherds Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
803 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I picked up my very first GSD from the airport after work. I got him home and lured him out with some good 'ol KFC chicken strips. It took him all of 3 minutes to come out and he didn't want to go back in. I know that long flight from the Czech Republic wasn't easy.

I have done as many suggested here and have him connected to my belt loot via a leash. He has been fighting it as expected but I'm sure in a few days he will get use to it.

He hasn't used the bathroom yet in the 3x I took him outside but it is dark and he is all black so it is hard to tell..lol

I had to put him in his crate to eat and man o man the whine storm came!!! It is close 2nd to a crying newborn. I just ignore it b/c I refuse to give in and end up making it worse.

I can't get him to just chill for a minute to take a pic and only got 1 good one. I also used my Flip camcorder and shot a quick video you guys can check out. I should have some better pics tomorrow once the Arizona sun comes up. :)

·
Registered
535 Posts
Firstly, welcome to the world of GSDs. They rock ( assuming you got a good one HAHAAHHA ) . I only joined the club 6 weeks ago and I could blabber on all day about my dog.;).

Your dog is beautiful.

About the crating thing FWIW ( and I am NO expert ).....I have taught Karma to crate and all the research I did prior said to make crating a pleasant experience so they do not get anxious or associate it with anything bad. I would be interested so see what others think of just whacking your ( or anyone doing it for that matter ) pup in and ignoring it. I started with an open cardboard box on its side and then moved to an enclosed crate with door open so pup could come and go. There was lots of play time in front of the crate and throwing toys in and treats etc and I lay down and watched telly in front of it. Eventually when she started going into her crate willingly I started with short door closed sessions and now I can crate her no probs.

Right now I am working on having her sleep outside on the porch but I give in at the slightest murmur cos i love having her next to me LOL. Not good I know but hey.....she's just a little girl.

Enjoy and keep us all in the loop with your progress. It is so much fun. The GSD breed is something else. Wait till you go out in public with him.They get ALOT of attention.:wild:

·
Registered
2,178 Posts
:wub::wub::wub::wub::wub::wub::wub::wub::wub::wub::wub::wub::wub::wub::wub::wub::wub::wub: What a little sweety!!!! congrats on your new best friend

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
he's soooo cute!!!! gimme gimme!!!! lol JK!

·
Premium Member
21,368 Posts
CONGRATS!! he is soooooo cute,,what are you going to name him?? Hope ya got some sleep last nite:) He's going to keep you hopping!

·
Registered
4,389 Posts
Very cute! When you put him in the crate for feeding, leave the door open. Throw treats into the crate often and let him come out again.

·
Registered
403 Posts
what a beautiful pup!!! Im super jealous. Congrats to you and yes, please share his name and lots of pics as he grows.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Congratulatioins on your new pup, GSD's are truly the best. We have one 3 1/2 yrs old and just got one recently that is now 4 mths old.

I would have 10 more if hubby would let me ( :

Just saw his name, JAX love it ( :

·
Registered
860 Posts
Awe he is beyond CUTE!!!!!!! I WANT!!!

·
Registered
3,002 Posts
Oh he is soooooo cute! Makes me want another puppy until I stop and remember land shark. Oh wait there goes one circling my feet now!

·
Registered
428 Posts
He is ADORABLE!!! We've crate trained both of our gsd's and we were told by a trainer that once they're in the crate, ignore them if they start whining and crying. It worked with both of our girls. Our 2 yo isn't in a crate anymore (she has the run of the house), but our 13 week old girl still is, obviously. She's very good. We taught her to go in when we say "kennel up". She doesn't whine or cry while she's in there. Well, she did start barking about 3:30 this morning while in her crate. Dh came downstairs and took her outside. She had an upset tummy and had to go potty real bad. So I don't count that as whining. I count that as GOOD GIRL for barking until we woke up and took her out, lol!! Yay Jackie! Anyway, congrats on your good looking boy!

·
Registered
803 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks everyone!! His name is Jax. So far things have been good other than those teeth gripping my hands and my feet at times...lol

He HATES the stairs and won't go near them and so that is my first challenge that I hope to work on today. He only whines for about 5 minutes when I put him in his crate but after that he is quiet. I keep him on the leash 24/7 when he isn't in the crate. I keep the 6 ft leash tied to my belt so that I always know where he is. He still doesn't like it but he settles down after awhile and sits right up under my feet. Great foot warmer!!

As far as potty training goes (knock on wood) He hasn't made any messes in the house or in his crate. He will wait till until take him outside in the backyard. Everytime he goes, I throw him a party. He can hold it for 3-4 hours which I didn't think would happen. When I take him outside he goes and when he is done he heads back to the door as his way of saying he is done. Tonight, I was watching tv on the sofa and he started whining and moved by the patio door and looked at it and then looked at me. I said "go potty" and took him outside and he went.

I do look forward when he can have free run of the house without having an accident but that is more than a few months away. For those that do let their dogs have free run of the house, how long was it before you allowed that? How did you start?

Im working form home for a few days to help with the potty training. I am thought feeding him as if I was working at the office. So to get him on my schedule

·
Registered
803 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
He is ADORABLE!!! We've crate trained both of our gsd's and we were told by a trainer that once they're in the crate, ignore them if they start whining and crying. It worked with both of our girls. Our 2 yo isn't in a crate anymore (she has the run of the house), but our 13 week old girl still is, obviously. She's very good. We taught her to go in when we say "kennel up". She doesn't whine or cry while she's in there. Well, she did start barking about 3:30 this morning while in her crate. Dh came downstairs and took her outside. She had an upset tummy and had to go potty real bad. So I don't count that as whining. I count that as GOOD GIRL for barking until we woke up and took her out, lol!! Yay Jackie! Anyway, congrats on your good looking boy!
lol..now that is a good dog!!!

I'm trying the samething with the kennel. I tell him "room" when I start putting him in, So hopefully in a few weeks when I say, "go to your room" he will go. I have had other dogs in the past learn it so I am sure he will pick it up.

·
Registered
803 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Here are some more pics. I have tried to take better pics but he refuses to sit still, lol. When I have the camera he comes and sits down right in front of me and looks directly at me, so he is too close for the camera or he constantly moves to be right up under me.

I have somethings coming from Leersburg on froday to help me play with him so I will post of video of that.

·
Premium Member
21,368 Posts
oh my gosh, he is the CUTEST!!! and sounds like he's picking things up FAST!

I admit, I never tethered my puppies, but always had a close eye on them when they were roaming around, worse than little kids !! Of course when I couldn't keep an eye on them, they would be crated:)

If he gets to be to much for ya, send him my way:))

·
Registered
9,602 Posts
He is so adorable! When I first got Stosh he wasn't too crazy about going in the crate so I saved his most favorite treat- chicken jerky strips- for hen he goes in the crate. That's the only time he gets one so now when he hears the bag he literally jumps in the crate, wagging like crazy with his head sticking out waiting for his treat. Now he only gets crated when I leave the house, he's free at night but he's not allowed on any carpeted floors. I started that when he was about 5 mos old.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts