German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
852 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is Lobo, my first pure bred GSD. Lobo is a blend of East and west German working line. I do not know how tall he is, but at 5 1/2 months he is 63 lbs of awesomeness :D I really love this guy, so goofy and yet so brilliant! I would really like to compete with him next year in junior showmanship in the obedience and conformation categories. I would love critiques on his structure, what's great and whats not so great about him. Also want to know how these stacks are and which one is the best, what am I doing right and wrong ect. Critique away :D and don't worry I am not super sensitive I will love him no matter what

Attachments

·
Registered
852 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
One more, sorry I know I am going a little photo crazy, I just want to make sure that you get some great pictures so you can critique :) this was from today when he decided to dig a muddy hole halfway to China lol but he is so cute, how can you be mad at that face?

Attachments

·
Registered
7,904 Posts
What a gorgeous boy!!!!

·
Registered
114 Posts
A very kissable soul guy. I do not show dogs. My family showed horses until we realized it was ridiculous and had no true purpose except for the people involved. love is good and doesnt require a ribbon or medal.

·
Registered
31,591 Posts
Handsome boy!

Working line dogs don't typically do welll in AKC conformation rings. Definitely do obedience with him! How about an IPO club near you? You could look that up on
germanshepherddog.com

·
Registered
852 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you all :) well I am under 18 so I was told doing the junior handling would be great experience for us :) I researched it and it said they judge the handler more then the dog but I wasn't sure how reliable that information was. I have looked into doing IPO with him but the closest group i could find is about an hour away. My parents said that it is fine if I do IPO with him, but that I need to wait until I have my own car and can drive him up there myself.

·
Registered
150 Posts
He looks a lot like Neo (my pup) but Neo is only 4 months in 2 days. So I hope he will turn out that nice

Thanks for sharing

·
Super Moderator
21,368 Posts
he's gorgeous! and altho they may not do well in the akc ring..I highly recommend going for it !

It's a great 'learning' experience for you and the dog..

My first gsd that was my own when I was growing up was named Lobo:) Good luck with him

·
Super Moderator
27,461 Posts
I say go to the shows and see how you do! So much fun and I think your dog is a stunner. I'm so impressed you got so many stacked photos, I can't do that by myself (actually or with help) at all!

And remember there is conformation but also other trials like obedience and rally and the best thing of all (agility :) ) as well as so many other opportunities to get out and challenge both yourself AND your pup!

·
Registered
852 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thank you all so much! Your comments made my day, or rather my last few days ;P I think I am going to give showing him (in the junior category at least) a shot :D JakodaCDOA that's so cool! I have never met another dog named Lobo, I guess great minds think alike! And the fact that he was also your first GSD growing up, that's so awesome! Can anyone give me a critique of his structure and/or how I stacked him? I am crazy curious! Thank you in advance :)

·
Registered
852 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thank you MaggieRoseLee, he is actually pretty tolerant of being stacked, but he usually only holds it for about 20 seconds, so I have to be fast with the camera. Those are some great activities! Although rally doesn't really appeal to me much. I had looked at maybe doing agility but I wasn't sure if that was something that a GSD would excel at. The training place that we are taking him has agility classes but your dog has to graduate through their basic, intermediate, and novice classes first before they can participate. Also i only ever see small breed dogs in the class. He past his 10 weeks of puppy class and he starts basic next Wednesday. I plan on going all of the way through novice 2, he is going to be a very well behaved dog (that's the plan anyway lol).

·
Registered
2,084 Posts
oops. someone will take offense at my response. just care more for your family member then accolades.
No offense here, lol. I trained and showed horses until I got tired of all the politics, it started creeping even into dressage. I just never wanted to go through the same thing with dogs. They're worth more to me being invaluable companions and friends. I would have liked to get into SAR, but by the time I decided that I was too old to even think seriously about it, lol.

Susan

·
Registered
6,259 Posts
No offense here, lol. I trained and showed horses until I got tired of all the politics, it started creeping even into dressage. I just never wanted to go through the same thing with dogs. They're worth more to me being invaluable companions and friends. I would have liked to get into SAR, but by the time I decided that I was too old to even think seriously about it, lol.

Susan
Did Hunter/Jumper for years, always wanted to try Dressage. Still may. Loved Eventing, hated the politics. Found a lot the same thing when I tried Obedience, and evidence points to the same in the local Schutzhund circle. I love my dogs, not in need of validation from strangers too much.

·
Super Moderator
16,941 Posts
I can't really critique, except to say that I like lot of things about him! Love how manly, sturdy, and muscled he looks already at this young age.

I say give the show ring a try if you are interested - just don't take it too personally because the show ring favors the American type of dog, and the hunky working lines just don't normally get any recognition, but you never know.

I have a West German/Czech working line also, and I was told by a friend of mine whose mother is a GSD breeder and CKC conformation judge (Canadian), that I could show Gryffon and finish him. She came to our training club one day when she was visiting my friend and though I did not notice it myself, the others in my club said that she never took her eyes of Gryffon the whole time she were there. \

You should try Agility too if you are interested - a working line should do quite well. One of Gryffon's littermate's just got her MACH at the GSD nationals, and MaggieRoseLee who posted above has a multi MACH GSD, and two upcoming younger dogs that she plans on burying in Agility titles.

·
Super Moderator
18,687 Posts
Very nice puppy.

Masculine puppy with excellent bone, very good color, good withers, topline and croup. Very good angulation in the rear. Good to very good in front. You can see in the moving photo that right now he is a bit over balanced (more rear than front to deal with it). His shoulder is opening up well, but he is falling a bit on his forehand. Good pasterns, nice thick feet. He does appear to stand a bit east west in front mainly on his right.

I like the 4th picture (going from left to right) on the top. You did a good job in stacking him for the photos.

·
Registered
852 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I thought I would give ya’ll an update on Lobo and his journey into manhood :D He is now a little over 6 ½ months and he weighs 85 lbs!!! I am becoming a tinge bit concerned about his weight. He is by no means over weight (you can still see an outline of every rib) but he is very thick and stalky. We weighed him 3 weeks ago and he was 75 lbs, then exactly a week later he was 80 pounds and then two days ago we weighed him yet again and he was 85 lbs! At this rate he will weigh over 100 lbs by the end of next month! He has been consistently growing 4-5 pounds bigger every week since we picked him up at 9 weeks of age, but I would have thought that he would have slowed down by now? We were hoping that switching him from a large breed puppy food to an all life’s stages food, would allow him to take his time growing; however he has not slowed down and that was 2 months ago. Lobo’s father was 95 pounds and his mother was 92 pounds.
So a few questions: do you think he will weigh more than his father? How much do you believe he will weigh full grown? How much bigger have your dogs gotten between the age of 6 months to 1 year?

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
Most likely he will start to slow his weight gain within the next month or so, however, as his bones solidify and he muscles up (muscle weighs more than fat), I wouldn't be surprised if he kept a 2 to 2.5lb weekly gain for another couple of months... But every pup is different and is a sturdy, masculine heavy boned boy (which I really like :) ). How tall is he? Just wondering if his height is growing in conjunction with his weight, or if his weight is the primary source of growth right now.

Just my guess, but I would say, yes, he will top out around 100-110lbs when fully mature... Of course if kept very lean (which is best) he might hover around 105lbs,but this is just my opinion ;)
He is handsome!! This is my girl, Areli. She is 7mos 1wk today and 76lbs and 25.75"

Attachments

1 - 20 of 38 Posts