German Shepherds Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi everyone my name is Heather and I just bought a 9 week old German Shepherd puppy her name is wednesday. I've had a few people mentioned to me that her ears are too small and shepherds don't have white. I have done some research and found out that it is quite common for German Shepherd puppies to have patches of white. Can anyone else confirm that for me it's been mentioned that her snout looks too small. Looking for help if anyone can help answer my questions thank you. I should mention she is not 9 weeks old in this picture she is younger I do not have a picture of her at this moment recent

Attachments

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
At the moment I don't I pick her up tomorrow. Honestly it doesn't matter to me if she's not a purebred she needs a home and I have an awesome home to give but it would be nice to know

·
Registered
179 Posts
She's adorable!

Nobody can tell you with 100% certainty if she is pure or not. I have seen GSDs that you would swear are pure and then find out on a DNA test they are a mix.

I have seen others that you would swear are a mix. Only to find out they are in fact purebred GSDs.

Only way to know for sure is a DNA test. Embark is a good one.

·
Registered
Daisy - born 3/23/2021 - sable GSD
36 Posts
It's not uncommon for GSDs to have white on the chest. But white socks on the paws, no. And the ears look to be too far to the side of the head. They should be closer together like this pup's ears: Summer. 6 weeks pup.

Please post a recent photo when she finally arrives at your home!
I doesn't really matter if the pup is pure or not, she's adorable either way -- but even purebred GSDs can have white on the chest, tail -- or paws, especially as pups. It normally disappears as they lose their puppy coat. White paws on the adult purebred GSD is considered a fault.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Cute as a button. If you don’t care and she doesn’t care the only issue is did you pay for a full blood?

if money is no concern don’t worry. Here is something you should know. The “breeders” may show you mom and “dad” but, a female can breed with multiple males and have multiple breed pups.
For example GSD/GSD= 2 GSD then comes a Blue healer BH/GSD= 1BHGSD mix, pit bull they go twice PB/GSD= 4 PBGSD. Yes you can even throw in a chihuahua in there.

Again, if you don’t care she won’t. She is stinking cute. Looks like a little bear. Much luck.

·
Premium Member
Masie GSD SL, born 7/29/20
22 Posts
Hi everyone my name is Heather and I just bought a 9 week old German Shepherd puppy her name is wednesday. I've had a few people mentioned to me that her ears are too small and shepherds don't have white. I have done some research and found out that it is quite common for German Shepherd puppies to have patches of white. Can anyone else confirm that for me it's been mentioned that her snout looks too small. Looking for help if anyone can help answer my questions thank you. I should mention she is not 9 weeks old in this picture she is younger I do not have a picture of her at this moment recent
Here's a picture of my pup at 9 weeks, for comparison.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi Heather,
Your puppy is devastatingly cute. As a previous poster mentioned, if you didn't pay extra for a "purebred" and also don't have the papers that should come with the pup, then most likely the pup is not a purebred IMO. However, personally my preference is that my dogs not be "purebred" in light of all the inheritable medical problems that are much more common in purebred GSDs.
This is Daisy, my third GSD, at around 5-6 yo. Clearly she is not purebred but close enough to have all the good traits---good looks, super intelligent, sound hips, great hearing and nose, obedient and protective of our home and family. Best of all, at current age of 11, she still has a bit of puppy energy and attitude. Actually more than just a bit.:p🐕 Good luck with your baby! 2014-08-07 18.29.09.jpg

·
Registered
7,336 Posts
Hi Heather,
Your puppy is devastatingly cute. As a previous poster mentioned, if you didn't pay extra for a "purebred" and also don't have the papers that should come with the pup, then most likely the pup is not a purebred IMO. However, personally my preference is that my dogs not be "purebred" in light of all the inheritable medical problems that are much more common in purebred GSDs.
This is Daisy, my third GSD, at around 5-6 yo. Clearly she is not purebred but close enough to have all the good traits---good looks, super intelligent, sound hips, great hearing and nose, obedient and protective of our home and family. Best of all, at current age of 11, she still has a bit of puppy energy and attitude. Actually more than just a bit.:p🐕 Good luck with your baby! View attachment 576326
That is a myth. Mixed breeds are subject to the same ailments as purebred and may have even more if they inherited a tendency toward medical problems from each breed. If someone wants a mixed breed dog, great. One of mine is a mix. If someone paid a high price for a purebred dog, they should get what they paid for.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Uh, no, that's not correct

summation:

The study by Bellumori et al (2013) used medical records from the veterinary clinic at UC Davis for more than 27,000 dogs and compared the incidence of 24 genetic disorders in mixed versus purebred dogs. The abstract of the paper is included at the bottom of this page.

Here is what they found:

1) The incidence of 10 genetic disorders (42%) was significantly greater in purebred dogs.

2) The incidence of 1 disorder (ruptured cranial cruciate ligament; 4%) was greater in mixed breed dogs.

3) For the rest of the disorders examined, they found no difference in incidence between mixed and purebred dogs.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts