German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 20 week old female GSD, I have noticed here lately she has had some green slime stuff near her private area. What is this? We go to the vet in 2 weeks btw

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
Change the appt to Monday unless your vet has weekend hours.

I have no idea what the 'green slime' would be, but green does indicate infection.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Our girl had the same thing between 9-12 weeks. It ended up not being a UTI or bladder infection, but what the vet called "vaginitis" - apparently quite common in female puppies. It's not an infection, but more of a condition due to hormone/development changes. Our vet put her on antibiotics, which we found out later was not really needed because it's not a bacterial infection. And the antibiotics caused other undesirable side-effects like a yeast infection in her ears, etc. If it's vaginitis I think the best thing to do is keep the area clean (I used to wipe her with "wet-ones" a few times a day), and make sure she has the chance to urinate often. I think most often it clears up on its own. Our girl was back to normal within a few weeks. If I could change anything, I wouldn't have put her on the antibiotics. Though an infection is a different story, but the vet should be able to tell if they do a culture.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Someone else has also mentioned it's her hormone changing. I'll see what my vet says & what they want to do.

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
Research a bit on UTI's. I would use cranberry extracts and vit amin c to help with that. Give some chicken broth to the water to increase consumption.

·
Banned
15,195 Posts
green slime. i wouldn't wait 2 weeks for a Vet visit. i would have
gone to the Vet when i first noticed it.

I have a 20 week old female GSD, I have noticed here lately she has had some green slime stuff near her private area. What is this?

>>>>> We go to the vet in 2 weeks btw<<<<<

·
Banned
377 Posts
Our girl had the same thing between 9-12 weeks. It ended up not being a UTI or bladder infection, but what the vet called "vaginitis" - apparently quite common in female puppies. It's not an infection, but more of a condition due to hormone/development changes. Our vet put her on antibiotics, which we found out later was not really needed because it's not a bacterial infection. And the antibiotics caused other undesirable side-effects like a yeast infection in her ears, etc. If it's vaginitis I think the best thing to do is keep the area clean (I used to wipe her with "wet-ones" a few times a day), and make sure she has the chance to urinate often. I think most often it clears up on its own. Our girl was back to normal within a few weeks. If I could change anything, I wouldn't have put her on the antibiotics. Though an infection is a different story, but the vet should be able to tell if they do a culture.
Vets tend to give anitbiotics just to cover themselves when they don't know the real problem. If your dog develops other problems as a result it is another source of income for them. Some say that ignorance is bliss; I say that ignorance is expensive and often harmful.
Having said all that I would probably take the dog to the vet if my dog showed those symptoms.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts