German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
481 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We just found out that Diesel has Megaesophagus. :cry: I suspected it was the cause, and unfortunately my suspicions were correct. This poor precious 7 week old baby has been regurgitating everything he eats. I called an made an appointment and thankfully they were able to get him in today. After some discussion and giving "samples" of his most recent spit up (which was undigested food from yesterday :() he decided to do a barium x-ray, and thats when we saw it. My heart just sank, my husband's too. This poor little guy has already been through a lot - now this.

He was given a shot of Reglan, and is to take 1/2 a pill 2x a day. He has to be closely watched due to risk of aspiration and pneumonia. We have to feed him in an upright position, and hold him up for about 15 minutes afterward to make sure the food has had a chance to reach the stomach. We tried it this evening, and so far no regurgitation.

I'm hoping he's one of the lucky ones that will grow out of it. I would be interested to know how many other dogs with that have ME have gotten better with time.


If anyone has any suggestions or advice, I'm open ears! We want him to have the best possible life and we are willing to do whatever it takes to manage this so that he can.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,505 Posts
My friend has had two with ME. They had some issues. Owner has to be quick to note any sign of not feeling well as pneumonia can come on quickly.

Feeding them as older dogs, she raised the front of crates up on railroad timbers. They ate in the crate and had to wait a couple of hours before being let out. Her youngest one is doing well at 7 years old and has a large esophageal pouch. She gets Pepcid every day and sometimes needs carafate.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,602 Posts
I recently read a post from another owner who puts their pup in a special chair to feed--I can't think of the name of it right now but I'll try to find the post. Sorry your little guy has to go through all of this but it sounds like you're doing a great job
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
32,586 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
17,397 Posts
I'm so sorry your little guy has to deal with this - I too hope he outgrows it.

I would have a thyroid panel run. Rare to have a low thyroid in such a young pup, but not unheard of. IF you do this, I would send the blood to hemopet and have Jean Dodds evaluate the results. In fact, I would search for her email address online - it's "hemopet-something", and email and ask if this is something reasonable to test for. Thyroid disease is deceptive, so I would strongly consider testing for this.

Mega can not only be a symptom of thyroid disease, but also myasthenia gravis, and atypical Addison's. I don't know if your pup shows any possible signs of these, I am not *that* familiar with them myself.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
115 Posts
Sorry to hear this, but it can be managed. My 5-1/2 month old pup was dx'd about 2 months ago. You can find a ton of great information from this group: megaesophagus : Megaesophagus

We are trying Neko on bethanecol, 5 mg twice a day, and sucalfrate twice a day along with vertical feeding to see if she will outgrow it. Hopefully that will be the case; if not, we will just manage things as we go along. I think you will find that the vertical feeding and holding really help. It is a very scary diagnosis at first. Best wishes to you and Diesel.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
481 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm happy to report that since yesterday evening when we found out, Diesel has not had any more episodes since we have been properly managing his feedings. Thanks everyone for the support and encouragement.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,467 Posts
That is good news!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,466 Posts
em, whoa, you've got quite a crew there...10,4,3,2 and two 7 weekers. makes me tired, lol.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
481 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
em, whoa, you've got quite a crew there...10,4,3,2 and two 7 weekers. makes me tired, lol.
Lol, yep, quite the crew for sure! Makes me tired toooo...lol. But I sure do :wub: them all! We have rescued all of them, and I honestly can't imagine my life any different.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5 Posts
We've had 2 with this condition. A diet of well mushed can food and eating with an elevated head has worked wonderful for both of ours. They would be likely to regurge if they got to excited after a meal but that's easily managed. Tanner the first we got that had it lived to be 11 I believe. He did have trouble though, he did have to go under general anathesia twice once to be neutered the other was about a year or two before we had to put him down. I think he was fine for the first surgery but the second surgery he developed aspiration pneumonia. Our other shepherd who has it, Phoebe doesn't seem to have it as severe as he did though she has a bit of a constricted esophogus before the pocket so she cannot eat dry food at all or she will choke on it (scary thing to watch and a heck of a thing to discover she can't eat dry food that way).

Depending on the severity it is VERY manageable and it sounds like your headed in the right direction, good luck!
 
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Top