German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Surprise! Gunner's PennHip scores came back better than anticipated. :) (Not excellent, but still very acceptable.) The breeder (actually, his "grand-breeder" who bred his mom & took him in when his owner couldn't keep him, because she lives much closer than the breeder does) talked to her vet & will be talking to a few of her breeder friends to see what they think about keeping him intact. He has some stellar traits that could benefit the breed as a whole-- his hips were pretty much his ONLY flaw, and if they're still within acceptable range.... All other health clearances came back looking great, he did very well in the conformation ring, he's beautifully built, he seems to have some natural herding ability (but will need to get more experience & titles in that area), his temperament is absolutely awesome, etc., etc....

Well, I might just be getting a crash course in showing, herding, who knows what else? As for any breeding decisions, I'll be leaving those up to the breeder. She knows the breed & the bloodlines MUCH better than I do. I'll just be along for the ride, I guess, and hope to learn a thing or two along the way. ;)

It's kind of exciting, but I confess, I'm a little nervous. Until now, I've never had anything but sofa mutts. (Dearly beloved sofa mutts, of course.)

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Oops.... Thanks for moving this. I wasn't sure if it was allowed in the "health" section, as he isn't a GSD. It was exciting news for me, though, so I HAD to share! :)

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Just heard from the breeder.... She's not comfortable with his hip scores not being higher, so he'll be neutered after all. (I love that she cares so much about the breed, she's not willing to take ANY such risks, no matter how good the dog is otherwise.) It's still good news for Gunner, though.... His hips apparently aren't as loose as the vet originally thought. :happyboogie:

·
Premium Member
27,460 Posts
Great news and sounds like you have a great breeder too.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts