German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
6,659 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found a theme park in South Dakota that allows dogs! They can even ride the train there!! I am so excited. Its called Flintstones Bedrock City Theme Park and they not only allow dogs but my furcrew will be able to enjoy Brontoburgers, Dino Dogs and Chickenasaurus for lunch.

·
Registered
6,659 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I will. All the buildings look like those in the Flintstones show, I can even get a pic of them sitting in the Fred Flintstone car. Now I just have to fiquire out how to get them all the sit nice on the train.

I tried to show a copy of the map but won't transfer. Thats ok heres some of the things they have there.

1 City & Gift Shop Entrance 2 Post Office 3 Fred & Wilma's House 4 Barney & Betty's House
5 Stonewall Playhouse 6 Mr. Slate's House 7 Mr. Granitebilt's House 8 Mt. Rockmore
9 Rockmore Theatre 10 KROCK Radio Station 11 Super Market 12 Telehorn Office
13 Bedrock Jail 14 Stonescraper 15 Dentist Office 16 Bedrock Beauty Shop
17 Water Buffalo Lodge 18 Bedrock Fire Station 19 Bedrock Bank 20 Rocko Gas Station
21 "Iron Horse" Train Depot 22 Flintmobile 23 Super Slide & Playground 24 Mt. St. Wilma

·
Registered
11,280 Posts
Awesome and yes lots and lots of pics please

·
Registered
6,659 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The road trip's not until September. I just have to plan well in advance. This way I'm able to take my time and find lots of fun things for my dogs to do along the way. It also gives me plenty of time to find places to stay that will welcome me and my furcrew.

I also have plans to take them to two drive thru animal parks. They just love the one in Idaho...I just need to remember my earplugs this time
Last time you should have heard the barking! Not only that, the poor car kind of bounced its way thru the park with the dogs all bouncing around inside.

·
Registered
241 Posts
How did you find out they allow dogs? It doesn't say anything on their website...just looking for places to take my dogs that might be closer to Texas, although that looks like a lot of fun!

·
Registered
6,659 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
They are listed on DogFriendly.com!!! Just go there, click on Dog Friendly attractions and choose the State you want to check on
Just to be on the safe side I always call before just to make sure polices haven't changed...wouldn't want the dogs to get all excited and then to be let down at the gate.

I also ask all over the place...'I travel with 3 GSDs can I bring them here or there?' I get alot of Nos, but we live for those few Yes's!!! I remember there was this one shop in Livingston, MT (I'm sorry if I hurt anyones feelings) but I found this place to be the most un-dog friendly place in all our travels. This is not why I'm saying that (there were other reasons) but we were walking down Main St. I just had Shiloh and Shoshona at the time and I saw bandana's in the window that said Montana on them...some had buffalo, others had elk. So I poked my head in the store to say I wanted to see them. The lady just lost it...'those dogs can't come in here!' she yelled...I explained I would just stand right there but I wanted to see the bandana's. I should notate that we were the only ones in the store so it wasn't like she was busy. Reluctantly she brought down ONE bandana in an ugly brown, of course I wanted to see the RED one...that really irratated her, but she got the red one...I then went to try it on Shiloh and I thought she was going to have a cardiac!!! I could see how upset she was getting so I told her I would purchase it no matter what...that lowered her blood pressure some but it went right back when I tried to decide what color would look best on Shoshona
We made our purchases and left afterwhich time I'm sure she sterilized the those first three of her storefront that we stepped in.

Having said that, there are many places that welcome dogs. Theres a real steam train in Nevada that will will be stopping at, I think its in Carson City, NV and they allow dogs too!

·
Registered
6,659 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks. I can hardly wait as well. I've also found a Dinner/Show (I guess its a cowbody comedy show) that allows dogs to sit in the seats right out front and you can still see the show. I've emailed them. Theres also a Trolly ride in Cody, WY that allows dogs (as long as no one on trolly is allergic) so we might try that as well. Its a one hour tour around town-its suppose to be fun. Guess we can give that a try if we can

·
Registered
6,659 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I just got the nicest email from the owner of The Flying T Chuckwagon in Rapid City, SD. This is the place I found that has the dinner shows. What a nice lady. She's thrilled to have me and my three German Shepherds there for the Dinner and Show. I had some concerns as their website showed people helping themselves in a serving line to the food as opposed to having table service, so I wrote and asked about this. She assured me this wouldn't be a problem as one of their staff would be happy to get a plate for me.
Heck, I'm getting hungry allready

Oh this is going to be so much fun!

·
Registered
6,659 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I got the BEST idea today friends...I've decided to order cowboy hats for my dogs for when we go to that Dinner Show. That and Shoshona is going to get a Sheriff badge for her bandanas...don't you think that will be sooooo cute??? Since were going to be in the Wild West why not have them dress the part? I've already found a pink hat for Shoshi and black ones for the boys (childrens size of course)

·
Registered
43 Posts
I found a theme park in South Dakota that allows dogs! They can even ride the train there!! I am so excited. Its called Flintstones Bedrock City Theme Park and they not only allow dogs but my furcrew will be able to enjoy Brontoburgers, Dino Dogs and Chickenasaurus for lunch.

Where in South Dakota? My dad lives in Sioux Falls, SD.

·
Registered
6,659 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The theme park is in the Rapid City area. I'm finding all kind of fun things to do with my dogs in that area.

·
Registered
488 Posts
Is that in the Black Hills near Mount Rushmore? Beautiful area. I think I remember seeing signs for that. Grew up in ND and never went to Mt Rushmore until about 3 years ago! Not far from Sturgis :eek:.

·
Registered
6,659 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Yes, it is in the Black Hills area. I love that area. I didn't get to spend enough time there on my last visit so I'm really looking forward to having more time this time around.

I'm also getting ready to book some of the cabins the National Park Service has for rent that are really afffordable. Check these out!

MUDDY GUARD CABIN (WY), BIGHORN NF - FS, WY

Description

The Muddy Guard cabin was built in the late 1930's by the Civilian Conservation Corps for the use of the Forest Service as a guard station. The cabin is made out of peeled logs with saddle corner notching. The cabin is situated in a large open meadow 1/2 mile east of US HWY 16 on Forest Service road 473, just west of Crazy Woman Road. In the winter FS 473 is not plowed, renter may need to park at the plowed parking area on Crazy Woman Road (FS 33), and ski or snowshoe the 1/2 mile to the cabin. The cabin has three rooms - a kitchen and two bedrooms. One bedroom has two bunk bed sets, and the other has a double bed. The kitchen has an electric cooking stove, a wood stove, small refrigerator, and a grey water sink.

• There is no potable water at the cabin; renters must bring their own water.
  • The only heat in the cabin is by wood stove. Fall and winter renters should bring wood with them to the cabin, just in case the last renters used all the firewood.
  • There is a corral and hitching post by the cabin for horses.
  • A picnic table and fire ring is located by the cabin.
  • There is no house keeper, so all renters are to clean the cabin before they leave. Green cleaning supplies are located in the kitchen and closet of the master bedroom.
  • Renters need to unplug the refrigerator and leave its door open when leaving the cabin.
  • There is no indoor plumbing; there is an outhouse near the cabin.
  • The cabin sleeps six people.
  • The cabin is locked, so renters must call our office 307-684-7806 between, 8 to 4:30 Monday though Friday to get the combination for the lock.
  • The cabin is available year round; however, rentals are limited to seven consecutive days.
What renters need to bring:
  • Water
  • Bedding
  • Cooking and eating utensils (the nearest grocery store is in Buffalo 25 miles)
  • Trash bags - Pack it in and out. No trash service at the cabin.
  • Matches
  • First-aid kit
  • Firewood
Provided at the cabin:
  • Beds (two twin bunk bed sets, and one double bed)
  • Kitchen table with chairs
  • Dresser drawer
  • Wood stove (bring firewood just in case there is none on site). Instructions for the woodstove are posted.
  • Electric cooking stove and lights
  • Carbon monoxide alarm, fire alarms, and fire extinguisher
  • Sofa and chairs
  • Cleaning supplies
  • Snow shovel
Services & Amenities:

Within Facility
  • All Terrain Vehicle
  • Beds & Foam Pads
  • Biking
  • Firewood
  • Fishing
  • Hiking
  • Hitch Racks
  • Horseback Riding
  • Hunting
  • Mountain Biking
  • Photography
  • Pit Restroom
  • Wildlife Viewing
Within 10 Miles
  • Skiing
Greater Than 10 Miles
  • Boating
  • Grocery
  • Laundry
  • Medical Facility
  • Restaurant
Alerts and Important Information

Getting There:

Muddy Guard Cabin (WY)
F.R. #473 BIGHORN NAT. FOREST
Buffalo WY 82834

GPS Info. (Latitude, Longitude):
44.15944, -106.9125

From the US Forest Service Powder River District office at 1415 Fort Street in Buffalo, WY: Take Wyoming State Highway #16 west 24.5 miles. Turn left on to Forest Road # 473 and travel 1/8 mile east to the cabin.
Winter directions when Forest Road # 473 is not maintained: From the Powder River District office take Wyoming State Highway # 16 west 24.3 miles to the Crazy Woman Canyon Road # 33 plowed Winter Parking Area. Then hike, ski, snowshoe or snowmobile cross country 200 yards due south to the cabin.
View Regional Map

HOBACK GUARD STATION (WY), BRIDGER-TETON NF - FS, WY

Description

The Hoback Guard Station is 59 miles from Big Piney. Follow US Hwy 189 north for 26 miles to the junction of US 189 and 191. Turn left and continue on US 189/191 another 33 miles to Bondurant. The Guard station will be on the left(west) side of the highway approximately 1 mile beyond Bondurant. There is a locked gate. Key should be retrieved from the District Office in Big Piney. The GS has electricity. The GS has running potable water in the summer months only. There is an indoor bathroom and shower. The kitchen is equipped with an electric stove, a variety of cookware and utensils, a table with four chairs, a refrigerator and a sink. You will need to supply your own towels or rags, soap and garbage bags. The cabin has electric heat. There are two single beds, one dresser, a desk and a phone. No linens or bedding are provided. If you use the phone to make a long distance call you must use a phone card or call collect. The GS number is 307.733.2905. Pets and stock are allowed at the GS. Livestock may be kept in the corral behind the bunkhouse. If you bring hay it must be certified weed free. No smoking is allowed in the bunkhouse. If you smoke outside please place cigarette butts in the butt cans. There are opportunities for hiking and fishing within close proximity of the GS.
Services & Amenities:

Within Facility
  • Accessible Hiking Trails
  • All Terrain Vehicle
  • Beds & Foam Pads
  • Biking
  • Bird Watching
  • Broom & Dust Pan
  • Cabin Rental
  • Dishes & Tableware
  • Drinking Water
  • Fishing
  • Flush Toilet
  • Hiking
  • Hiking Trail
  • Hitching Rails
  • Horse Corrals
  • Horse Trail
  • Horseback Riding
  • Hot Showers
  • Hunting
  • Mattress
  • Mountain Biking
  • Off Road Vehicle Trail
  • Parking
  • Photography
  • Pots & Pans
  • Scenery
  • Showers
  • Sightseeing
  • Skiing
  • Snowshoeing
  • Stove
  • Table & Chairs
  • Trails
  • Trails, Bicycle
  • Vault Toilet
  • Wildlife Viewing

Getting There:

Hoback Guard Station (WY)
14393 S. Hwy 191
Big Piney WY 83113

43.21556, -110.42278

Phone Park for More Information:

Not sure about this place, but check out the view from the window:

MAXEY CABIN (MT), GALLATIN NF - FS, MT

Description

Maxey Cabin is near Hyalite Reservoir, 18 miles South of Bozeman. During the summer months, you can drive to the cabin. In the winter it may be up to 10 miles from where you park to the cabin depending on conditions. Hyalite Canyon is a beautiful mountainous area with many hiking opportunities. Popular activities include hiking to waterfalls, fishing, and ice climbing.

Maxey Cabin is rustic with no electricity and no running water. Site has 1 main cabin with wood stove and separate unheated smaller cabin. Main cabin has 2 double bunk beads (4 mattresses). Smaller back cabin has 1 double bunk (2 beds). There is a small stream next to the cabin with limited water flow. Basic cooking supplies are provided.

Price is $30 per night. The cabin can be reserved from 1 to 5 nights. Reservations can be made up to 6 months in advance. Last minute bookings (up to 3 nights in advance) are made by calling or going to the Bozeman Ranger Station
Services & Amenities:

Within Facility
  • Beds
  • Bird Watching
  • Broom & Dust Pan
  • Dishes & Tableware
  • Firewood
  • Fishing
  • Hiking
  • Hiking Trail
  • Hunting
  • Ice Climbing
  • Mattress
  • Photography
  • Pots & Pans
  • Scenery
  • Sightseeing
  • Skiing
  • Snowshoeing
  • Stove
  • Table & Chairs
  • Trails
  • Vault Toilet
  • Wildlife Viewing

The Gallatin National Forest is under a food storage order and requires that "unattended food, refuse, and attractants be stored in hard-sided vehicles, bear-resistant containers, or hung at least 10 feet clear of the ground at all points and 4 feet horizontally from any supporting tree or pole." Any violation of this is punishable by a fine.
Hyalite Road is closed to all motorized vehicles April 1-May 15.
Make sure you have the lock combination for the cabin door before you go to the cabin. The combination code to the cabin will be included in the Confirmation e-mail or letter.

Getting There:

Maxey Cabin (MT)
3710 W FALLON STREET SUITE C
Bozeman MT 59718

45.47833, -110.95167

Traveling from Main Street in Bozeman, take 19th Ave south for approximately 8 miles until you reach Hyalite Canyon Road.
Turn left and drive up the canyon 10 miles to Hyalite Reservoir.
Once you reach the **** continue alongside the reservoir for approximately 1 mile.
Turn left at the access road (identified by 2 yellow reflectors posted on both sides of the access road).
Within 200 yards open the locked gate to the right and continue 1/2 mile mile to the cabin, which sits on the northeast edge of a large meadow.
Depending on how far the Hyalite Road is plowed during the winter months determines how far you may have to ski.
During the summer months you can drive to the cabin.
GPS location, Map Datum WGS84/NAD83, 45 deg 28' 42" N x 100 deg 57' 06" W View Regional Map

Phone Park for More Information:

Heres another one I like

MOOSE LAKE CABIN (MT), BEAVERHEAD-DEERLODGE NF -FS, MT

Description

Moose Lake cabin was originally built and used by the Forest Service. Located on the Middle Fork of Rock Creek, close to the Anaconda- Pintler Wildnerness. Recreation opportunities include fishing on Rock Creek and hiking in the wilderness.
Services & Amenities:

Within Facility
  • Accessible Pit Restroom
  • All Terrain Vehicle
  • Beds & Foam Pads
  • Bird Watching
  • Broom & Dust Pan
  • Cabin Rental
  • Cross Country Skiing
  • Dishes & Tableware
  • Drinking Water, Hand Well.
  • Equestrian Area
  • Firewood
  • Fishing
  • Group Fire Ring
  • Hiking
  • Horse Corrals
  • Horseback Riding
  • Hunting
  • Mattress
  • Mountain Biking
  • Parking
  • Photography
  • Picnic Tables
  • Pots & Pans
  • Propane & Cooking Stove
  • Scenery
  • Snowshoeing
  • Table & Chairs
  • Wildlife Viewing

Check this one out!

MYSTIC LAKE CABIN (MT), GALLATIN NF - FS, MT

Description

Mystic Lake Cabin is situated near the southeast shore of Mystic Lake in the Gallatin Range approximately 13 miles southeast of Bozeman, Montana. The cabin was built in the summer of 1930 is open year-round and has a corral for horses.

There is no electricity and no running water. Capacity is 4 people. Cabin has mattresses for four people. There is a wood cookstove and the Forest Service supplies the firewood. Basic cooking supplies are provided.

Price is $30 per night and the cabin can be reserved from 1 to 5 nights. Reservations can be made up to 6 months in advance. It is 10 miles via the Bozeman Creek Trail, and 5 1/2 miles via New World Gulch Trail. Mystic Lake Cabin is in a non-motorized area. Travel by horse, hike, mountain bike, ski or snowshoe. Mystic Lake contains rainbow, brook, and cutthroat trout. Last minute reservations (up to 3 nights in advance) are available by calling or going to the Bozeman Ranger Station
Services & Amenities:

Within Facility
  • Beds
  • Bird Watching
  • Broom & Dust Pan
  • Dishes & Tableware
  • Firewood
  • Fishing
  • Hiking
  • Hiking Trail
  • Horse Corrals
  • Hunting
  • Lake
  • Mattress
  • Mountain Biking
  • Parking
  • Photography
  • Pots & Pans
  • Scenery
  • Sightseeing
  • Skiing
  • Snowshoeing
  • Stove
  • Table & Chairs
  • Trails
  • Vault Toilet
  • Wildlife Viewing

The Galltin National Forest is under a food storage order and requires that "unattended food, refuse, and attractants be stored in hard-sided vehicles, bear-resistant containers, or hung at least 10 feet clear of the ground at all points and 4 feet horizontally from any supporting tree or pole." Any violation of this is punishable by a fine.
Burning candles in the cabin is prohibited.
Make sure you have the lock combination for the cabin door before you go to the cabin. The combination code to the cabin will be included in the Confirmation e-mail or letter.
This is a non-motorized area. No ATVs or ORVs allowed. Travel by horse, hike, mountain bike, ski or snowshoe walk or ski 5 1/2 or 10 miles to access this site.
Please bring garbage bags. This facility is a "Pack it in, pack it out," facility.
There is a stream near the cabin. Water should be treated.

Getting There:

Mystic Lake Cabin (MT)

MT

45.54111, -110.91944

Check this out-for 25.00 you can actually stay in a lookout tower!!!
We are NOT staying there!

MISSION LOOKOUT (MT), FLATHEAD NF - FS, MT

Description

Mission Lookout towers of above the forest canopy providing guests unrivaled 360 degree views of the beautiful Swan Range, Mission Mountains and Swan Lake. Serving for 75 years as the site of a fire detection tower, the current lookout was constructed in 1959. With its 15 by 15 cabin ringed with windows atop the 40 foot tower, Mission Lookout is a great place to spend a few nights. With a built-in double bed and two folding cots Mission Lookout has a maximum group size of four adults. The lookout is equipped with a propane stove, simple cooking utensils and a table with four chairs. A new vault toilet and fire ring are located at the base of the tower. Guests will need to provide their own water, food, bedding, pillows and firewood. Sheets and blankets for a double bed or sleeping bags are recommended. There is no lighting in the tower, so bring your own light source that does not use an open flame. Candles are not allowed due to the fire hazard. A battery powered lantern is ideal. Along with the spectacular scenery, the immediate area offers visitors an unlimited array of outdoor activities that range from fishing on Swan Lake to watching migratory waterfowl at the wildlife viewing area, both just minutes away.
Services & Amenities:

Within Facility
  • Accessible Picnic Area
  • Accessible Pit Restroom
  • Basic cooking and eating utensils
  • Beds & Mattresses
  • Berry Picking
  • Biking
  • Bird Watching
  • Broom & Dust Pan
  • Cabin Rental
  • Cook Stove
  • Cooking Utensils
  • Dishes & Tableware
  • Fire Rings
  • Fishing
  • Hiking
  • Lookout Tower
  • Mattress
  • Mountain Biking
  • Mountain Views
  • Parking
  • Paved Roads
  • Pay Telephone
  • Photography
  • Picnic Area
  • Portable Restrooms
  • Pots & Pans
  • Propane & Cooking Stove
  • Restroom
  • Scenery
  • Snowshoeing
  • Table & Chairs
  • Toilet, Pit/Vault
  • Trails
  • Wildlife Viewing
  • smoke detector
Within 10 Miles
  • Accessible Boat Ramp
  • Accessible Hiking Trails
  • Accessible Swimming
  • Fishing
  • Lake
  • Post Office
  • Restaurants
  • Rv Park
Greater Than 10 Miles
  • Banking Services
  • Fishing Supplies

Grizzly bears frequent the area, store your food, beverages, coolers and garbage inside the cabin. Mission Lookout is a forty foot tower, guests must be prepared to climb and carry their provisions up the steep stairs. Due to the height of the tower pets and children under age 10 are discouraged. Candles are prohibited in the lookout. Mission Lookout can only be reserved up to 180 days in advance and for no more than four consecutive nights.

Getting There:

Mission Lookout (MT)
200 RANGER STATION ROAD
Bigfork MT 59911

47.89417, -113.87306

Don't know how this will appear, I've done tons of deleting to try to make it more viewable.

I can hardly wait to sit outside at night will the sky all lit up with stars, just me and my dogs.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts