German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In the ongoing quest to find a long-lasting, affordable chew treat for Willow, I have yet again hit a snag.

I purchased a big bag of pigskin chews (rawhide-free) from Murdochs. The first one, she willingly took and then sat and ate it until it was gone--and it took her 30+ minutes! Huzzah!

However, I gave her another one today and she couldn't care less. She'll carry it around in her mouth for a few minutes, lick it a few times half-heartedly, then leave it. I take it away, give it back to her, same deal. I know she's hungry--we just had our afternoon walk and her dinner is in 1.5 hours, and STILL she won't eat it; in fact she preferred to chew on her tasteless Ruffwear bungee tug toy rather than the yummy pigskin treat.

Is there anything I can do to make her eat it? Soak it in water or something to soften it up? Soak it in chicken broth? Anything anybody's tried? They're so good as a long lasting treat and I hate wasting them.

I will say she looooooves pizzles, they're just pricey ($3 for a single six-inch pizzle? Nope).

·
Super Moderator
4,614 Posts
My boy loved pizzle when he was little than then dropped one in the back seat of the car and left it there for a couple of weeks until I threw it away. I tried again after a few months and he enjoyed them again. I agree that they are expensive and quality lately has been inconsistent (buying the bulk on line). I buy tracheas from Chewys now. It is a decent chew and my dogs seem satisfied when they finish them. Some people like to stuff them but I offer them up plain for desert after dinner.

·
Super Moderator
5,443 Posts
The tracheas are the only thing I’ve bought lately. My dogs have always liked them.

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
When Ziva was young she loved anything chewy especially bully sticks. then one day she decided she didn't like any chews. None. Vet checked her teeth and said there was no problem. She just isn't a chewer of anything but wood sticks (I know those present dangers and we don't encourage it). She even found a 4 point deer shed in the woods one day. She carried around for a good bit so we brought it home. Once in a blue moon she well bite at it for a minute or two then ignore it. I think we've had that for 3+ years now. Some dogs just aren't chewers. Willow may be one.
Could also be that although she liked the pig ear it upset her tummy and she knows not to eat them.

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
I've had the same happen with lambs ears, salmon skin, pig ears, and numerous other expensive treats. You could donate the treats to a nearby rescue, been there done that. What you're experiencing is one of the sequences of the initiation into german shepherd ownership.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts