German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have two purebred German shepherds - one is a neutered female, 7 years old and a lovely calm, friendly girl and the other one is a neutered male, two and a half years of age, boisterous, happy, noisy and lead reactive. My issue is not with his reactivity. That’s a separate issue. My issue is with my female. It seems like she doesn’t really like my male. She tolerates him and will rough play with him in the garden but otherwise she ignores him and doesn’t like him being near her. She doesn’t lie near him and will move away if he lies down near her. She isn’t aggressive in any way, she just seems to avoid him. That’s not my issue either. The problem is with her eating. Sometimes she just won’t eat and it’s getting more frequent. She just ignores her food when he’s around but now she just won’t eat at all. I think she’s deferring to him as an adult male. I see her letting him go before her when we’re going out, but it’s the food situation that’s worrying me. She seems perfectly healthy, soft, shiny coat, bright eyes, etc. and I know there could be something going on internally but her stools (when she does eat) are a normal colour and texture. She will eat most of her meal if I hand feed her but I don’t think that’s the answer. I’ve had two shepherds for a good number of years but this is the first time I’ve had the female older than the male. Has anyone come across this before?

·
Registered
185 Posts
My girl, who is 11 months, is going thru a period where she won't eat unless I am standing right next to her and only at dinnertime. We don't have other dogs as of now so I'm not sure why she is doing this. She is down to one meal a day (I fill her bowl in the morning and she usually eats twice a day). This is actually the second time she has done this and as long as she is energetic and healthy, I won't worry too much about it. Maybe talk to your vet and get his/her opinion on the matter.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts