German Shepherds Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
I had a horrible experience this past weekend. As we were entering the off leash park, a dog bit my dog and I rushed her to the vet. The bite was so bad the vet asked me if a coyote bit her and I explained it was another dog. My question is, has anyone had anything similar happen? If so, how did you handle re-socializing your GSD. I will obviously not be going back to that dog park, but I have a dog ranch whose owner practices Cesar Milan's "Dog Whisperer" practices. Any suggestions for re-socializing my GSD?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi All,
Sorry, my dog is approx. 4-6 y/o & I adopted her from a GSD rescue 2 yrs. ago. I feel completely devastated, but I do hope to get her rehabed emotionally so that she can safely and comfortably be around other dogs. The gentleman that owns the ranch does have a well-behaved pack. Thank you so much for all of your responses. I really needed some ideas on how to successfully negotiate this uncharted territory.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thank you so much for your honest, kind, and supportive words. It is true that once we even entered the park (right after it happened) she did act as if nothing happened, smiling at me in the car all the way to the vet. I do believe I will never take her to another dog park again and that I will take her to the dog ranch where I know Thomas (the owner) screens all dogs and never has aggressive dogs, or dogs who show the slightest bit of aggression at his dog ranch. Thank you so much again, I needed to hear this positive reinforcement : ))

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
In addition, she never has had any problems with other dogs before. When on-leash she does get a bit excited when she sees small yip-yip dogs, but off-leash never once showed any aggression, just wanting to say hello (i.e. sniff everyone's butt).

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.