German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I currently feed my dog Horizon Complete Large breed puppy. I feed him around 4-5 cups a day and every so often he gets an egg or the odd meaty leftovers.

He is a male and is only 64lbs at a year and 4 months old. He has lost some weight here recently as we have become alot more active but he does seem really underweight.

I know alot of you will cringe but I have been running him beside the car offleash for about half a km stop let him walk around take a pee/poop/drink then I sometimes will do it again (he loves doing this). This is a gravel road, he runs in the ditch while I drive, it is very rarely used. Usually right after we go to the dog park and let him run off more energy.

I also just started agility training with him which is also more exercise.

This is the best/ most recent picture I can find. Any ideas guys? He was wormed about 15 days ago also just an fyi.

I'm expecting him to be upwards of 100lbs fully grown and his small size is abit concerning.

·
Registered
885 Posts
Not a great picture to judge by, but he looks ok to me. He should be lean at this age, to help keep extra pressure off those joints.

Why would you expect him to reach 100lbs? At 16 months, I don't think he will reach that as an adult weight. More realistically you are looking at 75 - 85 lbs.

Is he neutered?

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not a great picture to judge by, but he looks ok to me. He should be lean at this age, to help keep extra pressure off those joints.

Why would you expect him to reach 100lbs? At 16 months, I don't think he will reach that as an adult weight. More realistically you are looking at 75 - 85 lbs.

Is he neutered?
Yes he is neutered at 1 year, I know the picture isn't great but its the best I have available right now. I do know I want to keep him lean he just seems to lean.

I just guessed at around 100 as that's what seemed to be the normal.

·
Registered
2,497 Posts
I think you're going to have to readjust your expectations. He's not going to reach 100 lbs unless you overfeed him to make him fat. He's gorgeous btw :). He will probably gain a few more as he matures and fills out but not that much more.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I guess I will then, I honestly was under the impression they would be over 100lbs if they were male. Although not going to complain, its easier to lift a 70lb dog then a 100lber :p

·
Registered
2,497 Posts
I think the breed standard for males is somewhere between 65-85 lbs. 100 lbs is rather large for a GSD. Very true about the lifting, lol.

·
Registered
885 Posts
I guess I will then, I honestly was under the impression they would be over 100lbs if they were male.
There are smaller males and bigger males, size depends on genetics, not gender. Your male is within the standard though.

Also, as he is neutered, I think you are most likely looking at 70 - 75lbs once he fills out a bit more, but again he could put more muscle on, its just not usually as much as an intact male... *usually*. (And not always true)

My male is 24 months and has now started to fill out and not look like such a gangly horse!

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
lol yea I hear you, and he sounds like a horse some days when he is running for his ball and putting on the after burners :p

·
Registered
109 Posts
Hi there,

Yes, @ 64 lbs and 14 months, your dog is a slightly underweight.
Do not expect male German shepherd to go over 88 lbs when mature. All these GSD's over 100 lbs are really not to standard, due to genetics or other impacts. In North America most people tend to think, the bigger the better...this does not have to be the case with GDS's.

If you want to put some weight very fast on your dog you can make him "satin balls". As you are feeding dry kibble, I would not suggest feeding satin ball at the same time with the kibble. You should give at least 6 hours between feeding kibble and satin balls
Holistic Dog - Satinballs Satin Balls

I do not recommend that you start your dog on satin balls right now. If his condition does not improve by 18 months of age, I would consider this option. Until then you can try switching his kibble to the one that has more fat content. I would suggest Orijen Regional Red, as it has 35% crude fat compared to 18% in your current dry kibble. With this type of kibble you would also introduce him to new meat protein sources, which sometimes can help gaining weight.

Good luck.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts