German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My dog didn’t win any titles but I’m so proud of my dog for protecting me from a dog trying to attack me

We were on a jog at around 9pm. It was completely dark and out of nowhere a dog came running straight for me. My gsd tackled it, a quick scuffle and I took off running pulling my dog away right behind me. I have no idea what kind of dog it was all I know is my gsd kicked its butt and my dog thankfully wasn’t harmed. I hope that dog was okay too but I wasn’t going back to find out I was pretty scared of my dog being hurt

Has your gsd ever had to protect you?

·
Super Moderator
6,113 Posts
Sounds like all three of you were startled!My dogs would flip out if a person with their dog came running past in the dark.I'm glad everyone is ok.
If running after dark is a regular activity for you consider carrying an led flashlight with a strobe function.They are so intense and blinding (even in daylight) it will stop a dog or human in their tracks.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Good that your dog keeps you safe!

My dog "protected" me from a pair of mini poodles, which was embarrassing.
I was chatting with their owner who was asking about our neighborhood, and they came over and jumped up on me, putting their paws on my legs. I think their paws barely reached my knees even when they were standing up. Then Rumo (my 76 lb dog who towers over them) growled at them! I was pretty embarrassed and I explained to her that he is somewhat protective...

·
Super Moderator
16,483 Posts
Strobe lights are great but also use a steady light! A driver cannot guage the distance to a flashing light easily.

·
Super Moderator
6,113 Posts
Strobe lights are great but also use a steady light! A driver cannot guage the distance to a flashing light easily.
The strobe function is only used to blind an attacker,be it man or beast.Slamdunc recommended:)Works day or night!

·
Registered
7 Posts
I take my dogs on a 6 mile walk most days on logging property. They run all over the place while I walk. So on the way back home, my boy is ahead of me; he turns around and comes back towards me, stops, and just stares at me. I laugh and ask him what he’s doing. What’s wrong? So I pat his head and he walks ahead of me towards what I thought was a stick across our path. It was a snake. Good boy, Bruno.

Attachments

·
Registered
118 Posts
Glad you all are ok.

I have an older version of this
https://www.energizer.ca/lighting/headlights#vhuhdrh
Love it for walking the dogs at night. Unlike a flashlight you can't drop it, it keeps you visible for passing motorists and prevents sneak ups in the dark.
I still often carry my Maglite but that has other uses and is sort of my security blanket.:smile2:
yep thats what mags are for wink wink

1 - 13 of 13 Posts