German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

So i re homed a gsd x husky coming up to 2 weeks now. He is 18 month's old and pretty well behaved. At his last home he spent virtually all his time in there small back garden as they had to young kids etc hence re homing him.

Now our back garden is large and not dog proofed yet so he currently does not go in the back garden. But he is walked first thing in the morning 6.30am for about 20mins then at about midday for 30mins again at about 4.pm for 30mins and 2-3 short walks in the evening up until about 9-10pm when i go to bed.

The problem is i would say every other night he pees in the same spot at some point. I put this down to he has to last about 8 hours with out going out (And he doesn't bark or whine when he needs to go out). But the last few days he has been peeing in that spot not long after coming in from a walk, I have made sure the area is cleaned thoroughly with zoflora odor remover disinfectant. I was wandering if anyone had suggestions about this behavior. Thank you in advance.

·
Registered
16,070 Posts
block off the area
make sure he pees before coming inside
have a tantrum when you catch him doing this (No hitting but a big production - not just 'no' but "NO! NO!"

(and keep him with you so that you WILL catch him).
no more indoor freedom until bufuss quits thinking he has indoor toilet privileges.

In doing your homework that I just assigned in one of your previous threads, look up house training /breaking. You are back to square one until bufuss gets with the program.

·
Registered
2,123 Posts
Also, crate him at night and when you can't watch him. The crate should be big enough he can turn around in comfortably but he shouldn't be able to relieve himself on one side and sleep in the other.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I think you have a few options here.

1. Clean the area with cleaner specific to dog urine. Dog urine has certain enzymes in it that will remain long after you've cleaned it with regular carpet cleaner. I have a small patch of grass I take my dog to in front of the house for our quick "potty" walks and like 90 % of the time she goes on the same portion of the grass.

2. Block the area off for the same reason above.

3. Middleofnowhere's advice is good. I would add, immediately bringing the dog outside. If you catch them in the act, you get to "discipline" them while associate what they should be doing instead. The final time I caught my puppy peeing inside, she stopped immediately upon "No" and finished peeing outside. This was after maybe half a dozen times of catch her in the act. It was those few times of catching her in the act that I think helped out the most

4. Crate her at night. Give it a month for the dog to get used to everything, and then see if the dog will make it through the night.

·
Registered
5,818 Posts
I am not familiar with zoflora. Is that an enzymatic cleaner? If not, it isn't going to work to remove the pet odor. You may not be able to smell it, but the dog can.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts