German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All the things I did wrong to lead up to this........

I had my dog out for a walk, but I didn't stop to put on the best boots I have and it is icy underfoot. He tends to react strongly to strangers so I went to the opposite side of the street and then Deuce focused in on a young guy on the far side of the street.

Before I could react, Deuce was pulling me towards him barking like crazy and this young man is coming TOWARDS US with his hand extended - gloves off. I had him tied to my waist and ended up on the ground in the middle of the road and yes, Deuce did bite the young man.

I am inconsolable. I can't believe my dog did that. I tied my dog to a tree and despite the young man's protests of "its fine, its fine......." I knocked on his door and looked at the puncture wound on his palm with bruising on the top of his hand. He again said "don't worry about it". I have a speech imediment but the whole time I was yelling NO....GO AWAY.....yet got close enough that Deuce bit him.

I have been in tears sine I got home. I don't know where to go from here. I know my dog is protective of me...but this young man offered no threat and got a sore hand out of the deal. I am scared for my dog and feel very badly for the young man. Who knows what will happen........

Donna

·
Registered
8,913 Posts
I am so sorry for this.

I have a dog who is reactive to people sometimes too, usually in enclosed spaces and usually when it is a lone person. Seems he never reacts in a crowd.

I would follow up with this young man, ask him if there is anything you can do. Ensure he is not "really hurt" - as in needs stiches, etc..

Is your dog up to date on rabies? Provide that information to the young man.

I am not sure what else to suggest, this is just what I would do.

Along with get a trainer to help with this issue. Like, now.

I am sure more experienced members will chime in and provide some better information.

My dog has been socialized with everything imaginable from the time he was born and continues to be - sometimes it's genetic, sometimes it's us (I have anxiety sometimes so I am sure that comes down the leash), sometimes it's everything combined.

·
Premium Member
21,368 Posts
Donna, I'm sorry this happened to you , Deuce and this young man.. I would do as elizabeth suggests follow up with the guy, apologize again. He sounds like he is understanding. What I can't understand is, why he'd keep coming with a dog barking his head off at him?? Maybe he's embarrassed as well.

Don't beat yourself up about it, it could have been much much worse, and I'm not excusing what he did, you learn, you move on to try and prevent it from ever happening again:(

·
Premium Member
3,779 Posts
I would preemptively provide him with a bill of you dogs health before someone plants "that dog may have had rabies" seeds in his head and show him you are consulting with a trainer to address the situation, both to demonstrate your taking full responsibility for the situation. Better position for a potential court case.

What kind of collar/ leash do you use?

·
Premium Member
3,779 Posts
. What I can't understand is, why he'd keep coming with a dog barking his head off at him?? Maybe he's embarrassed as well.
Struggling with that myself

·
Registered
8,913 Posts
I would preemptively provide him with a bill of you dogs health before someone plants "that dog may have had rabies" seeds in his head and show him you are consulting with a trainer to address the situation, both to demonstrate your taking full responsibility for the situation. Better position for a potential court case.

What kind of collar/ leash do you use?
I always use a prong (even if only attached to the dead ring) and secure it with a martingale (attached to both) because Stark is almost 90lbs of pure muscle and well.. I am not that strong.

He has knocked me on my butt more than once at training with just his harness on.

He LOVES/HATES? squirrels and I KNOW he would pull me to one if given the opportunity.

I woud suggest looking into a more secure way to walk him by looking at different anti-pull collars/harnsses.

·
Registered
8,913 Posts
Struggling with that myself
Some people think they we must be over-reacting, others probably think they "can handle it" and some are just plain ignorant.

Just a few weeks ago I posted on the other board about having Stark in a down in the middle of a hallway around the corner. I and Stark, didn't see a young man round the corner and then STEP OVER Stark. Stark jumped up, barked and I think tried to snap (I had grabbed his collar and tried to push him over - stupid move on my part as I should have just reinforced his down with a verbal command! Live and learn!) at the guy.

The guy had more than enough room to go around or stop and ask me to move (not that I should of had Stark laying there in the first place - again - live and learn) but decided it was a good idea to round the corner, step over a dog in a down positon that he didn't know while wearing a hoodie with his head down staring right at my dog.

Not sure what was going through his mind. I wouldn;t even try that with a Poodle!

·
Registered
13,884 Posts
so sorry to hear that. Get some control training please. He shouldn't be reacting strongly to strangers. I know you did your best by going to the opposite side of the road --- but unless you live in a ghost town there are going to be people there too. Tying a dog around your waist is dangerous. You can't separate yourself from the dog --get pulled into traffic, get in the middle of a dog fight, have spinal damage yourself . You can't give a correction.
hope the man is okay and you also

·
Registered
5,818 Posts
Donna, I don't have any advice to offer, but I am very sorry this happened to you.
Hugs,
Jan

·
Registered
2,883 Posts
I am very sorry as well.

I do know that if am walking down the sidewalk and see a dog barking like crazy at me and lunging at me AND the owner is yelling at me to GO AWAY, I am not going to take my glove off and approach the dog with my hand out. I am going to give the dog a very wide berth. It may not excuse Deuce entirely but the way I see it the guy certainly contributed to the bite.

·
Registered
207 Posts
I don't know where to go from here. I know my dog is protective of me...
First thing is stop saying this. Stop.

Your dog was in no way acting protective or probably has ever acted protective.

I'm sorry If I'm blunt but I see people make excuses (not accusing you) too much.

Don't tie the leash around your waist. That's the dumbest thing I've ever heard for a reactive dog. Hold the leash in your hand. The prong should be tighter probably.

Talk to a trainer. It will probably be ok.

·
Premium Member
3,779 Posts
What do you mean by tied to your waist btw? Did he get lose or did he bite while you were still attached at the waist? Try holding you hand open, fingers extended and slipping the loop over your thumb, closing your fingers over the leash with your thumb still up like a hitch hiker. Put the thumb down on top. The dog cant pull that leash out of your hand now. To brace for a huge pull, put that hand behind your lower back or butt like a repeller using your other hand to stabilize the leash in front of you. A lot of contact of leash to body provides a lot of friction. It puts less importance on your muscle strength. Put the opposite foot of your leash loop hand forward in a "karate stance" and get low like a half squat. If you do get pulled down just sit backwards and you should remain facing the dog and in a position to possibly use your feet to halt the dog from dragging you far. Practice in the backyard with someone the dog likes and with a toy so you feel how it's supposed to be. :)

I am ~140lbs and neither dog, nor my friends corso (much bigger) can move me. I understand it was on ice, but ring tied to the dog is probably a big part of why you lost your footing

·
Premium Member
3,779 Posts
I am very sorry as well.

I do know that if am walking down the sidewalk and see a dog barking like crazy at me and lunging at me AND the owner is yelling at me to GO AWAY, I am not going to take my glove off and approach the dog with my hand out. I am going to give the dog a very wide berth. It may not excuse Deuce entirely but the way I see it the guy certainly contributed to the bite.
Not to make lite of the situation...

But maybe he thought he had the force? Did he happen to whisper anything along the lines of "you don't want to bark at me dog, you want to be my friend" with a slow arch of the extended hand?

You need a laugh right?

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
My husband just went back to the house and spoke with the young man. Turns out I misinterpreted it all. He was crossing the road - coming towards me - to go to his van. It all happened so fast - that point both the young man and I agree on

The young man says he never heard me yelling, but there is no doubt in my mind that Deuce heard me yelling and that that made the situation worse.

He still says he is not going to report the incident, but we'll see. We explained to him that the dog is healthy, shots utd - as per your advice. I still feel just sick - sad (very) and disappointed.

Donna

·
Premium Member
3,779 Posts
My husband just went back to the house and spoke with the young man. Turns out I misinterpreted it all. He was crossing the road - coming towards me - to go to his van. It all happened so fast - that point both the young man and I agree on

The young man says he never heard me yelling, but there is no doubt in my mind that Deuce heard me yelling and that that made the situation worse.

He still says he is not going to report the incident, but we'll see. We explained to him that the dog is healthy, shots utd - as per your advice. I still feel just sick - sad (very) and disappointed.

Donna
Don't tell him... Go the extra mile to provide him a printout from your vet (just ask for a copy of his records). Also tell him you've secured a trainer (once you have) to ensure there won't be a repeat

If you lose your head after you dog already has, now no one has any hope of controlling the situation. A calm handler makes for a calm(er) dog

·
Registered
266 Posts
Donna, I'm really sorry this happened to you. A few months ago, Frodo bit one of my neighbors. He gets riled up when people walk behind our fence. That day he was barking at her and clearly mad when she reached over fence to pet him. He got her on her knuckle, broke skin but nothing bad. I felt sick for days after that incident doing nothing but apologizing. She of course didn't file a report because she has pet him lots of times but all when he was happy and content. This in no way make makes it better but she knew that were working on his problem with fence behavior. Anyway, I hope everything turns out ok and you can work on any problems that Duece may have.

·
Registered
8,913 Posts
First thing is stop saying this. Stop.

Your dog was in no way acting protective or probably has ever acted protective.

I'm sorry If I'm blunt but I see people make excuses (not accusing you) too much.

Don't tie the leash around your waist. That's the dumbest thing I've ever heard for a reactive dog. Hold the leash in your hand. The prong should be tighter probably.

Talk to a trainer. It will probably be ok.
I agree with the fact that Duece was NOT protecting you - he was more than likely acting out of fear.

Definitely contact a trainer and make sure this does not happen again.

·
Registered
2,951 Posts
Even if the guy didn't intentionally approach you most people would have waited until the two of you were away from his van to get in it? I would,lol So it's not your fault entirely, don't beat yourself up, and get Deuce some help now to avoid another incident. Zoe was reactive outdoors and now is only reactive indoors to kids...just kids and only when my kids are home as well. It took some private training for me to be able to pinpoint the exact issues since before I thought it was everyone in my house, but no it's just kids being around mine.

Private training is EXPENSIVE, but totally worth it. I just finished 6 sessions and things are better- not perfect or even great but better. If I could afford more I would but with needing a new stove, and some serious work to my backyard money is TIGHT!!!!!! I'm also doing some scenting classes with her once a week which is something that would be good for Deuce. Sounds weird and has nothing to do with actually training reactivity but more getting him distracted and engaged in something else then people around him.

Look into it if you can it will help and for now no more walking on ice,lol

·
Registered
104 Posts
I think you better get your dog to a trainer asap!. Next time it could be much worse, the longer you go without fixing his aggression the worse it'll get. Next time you might not be so lucky and could find yourself in court paying up money and putting your dog down... if his aggression can't be fixed then you need to work on puting stronger training in place, taking leadership, and mussel your dog!!!!!!!

·
Registered
16,070 Posts
How about working with "good things happen when we meet people" instead of "oh gosh here comes someone!" That is, have a bunch of high quality treats that bozo only gets in circumstances that he was tending not to listen such as when approaching people. It's amazing how much more exciting a small bit of steak is than that other thing.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts