German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Everyone! I'm very excited to be part of the german shepard community!
I have a 12 year old Shepard named Roofus. He has a VERY sensitive stomach. When I take him out his poop is almost always completely liquid. I can tell he is having diarrhea cramps because he is just continually pushing going around in a circle.
He has been given a prescription and only eats Royal Canin Gastro food. I'm going to start feeding him the broiled chicken and rice diet today. (I have done this before and it works.) Is that going to provide him with the all the nutrients he needs? If not, what can I gradually introduce to him?
Please help!!!!

·
Registered
4,451 Posts
Welcome to the forum! Sorry your dog is having trouble. Have you tried adding pure pumpkin puree in his food? That seems to work pretty well for my dog.

·
Registered
466 Posts
I believe older dogs can always benefit from a good vitamin/mineral supplement, especially one having diarrhea.
Has Roofus been checked for parasites lately?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have used "PPP", and it does work well. I know he needs more nutrition than that though.
I am looking to start feeding him boiled chicken, quinoa, PPP, carrots, and chia seeds. Strangely, he loves chia seeds in elderberry juice.
Roofus has a white patch on his chest just like your dog!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I believe older dogs can always benefit from a good vitamin/mineral supplement, especially one having diarrhea.
Has Roofus been checked for parasites lately?
Yes, he gets tested every year and vaccinated.
What kind of supplement would you reccomend?

·
Registered
466 Posts
She would probably love boiled pork chops and stew beef and chicken livers, beef liver which are all good for her.
Vetri-Science makes some good multi-vitamins for dogs. Look on Amazon or Chewy.com

Sometimes checking for parasites needs to be done more often than once a year. Having worms, and there are many different types, can give diarrhea. And Giarrdia can be picked up from other dogs as well as just drinking contaminated
water or swimming in creeks, lakes etc.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I recommend just home cooking for older dogs like that. They begin to have a lot of difficulty digesting dog food. Why not stay on chicken and rice if it works? As far as balancing it just add a good vit/min mix and calcium to the diet and maybe some fish oil if tolerated later on. DogAware.com Articles: Crash Course on Calcium (Dog World Magazine)
I think I will continue home cooking! It's made a big difference with him already. I've added chia seeds to the mix as well. Unfortunately he's never tolerated fish oil. Thank you very much for the advice!:)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
She would probably love boiled pork chops and stew beef and chicken livers, beef liver which are all good for her.
Vetri-Science makes some good multi-vitamins for dogs. Look on Amazon or Chewy.com

Sometimes checking for parasites needs to be done more often than once a year. Having worms, and there are many different types, can give diarrhea. And Giarrdia can be picked up from other dogs as well as just drinking contaminated
water or swimming in creeks, lakes etc.
I have had him tested for his stomach issues several times. He gets the "Lepto" vaccine every year.
Thank you for your advice! I will look into Vetri-Science vitamins (y)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts