German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My dog,cole, is skinny. I've tried everything to bulk him up.I changed food,went on the raw for a bit but he's a picky eater and will not eat alot. I have him now on Natural Balance lamb and rice formula,he likes it and will eat it everytime but he will not clean his bowl completely. I give him about 4 and a half to 5 cups aday and I say he eats only 2 to 3 cups out of it. You can feel his spine and the top of his hips very easy. I'm thinking of getting nutracal and give him that is there anything else I can do? He's alittle over a year and a half and weights 65 lbs.

·
Registered
12,829 Posts
Lactose free Enfamil baby formula. Seriously. My female was 3 and so thin people used to ask me what was wrong with her. My twins never finished their bottles so I used to give it to her becuase she liked it. Within a few months, she finally filled out.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Have you taken him to the vet lately? Did they say he is skinny? Maybe he will just naturally be small or does he have an underlying problem you dont know about?

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
He was at the vet about a month or so ago. They weighted him,didn't say anything about his weight.He doesn't look sick just if you stand over him you can see a hourglass shape, and like I said feel his spine and hips easy.He is small so I know he won't be heavy which is fine,just I would like to put about 10 lbs on him.

·
Registered
4,277 Posts
Make sure the dog is actually "skinny" and not just lanky due to his age.

Can you see ribs, hip bones and spine? If so then yes, your dog does need to gain weight. First I would run a full blood panel to make sure it is nothing medical causing it.

You want to easily be able to feel the ribs by running your hands along the sides, but not see them. If you can do that then your dog is at a perfect weight.

·
Registered
4,277 Posts
Originally Posted By: matt1970lemansHe was at the vet about a month or so ago. They weighted him,didn't say anything about his weight.He doesn't look sick just if you stand over him you can see a hourglass shape, and like I said feel his spine and hips easy.He is small so I know he won't be heavy which is fine,just I would like to put about 10 lbs on him.
Sorry, missed this reply. He actually sounds normal for his age as they are often thin and lanky. He will fill out, just give it time.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
you can feel his ribs but can't see them. I may get him dog treats,high quailty ones, and give him them. He will do anything for an ice cube,thats normally his reward for doing good but I get that won't help much for his weight.

·
Registered
14,509 Posts
Are you sure he's too skinny or is he just not mature?
Dante didn't really look like a grown up dog until he was about 3 1/2.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
now ya all got me confused. I can feel his spine,but can't see it,along with his ribs and hip bones. He doesn't look skinny like one of those animal cop show dogs,just I guess I'm used to more meat on a dog. I will try to post pics of him with my wife's cellphone she is at work now.

·
Registered
12,829 Posts
With GSDs you're suposed to see the last 2 ribs and a tuck in the abdomen. If you aren't seeing his spine and entire rib cage poking out, he's probably fine. Better thin than fat.

·
Registered
4,277 Posts
Matt, here is an example of a skinny dog. On the vet's scale of 1-5 (1 being emaciated 5 being a real porker) they rate her a 2.

3 is preferable.

Notice how you CAN see the ribs, and if I were to take an above shot you could see some spine and very prominant hip bones as well.

·
Registered
17,397 Posts
Your boy is also pretty young. I think some GSDs stay pretty thin longer than other breeds. It was true for our boy, though he also had some digestive issues. He didn't "fill out" for awhile. Come to think of it, that was true even of my mixed breed -- took quite awhile for her ribs to "spring". When they did, I first thought something was wrong!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts