German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
2,151 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My mixed breed who is somewhere between 13 and 15 had a mammary tumor that was malignant removed less than a year ago. I took her to the vet this morning because her back legs started giving out on her. He took x-rays and not only did the mammary tumors come back, but it has spread to her chest/lungs. I had a feeling she still had cancer, but to see that x-ray image of the cancer in her chest, I lost it. I asked him what the absolute maximum time I have left with her is and he replied that she would be lucky to have six months. Please say a prayer for her that she is not and will not suffer and please say one for me- pray for me that I will have the strength to know when it is the right time for her to pass and that I won't be selfish.

·
Registered
88 Posts
oh hon, I am so sorry. I can imagine you standing there looking at the x-ray.

As a mom, even a dog "mom" you will know when the time is right. I think it is an instinct we have, to not want, the ones we love to suffer.

Yes, it will be a hard decision, and gut wrenching at best, but it will be the right decision and you will know.

Being I just lost mine, I now have the benefit of hindsight. I sit and look at everyones pictures here online. It dawned on me, that I don't have enough good pictures of Bear.

Or I see where everyone has had so much fun with there dogs. For instance, I love where people let there dogs get muddy. I never did that, and wish I had.

Life is short, so go eat popsicles and cheeseburgers. Go play in the mud. Go to the lake. Snuggle on the couch and watch animal planet together.

Kathy

·
Registered
714 Posts
I'm so sorry to hear about you pup. One thing to remember, dogs don't read book or X-rays! I adopt senior/special needs pups and I can't tell you how many times I've heard "X only has days/weeks to live" and the pup has lived many happy, quality months.

My Lab Duncan was recently diagnosed with 2 kinds of Cancer - I now cherish every day, not only with him, but with all my pups, you just never know how long you will have with them.

Wishing you the best for your girl

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
I am so very sorry... prayed to our Lord for you both... What a joy and blessing you've had each other and will again have each other when in Heaven!

God bless! Lovingly and specially!

Tanya

·
Registered
9,348 Posts
Prayers coming your way and hers, too. I am so very, very sorry. You are her family, her friend-- you will know when. She is so lucky to have you looking out for her. Prayers are on the way!

·
Registered
598 Posts
I am so sorry - I know you must be devastated. Just try to make the most of everyday like someone else suggested, take lots of pictures. Your post made me decide to do something that I've thought about, and haven't done yet, and that is - I'm going to get one of those little plaster handprint kits they make for babies. I'm going to make a paw-print of Kodee's for a keepsake. We never know how long we have.

Spoil her rotten (as I'm sure you already are) and know that when "it's time", you will know. She'll tell you in her own soft, gentle way. God bless you both.

G

·
0 Posts
Originally Posted By: SpiritsmamI'm so sorry to hear about you pup. One thing to remember, dogs don't read book or X-rays! I adopt senior/special needs pups and I can't tell you how many times I've heard "X only has days/weeks to live" and the pup has lived many happy, quality months.

My Lab Duncan was recently diagnosed with 2 kinds of Cancer - I now cherish every day, not only with him, but with all my pups, you just never know how long you will have with them.

Wishing you the best for your girl
There's alot of truth in that. Although I lost my Sieg to fast moving lymphatic cancer, we were successful in treating and saving Willie from lung cancer. My vet went beyond the call of duty to help him but she wanted to learn was her initial response to treating him. So she did not charge me for the chemo treatments he got. She said she would write it off as a learning expense. I don't know if she really did that or not. First she got the medication from a human hospital at the cost of $150 a treatment. Then she called her old professor at Cornell and found out how to make it herself from $25 worth of chemicals. She told me that in all her years as a vet she had never met a dog so stoic and so calm as he received 12 injections through a catheter. All the while he looked up at her with calm peaceful eyes of what looked to both of us as hope and gratitude. Willie survived another four years and when it finally was his time my vet excused herself. She couldn't do it. Her staff marveled at that. Her assistant told me it was a first. The tears I heard coming from her office I was also told were a first. My vet has pictures of her patients all over her clinic. Only one picture is on her desk. It's a picture of Willie. She told me that she had always known that dogs were capable of great love and courage, but her experience with me and Willie was life changing. I hope you also have such fortune as Willie and I did.

·
Registered
2,151 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thank you all for your prayers, support, and personal experiences. The only comfort I have is that in time she will be going to a much better world than what we have here and she'll be free from any pain she may have unbeknowst to me.

My vet said that the cancer has spread enough that chemo and radiation would be of no benefit. All I can, as you all have mentioned, is take lots of pictures and spend as much time with her as possible. I just can't get that chest x-ray out of my head. I have never seen something worse than that.

G

·
0 Posts
When it comes to such a final prognosis I would encourage you to seek a second opinion. It may very well be as your vet says. It would be best though to remove all doubt. I can tell you that Willie's x-rays were also quite shocking. He didn't have a really good chance but he did have some chance. Thankfully, he was fortunate. You may be too. You won't really know though from one vet's determination.

·
Registered
9,796 Posts
So sorry to hear your devastating news. Take it one day at a time and enjoy each and every day the two of you have together.

Sending hugs, best thoughts and prayers to both of you!!!

·
Registered
27,243 Posts
Prayers and positive thoughts lifted up for both of you.

·
Registered
157 Posts
What a lucky dog you have had - it has had you for all of these years. My heart goes out to you and I will pray for you to know when the time is right, and know you will meet again.

Donna

·
Registered
9,438 Posts
Just look at this precious girl... That last picture really did me in. My Murphy is 16-1/2. Luckily, she's doing very well, but I know that can't last forever. I understand your pain all too well. My thoughts and many prayers are with you both.

·
Registered
2,460 Posts
I'm so sorry to hear the news about your puppy. Having been there more times than I like to remember I feel your pain. Prayers are on the way.

·
Registered
16,649 Posts
Sorry to hear about your dog. My Chama is in pretty bad shape as well and I just try to keep her quality as life as good as I can. She's always had a weight problem but lately I've been feeding her a little extra just so she feels full...I figure she might as well get as much pleasure as possible for the remainder of her life!

Please enjoy the rest of your time together.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts