German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so Ammo does this really weird thing. When I am sitting on the couch and yawn he will come over and crawl up on me. He does it about 95% of the time. The other times he will **** his head to one side like me is trying to figure out what I'm doing. Anyone else's dog do this? Any idea why?

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
12,379 Posts
Are you making any noise when you yawn?

BTW - thanks alot, when I read this, I had to yawn....

·
Registered
82 Posts
One day I sneezed several times; the Aussie came over to see what I was doing, jumped in my lap, so I petted her. It happened again. And again. And now the only reliable recall I have with her is to sneeze. . . . We often just aren't aware of what we are teaching when we do things.

I think the head tilt is just a typical dog behavior.

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Are you making any noise when you yawn?

BTW - thanks alot, when I read this, I had to yawn....
I do make a sound some times. Not always though. He does freak out when I sneeze too. If I sneeze he is usually up in my face.

·
Banned
15,195 Posts
isn't there something about a human yawning and sending some
sort of signal to the dog? it's like yawning in front of a human. you
yawn and they yawn. lol.

Ok so Ammo does this really weird thing. When I am sitting on the couch and yawn he will come over and crawl up on me. He does it about 95% of the time. The other times he will **** his head to one side like me is trying to figure out what I'm doing. Anyone else's dog do this? Any idea why?

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
isn't there something about a human yawning and sending some
sort of signal to the dog? it's like yawning in front of a human. you
yawn and they yawn. lol.
For my dog it seems to be a sign that my face is in distress and needs a closer examination.

·
Registered
268 Posts

Not weird at all. I love it :wub:

·
Banned
15,195 Posts
your dog can learn several commands for the same action.
you can teach your dog to come when you "sneeze" (as you
did, lol.) and you can teach your dog to "come" verbally.
for the dog's sake i hope you don't have an allergy or catch a
cold. lol. on second thought the "sneeze" command is pure
genius because a stranger won't be able to call your dog. lol.

One day I sneezed several times; the Aussie
came over to see what I was doing, jumped in my lap, so I petted her.
It happened again. And again.

>>>>> And now the only reliable recall I have with her is to sneeze<<<<<

We often just aren't aware of what we are teaching when we do things.

I think the head tilt is just a typical dog behavior.

·
Registered
244 Posts
on second thought the "sneeze" command is pure genius because a stranger won't be able to call your dog. lol.
I gotta agree with that observation. When we are around other owners with their dogs Indi gets very confused because she is hearing her commands to do conflicting things from different places. She usually just gives up and lays down with her head between her paws in frustration and waits for it to get a bit quieter.

Wheelchair Bob

·
Registered
2,150 Posts
Yawning is a calming signal for dogs

I've heard that with horses (horses getting a massage will frequently yawn and lick) but I thought with dogs yawning was a sign of stress? Perhaps he's worried that you are feeling stressed.

My pup kind of freaks when I sneeze. lol She will allow one sneeze, any more than one and she jumps all over me as if to tell me to cut it out, and stop being silly. lol

·
Registered
632 Posts
Lip licking, yawning and sprawling out are all signs that generally indicate the dog is relaxed or happy.

·
Registered
32,013 Posts
Lip licking, yawning and sprawling out are all signs that generally indicate the dog is relaxed or happy.

This, so what that says to your dog, when you yawn, is that you are happy he may approach you safely for comfort/companionship.

I wonder if he normally feels that you are unapproachable, the leader, the god, she-who-must-be-obeyed. I think that if my dog was doing this every time I yawned when sitting on the couch, I would try to be a little more relaxed and PLAY more with the dog. Training is great, but, I don't know, it sounds like maybe the dog is not aways comfortable in your presence. Maybe training would sit on a back burner for me, and I would spend more time yawning and scritching the belly, doing some tug, maybe do some agility.

Of course I could be all wet, and you may just have a dog with excellent manners.

Years ago, I had a friend over who was a little afraid of my dog. The dog in turn was a little wary of her. I told her to yawn. She did. The dog came up and they were buddies then. She was really shocked but it worked.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts