German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday i went with my friends to the dog park(and ofcourse my dog :p)
My friend gave him commands while he threw a tree branch to him.(which i stopped later on when i saw it was a bad idea) it messed my dog's brain.
I called him couple of times and he ignored me, which have never happend before.
He was too obsessed with his stick and I felt
like he didn't give a crap about me.
Obsession example:
After I hide his stick he finds a new one.
it's like a never-ending cycle i hide his toy and he finds another one...

:help::help::help::help:

·
Registered
5,126 Posts
I would look at this way. I would be happy my dog has such a great ball/stick/toy drive because I would use that as a training reward. I would be the holder of the ball and stick on walks and I would be the one playing fetch with him as a reward. I would also not hide his toys. If I did allow him to play with someone else - I would have a second ball/stick so when I needed to leave I would also use that so he could come to me. I would also play fetch/tug with him and be sure to let him win - that builds confidence and the bond between us.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i hide his toys because when other dogs will get close to him while he's holding the toy he will show his teeth growl and maybe bite.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have a german shephered he is loyal but sometimes he ignore me...so tell me how can i change this habbit of my shephered

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
You have to give your dog what it wants but aim to control it through it's desire to get it. So you should offer the object to him but not let him have it until he gives you some behavior you want. That might be waiting for patiently 30 seconds. Then throw it. Later you can build it up to longer.

Teach the dog, if it returns with the stick you will throw it straight away as a reward. Also teach it to drop the stick on command. Another thing you can try is to put the dog sitting and walk away and drop the stick and return to the dog. Then send the dog to get the stick. You might need a friend to hold the dog at first but the dog will start to realize it gets it's fun by waiting for you to give it a command.

Basically you can start to build up obedience like Sit/stand/down, heeling, send out, recall using the stick/ball/tug as bait and reward. Over time you'll learn how to motivate the dog or sometimes de-motivate it to get it to an energy you enjoy working with.

Your friend could easily train your dog with the stick but you are hiding the stick from your dog. Who will the dog follow? You have to accept the dog has this drive and needs to learn that you control the game but that he will be fulfilled by the game.

All dogs imo need this kind of training or else they are running around with no control and getting obsessive about things. It is our job to make the dog work constructively to learn and develop skills.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts