German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi can anyone please help, my german shepard is 10yrs old and he has very itchy ears, he is constantly scratching them and even rubbing them on the grass and moaning. When he shakes his head I can hear liquid in them. He wont let me go near his ears to see.

I have taken him to the vet and they say its an infection they prescibed drops but it seems not to be working

Has anyone got a solution from past experiences.

Any help would be appreciated.

Kind Regards

·
Registered
10,216 Posts
My pup who is 2-1/2 has had ear problems his whole life. As a pup he was trained to let us mess with his ears, his teeth, his paws, etc. When his ears flare up we don't have any problems giving him his medicines.

His vet gives us Otomax and it has alwayas worked great but you have to follow the instructions. I know that there are alot of people on here that have better advice, but you gotta give him the ear drops as precscribed or his ears won't get better.

·
Registered
7,764 Posts
otomax is usually what is prescribed for most infections, but i would not use it on a regular basis for chronic ear issues, as it can cause deafness long term.

if your dog does not let you near his ears, than its safe to assume you haven't been able to get the stuff in to well, or as often as its needed to clear things up.
have you used food reward with him? or given him a bully stick to distract him while your putting it in. sometimes the stuff feels cold to them when you put it in the ears and should be at room temp before applying. how about putting some on a cotton ball and wiping it around. it should feel good to him if his ears are itchy.
the best thing is not to get upset and frustrated with him when you are trying to do it, this makes things worse. tell him what a "good boy" he is, and talk in a calm voice.

debbie

1 - 3 of 3 Posts