German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
My dog has now had diarrea for 2 days. We've only had her a few week and she is a little underweight (only 25kg at 4yrs old) so I read somewhere that eggs help with gaining weight. I have her half with her morning meal and half with evening. We are also in the process of changing her food as she was on really rubbish stuff but shes still only just over 1 week into this process. She has been off her food today. I have tried rice and chicken, her old biscuits and her new ones. All she will eat is her new ones. Should I give them to her anyway even though she wasn't fully eating them yet? Just feel i need to get something down her as she is so little anyway

·
Registered
851 Posts
The biggest risk with diarrhea is dehydration, so it's as, if not more important to make sure she's drinking enough water. Have you taken her to the vet to rule out health issues? The bland diet would be best until her stomach settles, but I don't think it would hurt to give her biscuits if she will eat them ... until her stomach settles, though they may just prolong the diarrhea.

·
Registered
868 Posts
Since she's new to you.....I'd see a Vet first and take a stool sample with you.....very well may be worms or parasites of some kind...as Tom said be sure shs's healthy first....then I'd start working on what to feed her.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a question as well... My 8 wk old pup had diarrhea last night, 2 fairly normal bowel movements that I know of today... And diarrhea again this evening. I was a little concerned but as we've only had him two days, I figured I'd give him time to adjust. Took him to a pond today.i don't think he drank much water if any... Nibbled on some weeds while we were there. Drove home and within 30 minutes of being home, he vomited twice. Drank water in between. Vomit mostly had the appearance of saliva. Husband came home and Tucker had aforementioned diarrhea episode. Acted pretty normal though... played a bit. After a few minutes of playing, he started heaving and vomited again. This time it seemed slightly like stomach bile. But still mostly clearish. Should I be worried? He's not as willing to eat as he was yesterday. (But then again he cleaned out the cat food this morning before we could stop him) he doesn't seem lethargic really.

·
Registered
856 Posts
I have a question as well... My 8 wk old pup had diarrhea last night, 2 fairly normal bowel movements that I know of today... And diarrhea again this evening. I was a little concerned but as we've only had him two days, I figured I'd give him time to adjust. Took him to a pond today.i don't think he drank much water if any... Nibbled on some weeds while we were there. Drove home and within 30 minutes of being home, he vomited twice. Drank water in between. Vomit mostly had the appearance of saliva. Husband came home and Tucker had aforementioned diarrhea episode. Acted pretty normal though... played a bit. After a few minutes of playing, he started heaving and vomited again. This time it seemed slightly like stomach bile. But still mostly clearish. Should I be worried? He's not as willing to eat as he was yesterday. (But then again he cleaned out the cat food this morning before we could stop him) he doesn't seem lethargic really.

I don't know but it seems like a lot going on in 1 day, from eating cat food (which is a no no) to the visit to the pond and eating weeds and maybe drinking dirty water....could be a bunch of reasons why he vomited. He's also 8 weeks old which means you probably just got him...pup is taking time to adjust to his new surroundings. Any changes and pups usually get diarrhea. But just like they said above, you should probably have a vet check it out. We're not vets here and any advice we give is through a limited amount of knowledge that you provided us.

·
Registered
5,705 Posts

Yes, you should be worried. Pups with diarrhea AND vomiting is always a vet trip. Diarrhea alone might be worms, but once vomiting is added in, it becomes a vet visit. The symptoms you described happened recently to a foster pup, and the vet clinic's response is "come today, as soon as you can." It turned out the pup had eaten part of a toy and had a partial blockage.

They dehydrate faster than adults, and vomiting with loss of appetite in them can be a sign of bad, bad stuff (including parvo, by the way).

1 - 6 of 6 Posts