German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 137 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 4 year old GS has bit 3 people. Each situation has been the same thing, he was in the fenced yard, and one 12 year old boy reached down over the fence to pet him, and he jumped up and left teeth scrape on his chest. Another time a boy hid by our fence and he nipped him in the back leaving no mark. Today he bit a girl he knows as she reached down into his fence to pet him. He has fence line aggression if you can call it that, but when people are in the yard or the house, he has never shown any type of aggression to anyone. He barks at the door, and barks at anyone passing the fence line, even people he knows, but once inside the fence he is totally fine. I am really nervous about todays event. I am taking him back to his original trainer, and meeting with his vet tomorrow, any suggestions would be appreciated.

·
Registered
13,884 Posts
grrrr -- management .

If you know the dog has a problem and a history at the fence line then prevent the dog from being there . So simple. Put the dog into a safe enclosure closer to your house , in a nicely landscaped sheltered area providing some esthetic appeal and shade and windbreak for the dog.

Level the ground , put down patio tiles or poured concrete . Get an escape proof kennel and when the dog is not under your direct supervision (with training and consistent response from your dog) then the dog is put into this 10 x 10 or whatever size you want to make it kennel. This way people can't reach over . He won't be fence running or agitated by passersby or dogs . If the dog can jump up and scrape the chest of a 12 year old dog I bet you anything the dog can and , one day, will, jump the fence . Big fiasco.

3 times --- . Original trainer is not responsible to how you manage the dog for the rest of his life . You have to do it.

You openly admit the dog has fence line aggression -- take him away from the fence .

·
Registered
2,804 Posts
For starters, you need to fix that fence.

It's obviously too short, if someone had their back nipped by the dog.
Again, ... If a girl was able to "reach down into the fenced yard", it's just too easy for someone to access the dog.

Put an extension on the fence.
Put signs, warning people to stay away from the fence.
Secure any openings that might endanger someone standing near the fence.

AND, you also need to train your dog to stay away from the fence

·
Premium Member
21,368 Posts
I would say this is a really easy fix since you say he is fine in all other situations,,

Agree with the above, PREVENT people from sticking their hands OVER the fence..

·
Premium Member
14,021 Posts
I would go with a 6-8 ft privacy fence and work with him from there.

·
Registered
3,334 Posts
Do not allow your dog to be in a situation where obviously he WILL bite again and unfortunately suffer the consequence.
He may have gotten away with the last 3 situations but next time you could be in serious liability.

·
Registered
9,796 Posts
I have most of my yard double fenced with 4' between the outer most fence and the inner one ... maybe something like this would help.

·
Premium Member
11,268 Posts
New higher fence - preferably solid. Do not leave dog out unsupervised - Put up signs - DO NOT TRESPASS - DO NOT PET DOG

This is not a hard fix. This is manageable. This is your responsibility to handle more responsibly knowing there is a problem. I only hope your dog does not pay the price for your lack of diligence so far. If you love the dog and want to keep him safe - change the way you are managing him or he will have to be put down if someone sues you.

Lee

·
Registered
144 Posts
I agree with a taller fence but I also believe that when your dog is in their own fenced yard and anyone that comes up IN your yard without permission is trespassing. If they stick their hand over/through the fence and get bit then that's on them. I see no problem with fence line aggression. They are protecting their property. Geez, it doesn't take a genius to know not to stick your hand over a fence when there is a barking dog on the other side.

·
Registered
5,270 Posts
You need to protect your dog. I have a fenced area inside my boundary fence where no one can reach my dogs without climbing over the first one. That way if anything happens they are clearly trespassing on my property.

·
Registered
13,884 Posts
I agree with the above -- a solid fence possibly with a buffer zone of some nice landscaping shrubbery so that the dog does not get a visual on passersby - kids, cars, joggers, dogs , which excite him .

" He has fence line aggression if you can call it that,...............
He barks at the door, and barks at anyone passing the fence line, even people he knows, "

This causes another problem which could get the neighbourhood against you and that is a barking nuisance.
The more he is allowed to do it , watching people go by and continue with their business the more in his mind he thinks he is moving them off . The postman syndrome. Mail delivery person comes, dog barks, mail delivery person goes away. Dog gets reinforced by the normal routine of the person .

Take some of the edge off the dog by taking him away from the fence line .

·
Premium Member
7,904 Posts
I agree with a taller fence but I also believe that when your dog is in their own fenced yard and anyone that comes up IN your yard without permission is trespassing. If they stick their hand over/through the fence and get bit then that's on them. I see no problem with fence line aggression. They are protecting their property. Geez, it doesn't take a genius to know not to stick your hand over a fence when there is a barking dog on the other side.
Except the fact the each bite was to a child. Not an adult. And children cannot be expected to see things the same way. Sorry. It's not acceptable that a dog with serious fence aggression have a fence do easily reached over by a 12 year old.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Premium Member
16,483 Posts
I also double fence. I think it offers many safety advantages and I do not have a problem though I would not predict with certainty that an invader without me present would be unscathed - AND - I do not leave the house with the dog in the inside fence without someone at home.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Except the fact the each bite was to a child. Not an adult. And children cannot be expected to see things the same way. Sorry. It's not acceptable that a dog with serious fence aggression have a fence do easily reached over by a 12 year old.

When i was 12 and even younger than that, I had the sense not to do something like that with a BARKING dog on the other side. At that age knew they could get bit but did it anyway. I also knew NOT to go on other people's property well before the age of 12. The "child" argument on this doesn't fly with me.

·
Registered
6,662 Posts
I agree with the suggestions here to prevent this but BMWHillbilly has a point too.

I think as a society we have gotten a bit looney when it comes to protecting children.

A 12 year old should know better too.

Just yesterday a child playing on a school playground was hit by a falling branch from a tree. It's all over the local news being reported as some huge deal (the kid will be o.k. btw) but you'd think it was another attack like in Boston.

The school cuts the entire tree down, it was a large oak.

They are going to have professional arborists come and check all the other trees and decide if they all need to be cut down now.

The parents are in agreement that the trees are dangerous and should be cut down.

We have just gone way overboard with this 'kids can never be allowed to be hurt' meme.

Where does this end?

·
Registered
6,662 Posts
Yup.

When I pulled a silly stunt and got hurt this is exactly what my Dad would say to me, "Did you learn something?" in a stern tone of voice.

When i was 12 and even younger than that, I had the sense not to do something like that with a BARKING dog on the other side. At that age knew they could get bit but did it anyway. I also knew NOT to go on other people's property well before the age of 12. The "child" argument on this doesn't fly with me.

·
Registered
20 Posts
For starters, you need to fix that fence.
If a girl was able to "reach down into the fenced yard", it's just too easy for someone to access the dog.

Put signs, warning people to stay away from the fence.

AND, you also need to train your dog to stay away from the fence
I completely agree with this. Putting up signs would be the easiest option.

You mentioned that the three times it was with kids by the fence. Would he act this way with adults by the fence? Or what about acting aggressive towards kids away from the fence? I would eliminate all other variables

·
Banned
5,124 Posts
I don't think this is fence line aggression in the way that I have come to understand the term...

IMO fence line aggression is when a dog is contained by a fence, and the fence ramps him up to bark/act aggressive towards anything on the other side of the fence. Either over a fear of that thing coming into the fence, or just an extension of other aggression issues (DA or HA).

If the dog is calm within the yard...to the point that people seem to think its alright to come near the fence and reach into the yard...the dog must not be acting that "aggressively." Unless they're inherently stupid...I don't see a rational person (or 12 year old) walking towards a dog behind a fence that looks like it wants to tear them apart and then reaching in. So if your dog is calm...and then as soon as they reach into the yard he gets them...its a defense of property. Personally...I don't see any issues with that.

The problem only comes up because people seem to be able to get away with trespassing these days and the courts/law enforcement agrees with them. So you just need to contain your dog and protect the DOG from the stupidity out there. Sadly, the dog might end up losing its life over an idiot kid jumping into its yard.

Again...another thread where it becomes very apparent that society expects dogs to be furniture with tails.

1 - 20 of 137 Posts