German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering if any other people have had this problem....Kira doesn't know how to drink water like a dog. She insists she puts her whole snout in the water bowl and just go at it like she's eating, causing her to come up for air every few seconds and coughing. It's actually quite funny. My girlfriend doesnt think so since afterwards the kitchen floor has to be mopped because when she walks away, she leaves a trail of water dripping off her face. Its not a big problem, just wondering if this is unique or other people have had this issue.

·
Registered
9,602 Posts
Oh there are many complaints about this one! Very common. They don't seem to do anything half way. At least she keeps other body parts out of the bowl

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I guess I left that part out.....during the summer I had a big Tupperware bowl in the yard full of water for her and she would love to take a drink...then put her paws in the bowl....then start splashing the water until there was none left

·
Registered
9,602 Posts
That's why I bought a kiddie pool for a water bowl! One of them was always standing in the bowl, then splashing it all out.

·
Registered
3,116 Posts
I had to get smaller not so deep water buckets and attach them with a spring clip to our fence. Jamie would put herself into the deeper bigger buckets spilling and dirtying the water. With the smaller buckets I got from Tractor Supply I am able to keep the water cleaner and so far no dump over with it being attached to the fence. In the house I keep towels and a mop handy for the dribbles.

·
Registered
655 Posts
My girlfriend doesnt think so since afterwards the kitchen floor has to be mopped
A bit of advice from an old guy who has been married a long time. Mop the floor for her often. Be sure your girlfriednd sees you doing it. If it is your dog you need to clean up after the dog.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
A bit of advice from an old guy who has been married a long time. Mop the floor for her often. Be sure your girlfriednd sees you doing it. If it is your dog you need to clean up after the dog.
Haha I know I'm a young guy (only 24) but I learned this lesson long ago. We live together and she is a stay at home mom for Kira. So she does most of the cleaning, but on my days off and before/after work, I help her out as much as I can. She just gets more frustrated because she sees it more often then I do (I work 12-14 hour shifts). But thanks for the advice, I will never turn down advice from someone who has more experience then I do!

·
Registered
594 Posts
Echo will put her whole muzzle and face into the bowl all the way to the bottom...no matter how deep. She does the same thing at the lake: today she looked like a goose with her head all the way under the water and just her back end sticking up....

·
Registered
655 Posts
I have started putting Abby's water in a large stock pot with just a couple of inches of water in the bottom. I need to fill it more often but the shallow water means she doesn't dunk her head in and the sides cut down on the splash.

·
Registered
936 Posts
Mine blows bubbles, eats the water, does the head dunk and or tries to do the old GSD hold down your waterbowl with a paw thing...as if the bowl is going to run away. So we have kennel cups everywhere attached at head height. I got tired of wiping the floor and having wet paw prints all over house!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts