German Shepherds Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
I wouldn't do it, you already have a full plate with Haley as it is. She may get along great with the GSD, but what about the Chihahua? Plus, one wrong move by either dog, and she could attack. I think she is fear aggressive, and that you should consult a behaviorist in your area. Also, how old was your dog when it was attacked? It may be very dog aggressive if it was attacked early on. When she was a pup, how much did you socialize her? If you can find well balanced stable dogs to socialize her with might be a good idea, but I would recomend a muzzle for your dog, for precautionary reason. I also would not use a prong collar, it would probably make your situation worse, IMO. But mainly, try to find a good Behaviorist in your area.

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
That's great that she's improving, but I still wouldn't completely trust her around other dogs yet.

Do you practice NILIF with her? (Nothing in Life is Free) If not, I think you should start practicing it, here's a link that may help you get started, and to give you an idea of what NILIF is about.

http://k9deb.com/nilif.htm

Also, how much do you walk Haley, and how many times a day? How much do you train her?

What methods do you use right now? Do you positively reinforce her when she does good? You may want to read the book The Dog Listener By Jan Fennell. I myself haven't read the book, but I have heard great things about it, and you may want to pick it up at the local library.

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
Haley needs some sort of exercise every day. If it's one thing that I have learned on here, it's that a good dog is a tired dog. So make sure she gets walked 1-2 times a day. Have you gone back to an Obedience class? I think that it would be a great way of rebuilding a bond with her.

Also, if you're afraid of walking her because you don't know how to break up a dog fight, get a big walking stick, or something else to protect you and your dog with. Just continue to socialize her with a muzzle, and try to show her that not all dogs and people are bad. If you could recruit some friends or neighbors that you know to walk down your street and come up and pet her, that would be good.

Definately start practicing NILIF, and using a pack mentality. Always go out the door before she does, make her wait for her food, don't let her up on the furniture, and if you really want her up there, then only on your terms. Those kind of things.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.