German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys I'm new to the forum and I have mix shepherd who we adopted who just turned 4 recently. I love my dog when we got him he was really dirty and skinny and no one wanted him but I couldn't keep my eyes off him he was really big for a 2 month old dog and when we took him to the vet she suggested he may be mixed with irish wolfhound which would explain his size and beard lol . However I'm curious of his other half we've been thinking german shepherd because we use to own one but what do you guys think??
I thought maybe anatolian, belgian mallinois, rhodesian, and of course german shepherd but heres a pic:

Attachments

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
I don't really see either in your dog. Maybe very low content GSD?

·
Registered
230 Posts
I see more mastiff with the coloring and head shape. That's just me, though.

·
Registered
990 Posts
Yeah I'd say Mastiff :) That's a very Mastiffy head and the black and cream colour fits too!
Very cute dog!!

·
Registered
3,514 Posts
He definitely has terrier as well. The close up of his face showed the wire fur.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Mastiff, I'm not sure about what else though.
In the first pic, I can see why the vet said wolfhound with the stance and wiry hair. But with the coloring and confirmation, there is certainly some mastiff in there.

Shelters certainly don't get those breeds right. I tell ya. It's like lab and GSD are their defaults, and then they throw in pit just if it doesn't have the GSD colors. Beagle, daschund, and chiuahua are what I have seen for small dogs.

·
Premium Member
11,131 Posts
There are big breeds with wiry hair - German Wirehaired Pointer, and the Wolfhound....head is not big jowly enough, eyes not set either, for me to say mastiff predominantly - I see Anatolian Shepherd maybe, but I'd venture that any PB are a few gens back and he is a mix of more than 2 or 3 breeds...Attractive fellow ! Nice eye and expression....

Lee

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
thanks alot guys i've never joined a community that replies so quickly and alot of
people would say mastiff when we took him out to like to dog parks etc. Ya and like another person said i don't know why shelters just random guess sometimes but I love him all the same . Were getting another gsd as soon as we move, so he has a buddy and my mom loves the breed so much lol.

·
Registered
5,991 Posts
He is definitely mastiff mix, probably english or bull mastiff. And there is no belgian in that boy at all. I don't even see german shepherd to be honest. He's a big beautiful dog!

·
Super Moderator
27,461 Posts
Gorgeous dog, I also say mastiff. The wirehaired thing is neat and but the size difference of the dogs...

Border Terrier

Hey, maybe something like a Schnauzer mix?

·
Registered
230 Posts
You know - looking at the pictures on a bigger screen (was on my phone earlier), it looks like there might be some Great Dane in there, too. Just thinking with those legs.

Gorgeous dog, though. :) Looks like a big sweetie!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts