German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was walking Benny this morning and a guy yells from across the street " Hey is that a male" I said yes but he repeated the question 3 times because traffic made it hard to hear. He then yelled " He is very good looking I have a female. Are you interested in breeding them?"
I said no and hurried on. He did not ask anything about my dogs health, temperament. I wish now I had taken the time to tell him that anyone who truly cares about dog would leave breeding up to the experts who seek to improve the breed. The whole incident took me by surprise. Has this happened to anyone else? How would you handle it?

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
Disgusting isnt it? I had someone proposition Ava several times, he had a male (that he shouldnt have had in the first place) and wanted to breed him with my girl..........she wasnt even 6 months old yet. Disgusting.......I kept telling him I was having her spayed, I had no intention of breeding her. But OH! dont you know that she should have a least one litter???? I got soooo ticked. I mean, she wasnt old enough to begin with, didnt know what her adult temperment would be, she didnt have any titles, and he didnt even ask......she was a good looking female, that is all he cared about.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Before Sadie was even 4 months old, a neighbor of my parents (who have a white GSD that is on a maybe 10 ft chain) wanted to breed her... They said she should have 1 litter! ha! she's still just a baby herself! Not to mention that their dog is a destructive barker who stays outside alone with little to no human interaction!

·
Super Moderator
32,025 Posts
That happens to me a LOT. Now everyone is speutered, but before they were, I'd just say I couldn't breed them because I signed a contract and I intended to honor it. That usually shut them up.

·
Registered
815 Posts
I know!!! I was at Petsmart a couple months ago with Max (a rescue kitten we adopted who had pneumonia) waiting to see the vet along with a few other people and their dogs.

This disgustingly redneck couple (even by my standards and I have in-laws that live in trailers in KY hollers, absolutely love 'em) was standing with some terrified nerve-bag beagle/GSD looking female and kept propositioning anyone who walked by with a purebred male dog. An employee was walking by with an unaltered pitbull puppy, about 6-8 months old and she just latched on to him (thinking it was his dog), begging to breed the dog to her female mutt. She even asked for his number since she didn't know when her dog would next be in heat.

After he gave her a look and said "No," she turned to her husband and started talking about the last litter one of their other dogs had, some kind of shepherd mix, wishing they hadn't spayed her afterward since "the puppies were so pretty and they could have made more money if only they found a pure GSD to breed to."

Everyone around just tried to ignore her, but it was pretty hard. I was so glad I didn't have my dogs with me, I'm sure she would have asked to breed to Nico (who is thankfully neutered, but I would have loved it if he were intact and I could have given her a zippy reply to educate her a little).

Ugh....people like this are just nasty. I mean, do you really need to have 3" long bright red fake nails and a poofy mullet-type hairstyle, and accost everyone who walks by with a gravelly, 3 pack/day voice? I'm actually kinda glad she was so gross, because I'm sure it helped to repel people who might have been interested.

·
Banned
5,921 Posts
I had it happen from the handyman who did some work on our fence - said his friend had a female GSD who the owner wanted to breed and he liked Baron (2 yo male). Even offered me $200 for a stud (or a puppy).

I had to think of a good reason to say no, not interested.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Happen to me when we bought Sassy's new crate off of CL. I didn't even have her witrh me!! The crtae person had a massive big male and say"When she comes in heat keep me in mind" I want to bred my male.

Thanks , but no thanks-told her that I had signed a contract and could not breed her.

·
Registered
865 Posts
Most of the people who have said this kind of thing are really just uninformed. They think it's a way of paying a compliment to your dog, not really thinking of breeding and pups. It's a great opening to start a friendly conversation that might just open their head to things they hadn't considered.

·
Registered
815 Posts
*And how could I have forgotten this*

I was at Petsmart on Thursday with the dogs and Max to get their shots updated at the walk-in clinic. A man had a stunning 4 yo intact black male APBT with impeccable doggy manners, super friendly with all the other dogs and people. We chatted a while, laughing about the way people in the store often react to seeing a "dangerous" breed in the store.

After he came out of the exam room and was leaving, his dog licked the floor where a female dog had been sitting at the end of the aisle. The guy remarked that the dog always did that (and liked to "sample" female urine) and asked if Nico did that. I told him yes, he did the same until he got neutered at one year old.

The guy said over his shoulder, "Yeah, I been putting that off. Just waiting until I can get him one first," and walked away. "Get him one?" I totally lost respect for the guy after that statement.

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
I've been asked many times if I wanted to breed one of my dogs... It was usually my Golden Retriever because she was very friendly and well trained so she got a lot of compliments. I've had people tell me I shouldn't have spayed her because she would produce good puppies. Yeah right, just ignore the DJD and sponylosis...

The most recent I think was when I was walking Bianca and my foster dog (a longhaired GSD). This guy in a truck pulled up on the street as we were walking and said something like "Please tell me they're going to have babies soon!" (like he wanted a puppy from the pair.)
I said "Sorry, they're both fixed!" and kept walking. Well, at least he got it right that they were actually different genders!

·
Registered
8,913 Posts
ALL the time!

I was asked to breed Stark to a Poodle... yes.. I know...

I get asked all the time to breed Stark or if I plan too... Umm... NO!

I always say, "nope, there are enough dogs in the shelters and rescues, I leave it up to the professionals, would you like the name and number of my breeder?" I can only imagine what my breeder would say to those people if ever they called....
!!!!

·
Registered
12,829 Posts
oh gawd, when I had Luther and Morgan out walking together, I used to get all kinds of nonsense. Once a guy pulled over in heavy traffic to ask me if I wanted to breed Luther to his 3/4 timberwolf becuase he liked Luth's looks (bi-color with a great head). I was horrified and told him quite quickly that Luther was neutered!

Then there's the lady on the next street who wanted one of her dog's puppies and thought Morgan was pretty. She repeatedly chased me down the street about it. I was trying to be nice becuase I used to see her husband around a lot walking the dog. Finally one day I told her Morgan and her dog together would be just too much agression and she's spayed anyway

·
Registered
18,371 Posts
Originally Posted By: Chicagocanine
Well, at least he got it right that they were actually different genders!

I have been asked that when walking 2 males!
Check the plumbing dude!

I guess maybe that is a compliment after a fashion but I just tell folks I leave breeding to the people that know what they are doing as I don't want to problems that go along with it.

·
Registered
5,344 Posts
Originally Posted By: Debbieg Has this happened to anyone else? How would you handle it?
I was walking Tobey (my former, at that time, 14 mths old neutered male GSD - EPI/CANCER boy,) and a guy in my brother's neighborhood said, "we should breed our dogs. I have a female. She's 6 months old and ready to go." I briefly told him about responsible breeding, that Tobey had several health issues and was neutered anyways. He shrugged it off and said, "I find another."

1 - 20 of 24 Posts