German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
That sounds too young to be going for that long. At that age I was taking my pup for 1/2 hour walks.

Also too young to be jogging. I think most people advise waiting until at least a year old before taking your dog jogging... due to the impact on the joints.

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
My son is a jogger but still cant take our 5 month old to jog with him. At 3 months my vet said to keep pup around 20 mins. Try to walk him on the grass. Sometimes depending on where we are walking theres only sidewalk and he gets tired faster. He will then plop himself down to rest. He has no idea at 50 lbs hes too big for us to pick up and carry...lol

·
Registered
710 Posts
I think that is way too much for a puppy.

·
Registered
3,168 Posts
Do not jog with your puppy until they are two years old, it is not healthy nor is it safe. No forced long exercise on puppies.

·
Registered
3,168 Posts
Let him play with toys and go for short walks right now, he doesn't need excessive exercise. When we is 2, you can start jogging with him. Start slowly when he is two and build up his endurance before you go for a whole hour. For no, absolutely no to the 1 hour walks - too much for a baby his age.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ur right .. But the thing is im 2 days at work .. 2 days at home .. When im at work my bro takes him for a really short walk .. Like 10 minutes or so .. So when im at home i feel like i should make it up for him .. And it turned out to be a huge mistake !

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
You can walk with him .. but you have to let him set the parameters. if he wants to stop, you stop. You just can't move forward in rhythmic stride because that's too hard on him. If you can walk with him on a soft surface instead of the road/concrete, even better. If he wants to jog, believe me he will stop when he gets tired and you need to let him and not encourage him to keep going if he needs to rest.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts