German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
He's been in training for protection and tracking since he was a pup. He's a year old now but these were from several months ago.

Just thought I'd share since I'm pretty proud of him :cool:

·
Registered
6,662 Posts
Yeah sometimes that happens, not controversial enough. ;) J/K.

I saw it but I really don't have the experience to comment on the work you're with your dog except to say...

He looks like a great dog to me! He seems to really enjoy his work. (and looks like a WGSL too?)

Nice video.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I wasn't able to watch it because it's not set up for a phone. When and if you are able to set it up for phone users then I can and will watch it. And congratulations on your dog!!

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
942 Posts
I wasn't able to watch it because it's not set up for a phone. When and if you are able to set it up for phone users then I can and will watch it. And congratulations on your dog!!

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
The forum has an app (iphone) and it will take you to the youtube site to watch the video

·
Registered
6,073 Posts
To be fair I do not participate in any protection work. Have seen it. To be honest I'm kind of confused by the training approach here...going to guess others maybe as well. I don't know...

·
Registered
27,255 Posts
Is there training going on or just letting the puppy find the 'bad guy' and get her bite on? The background music has what is going on in the video seem like everything is hectic and rushed.

Because she is so young in the video, she must have confidence and enjoy it~which many dogs do, others bail tail tucked if they get a chance, so it shows she has courage!

Discerning a threat ,outing and control are important to me if I'm training a dog in protection.
I guess it depends on what you want for your end results... I personally wouldn't want to rush an immature puppy with bitework just because they can and it's a blast.
I'd rather develop the control and balance in the drive state/ transitions, that takes some maturity for that to be developed.
Is thrashing/ frontal bites expected in the training you are doing?

I'd like to see a video of her now at a year to see how she's coming along!

·
Registered
3,950 Posts
I watched the video when you first posted. I didn't comment because I hate commenting on videos when I have no idea what the goal of that session was. I cant give feedback because that may not be what you were trying to accomplish or showcase in the video. I also don't know if you're training for PPD, sport or K9 work. So it wouldn't be right to comment because I could say something from a completely different training style or thought.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts