German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my dude going to be 6 month the 21 of this month ... hes only 55 pounds atm !? this weight seems strange for a male no ? and he is still teething .!?! my dog seems to have like 1 month anf half late of all other dogs on this forum .

is it just me ?

·
Registered
6,912 Posts
How big are his sire and dam?

What's he eating?

How much exercise does he get?

Can you see his ribs? Can you feel them?

Can you post some pictures?

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

here is some picture ... few day ago ... hes eating food from the vet . purina is the brand .

hes going to the park 2 time a week for like 2-3 hours .. playing fetch like crazy .

·
Registered
4,828 Posts
Your puppy looks just fine. Not to thin and not too fat, just right.

You might want to check the bazillion threads on better dog food and find a better food for your pup.

·
Registered
6,912 Posts
Your puppy looks just fine. Not to thin and not too fat, just right.

You might want to check the bazillion threads on better dog food and find a better food for your pup.
I'll second that. He looks perfectly fine, but get him on a better food. Purina, science diet, pedigree, iams, beneful, etc are all crap.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
if i fallow what my vet is saying its one of the best i can have from them !!! !?!?!?!?

its the purina veterinary pediatric food .. !? its bad !?!?!?! why a doctor would let me feed my dog with something wrong for him , i dont get it

·
Registered
4,828 Posts
Feel free to check out all the dog food threads. Purina is definitely not one of the best out there.

·
Registered
6,912 Posts
if i fallow what my vet is saying its one of the best i can have from them !!! !?!?!?!?
Hard to believe, but most vets know absolutely nothing about dogs and nutrition. If they did, they wouldn't recommend foods like purina and science diet.

Do they sell this food right out of the office (ie pushing their own product) or are they just recommending it?

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i am buying my dog food right at their office .

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
so i just found there is a store near where i live selling wellness food , is that better ?

·
Super Moderator
32,586 Posts
... hes only 55 pounds atm !? this weight seems strange for a male no ?
No. Keefer was 56 pounds at 6 months old, and now that he's fully mature he's 80 pounds. The standard for an adult male GSD is approximately 66 to 88 pounds, so he's slightly above the midpoint of 77 pounds. Your boy looks to be on target for a similar size.

And yes, Wellness is a better brand than Purina.

·
Registered
6,912 Posts
so i just found there is a store near where i live selling wellness food , is that better ?
Wellness is a million times better than purina. They always try to push the stuff that they sell and usually they only sell the worst foods. Not really sure why, but i guess the more a dog is sick, the more money they make...

There's a million threads discussing this issue. We actually have a few sections dedicated to dog nutrition - one specific for puppies and the other for general nutrition. You'll get much better information from here than you'll ever get from a vet which is pretty sad to say.

Diet & Nutrition - German Shepherd Dog Forums
Feeding Our Puppy - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Here's a good website that rates all the foods out there. Should help you narrow down your search.

Dog Food Reviews - Main Index - Powered by ReviewPost

·
Registered
2,951 Posts
Vets get paid to market brand name foods- like doctors get paid to push drugs. Learn about what ingredients should be in dog food and go from there- Purina is by-products and corn not meant for any animals consumption long term. Wellness, TOTW, Orijen, BB, Acana, and other foods are much better, you actually feed less since they are higher in calories and more filling, and you will avoid health problems down the road.

I would feed a 6 month old 4-5 cups of a premium dog food broken up between 2 meals with good quality training treats. Also I would exercise daily not just 2-3x a week to build muscles which weighs more than fat:)

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
allright , i finaly found a store were i can buy irojen/wellness/bb ...ill go see them later today and buy a 15 lbs bag of one of these brand and try it out ...

hopefully my dude can stop being feed with corns .

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
My male puppy just turned 6 months old yesterday, and he weighs 53 lbs. and is 22 inches at the shoulder. His body is lean and he has good muscle tone. I would say judging by the looks and age of my dog, and the pictures you posted of your dog, it is probably a normal weight to be at for a pup his age.

·
Registered
9,602 Posts
You might try Orijen Large Breed Puppy, but the others are all good too. I had Stosh on Nature's Variety and they don't make a puppy formula. He wasn't too crazy about it and at 9 mos was loosing weight. So I'm mixing in the Orijen and he loves it! Eats really well and is gaining. Your pup looks just fine and that weight isn't out of line, but I think he'll enjoy any of those brands you choose. He might have softer poop until he adjusts but that's normal

·
Registered
97 Posts
Orijen LBP is excellent but very rich food. Elvis has been on this since I got him from the breeder and he's doing excellent. Transition the food very slowly because you are going from a low quality food to a high quality/very rich food and that will not work well if you transition fast. I'd recommend that you transition over 2-3 weeks and keep an eye on your dog to judge whether to speed up or slow down.

Good luck!!

·
Registered
74 Posts
I had Chief on Orijen LBP for a couple of months and it seems he was allergic to something in it. He was itching constantly and have scabs all on his back/back of his legs/etc. Switched him to Blue buffalo LBP and he's been doing A LOT better. It's odd any puppy as young as mine had food allergies, especially to a high end food without the corn and fillers, but it seems like that's what it was. Orijen is still a very high quality food though.

For size and development, your boy seems right on point. Chief is almost 5.5 months old now and about 58#. He also seemed to lose his teeth a little slower than his sister (family member got his sister out of the litter). Your dog is right on track though, no worries!

·
Registered
686 Posts
Vets get paid to market brand name
I will need to look into this. It sounds reasonable but in all the time I have spent in vet clinics (7, almost 8 years as an employee) have not heard of this. I am not saying it's not true . . . just gotta ask some questions.
I know the markup is 10-20%.

And these foods are not pushed to keep your pet sick! My word, I feel sorry for those that feel that way.
Most clinics only carry the prescription food (Hills C/D, Purina EN) for certain medical conditions, for which other manufacturers don't have an option. But, that of course depends on the clinic . . .

·
Registered
514 Posts
He looks good!

My boy is just shy of 9 months and is only 60lbs. I'm hoping he puts on another 10 by the time he matures out. A 70-75lb male shepherd sounds perfect to me!

My boy's Dam is 65 and Sire is 90lbs

1 - 20 of 20 Posts