German Shepherds Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I will start by saying we are taking care securing our gate.
Our dog is 3 years old.
We take if to a dog park several week with no issues.
With that said 2 times this week Sergio has gotten out of the yard and gone after our neighbors dog.
First time just a scuffle. Second time Sergio bit the dog in the neck and drew blood.
Owner and dog were just walking by our house. there dog is fine.
Any thoughts why our dog would be that aggressive?
Thanks in advance for feed back.

·
Registered
33,757 Posts
First, it does not matter that the dog's line is DDR. Second, the cause of the aggression is irrelevant. It's aggression...and it ended with a bite that drew blood. Full Stop.

What matters is there was a 2nd time. It's your responsibility to make sure it doesn't happen again. If that were me, I would have called animal control on the 2nd bite.

So you need to secure your yard and put stellar obedience on your dog so you can call him off with 100% reliability.

·
Registered
2,565 Posts
It doesn’t matter why, he is aggressive so I would just focus on this. Secure gates, up obedience, and stop the dog park.

Honestly, I just cannot imagine a 3 yo DDR playing in the dog park with random dogs. It takes males about 3-4 years to mature so I’m not really surprised he starts showing his temper, right on time.

ETA: Go to the owner, show your dogs vac record, pay the vet bill.

·
Registered
Carmspack Gus
3,862 Posts
I’m going to guess you were not predicting such strong opposition to your story. The problem is, many of us have been on the end of the leash walking by a house like yours. The danger towards the owner and dogs is real and is terrifying for most. Some carry a gun, some bear spray and some large walking sticks, all to beat or kill an out of control dog to save their own.
GSD’s already have a bad rep for aggression when all that is needed is for owners to have control of their dog(s) at all times. You got a freebie with the first escape, the 2nd one could be the road to forced euthanasia if you don’t quickly find a way to contain your dog.
Time to step up and protect those around you as well as your own dog.

·
Registered
3,833 Posts
I’m pretty level headed about these situations. I’ve dealt with my fair share of fights. I know things happen. I’m proficient at handling them. The big issue here is your dog escaped twice in a very short period. It makes it seem like you didn’t take it serious and do something about it. Maturity brings aggression issues and DDD are known as slow maturing.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts