German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here is my recipe for dog cookies. Happy to hear any suggestions or critiques. So far he loves them and it solves the problem of total disinterest in food in the morning. A little something seems to fend
off the occasional morning urps.

2 oz grated parmesan cheese, 2 oz grated cheddar cheese, 10 oz white flour, 5 oz wholewheat flour, 5 oz flax meal, 3 oz wheatgerm, 1/2 c coconut oil, 2 eggs & 8 oz water.

mix dry ingred, mix in coconut oil (melted), then mix in egg and water.
Divide in half, roll out on parchment cut with pizza wheel into strips (no need to separate) bake at 300 til crispy
yield = 2 half sheet pans of cookies

·
Registered
448 Posts
thanks for sharing!! I think this will be so fun for me to do with my kids - they will love knowing that they helped bake "cookies" for the dog!!

·
Registered
5,672 Posts
I would reduce the amount of oil -- that much oil along with the fat in cheese is a lot of fat. High-fat treats can lead to pancreatitis in some dogs. A little coconut oil is good, but a lot is not. You could replace some of the oil with canned pumpkin (though you'll get a more moist finished product).
Pancreatitis (Inflammation) in Dogs

·
Registered
1 Posts
My dog eats anything so food is not an issue. He wants everything that we eat. He eats with us and will be sad if we give him what we eat.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Yep, I agreed with SherW, I can say that my previous experience the dog can simply eat anything that human gives them especially if that food comes from their owner, whatever it is. But there is also a dog that really a picky eater whenever the food brand is changed due to a constraint budget, the dog will not eat it or maybe just eat a few.

The thing is, my previous dog like to eat a banana and even the homemade banana dog treat is the most favourite ones. I guess I share the recipe here. All in all, you need to realize that a dog stomach still cannot tolerate a huge amount of fruit ingredient. So you just need to give it moderately so it will be fine.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts