German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:help:I thought maybe there were some cat people on here that also have GSD's that can help me. Last night I came home from work and went to pet the cat and he grabed my hand with his claws and bit into my hand very hard. I had to pry off his claws with my other hand. This was a terrible bite and is really sore today. I can't believe my otherwise friendly cat attacked me like that. This has never happened before, but I am still in disbelief. Anyone have any ideas why a normally friendly cat would do this.

·
Super Moderator
21,368 Posts
no idea, but a couple things, first, I hope the cat's vacs are updated and second, you really should see a doctor, cat claws can carry all kinds of bacteria, a friend of mine ended up with cat scratch fever once, and it was very very nasty:(

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, yes he has had all his vacs. I immediately thought of that too. I went to the Dr. at 8:15 am this morning. I won't take any chances with a cat bite, I know too many people that have gotten into all kinds of medical issues with cat bites/scratches. Thanks for the reminder though.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Something may have spooked him? Maybe it was a smell on you, or maybe something happened in the house while you were gone. It's possible it's redirected aggression.

But yes, if the bite is really bad and hasn't been cleaned out properly it could get badly infected. I've been bitten a few times myself - not in that playful crazy kitty sort of way - but it has never gotten infected. Usually if it bleeds it's a good sign; the bacteria from their mouth won't build up. But it's always better to be safe than sorry.

I still love my cats to pieces. Animals (cats AND dogs) can be unpredictable sometimes. Usually there is a cause, but sometimes we're in a position where we can't see that cause.

·
Registered
12,379 Posts
One of my semi-feral barn cats will act that way if she thinks I'm not quick enough with feeding her. She hasn't bitten me, but she will swat at me..mostly my legs as I'm walking. She only does this during feeding time.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah, I've had cats take a swat at me, but never a vicious bite like this. I love my animals to death, but this was very strange. I have always said that anything my animals do wrong is a result of something I did or didn't do.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
I would take kitty in to the vet. My first guess would be that he's in pain somehow... to react that way completely out of character.

I hope the bite doesn't cause any infection for you. Ouch!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts