German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 262 Posts

·
Registered
14,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, it's not a Shepherd but I thought it might be worth recording and posting about anyway.

Kaynya is my Chinese Crested, 2 years old. This is her first breeding.

We noticed her bleeding the night of Aug 20th. Took her in for a Progesterone test on the following Thursday because she was flagging like crazy and presenting to Mauser. It was only Day 8 so I figured it would be early but wanted to be sure. The test showed her at 2.5. Our vet said that Sunday would be the earliest we should try breeding her.

The stud is untried. He and Kaynya share some dogs in their pedigree. This will be a line breeding.

Tried Sunday, 8/30 - stud was not interested.

Tried Monday, 8/31 - got our first tie for 13 minutes.

(More details on the above proceedings can be found HERE.

Tried Tuesday, 9/1 - got our second tie for 11 minutes.

So that brings this up to date. We are through Friday but no later. We don't want any eggs being fertilized Monday and then more Friday. That's would make some pups premature.

·
Registered
14,509 Posts
I'm really glad to see you're going to share this with the board, I'm very interested!!!

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
With her interested in Mauser, I'm glad you didn't end up with crested-shepherds by mistake! What a goofy thing that would have been! LOL!

Good luck with the whole process!

·
Registered
6,695 Posts
I saw some GSD/bloodhound mix pups listed in the paper last summer. I was dang tempted to go take a picture coz I bet they were freaky. Now a crested Shepherd, wouldn't that be a first step to a mini-GSD?

I know you're going to be posting baby pics when they arrive, right???

·
Registered
27,245 Posts
I was wondering how many pups cresteds usually have and do you have a reserve list already?

·
Registered
14,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I don't have a list yet seeing that there are three pups spoken for already - me, the stud owner and my breeder (we co-own Kaynya).

Also, since this is the first breeding for both dogs we don't know what they will produce. Once we have a confirmed pregnancy (and a count via xray) then I will announce the litter and start taking reservations.

Cresteds usually have a smaller litter (compared to Shepherds). 3 or 4 is about average but you can get up to 6 or 7. Very large litters are uncommon.

·
Registered
8,913 Posts
I am totally excited about this thread.

I am interested in learning more about breeding (not for use, just for personal knowledge) and watching it happen from the beginning to end will be very educational!

Thanks for posting!

BTW - Just a personal question, if you don't mind.. What drew you to the Chinese Crested breed?

·
Registered
14,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Today we got TWO breedings. Both ties over 10 minutes.

So far I've invested roughly 14 hours in trips to the stud dog and doing the breedings.

Quote:What drew you to the Chinese Crested breed?
The lady that got me started in Shepherds also breeds Cresteds. After meeting hers I've always wanted one. Then I met some at shows and in public and found those to be nasty, snarly or timid as mice things - neither of which I would accept. In doing more research I came to the conclusion that it's all in how you raise them. Some breeders keep them isolated from everything and everyone and then the new owners do the same by carrying them everywhere and babying them.

BIG mistake!! They are, first and foremost, a DOG.

My getting Kaynya was not planned. I had just lost Neke and realized that my breeder hadn't seen Neke or Riggs in a long time. So I decided to take Riggs to visit her. While we were there she said she had a puppy to show me and brought out this little (3 pound) black and white gremlin-looking thing. When I sat on the floor she put the pup down and it rushed to me, jumped in my lap and started licking my face like crazy. Riggs came over to see her and she was all over him too - not an ounce of fear or hesitation!

That was it - I was hooked.

·
Registered
14,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Just a quick addition.

For those that don't know, when I say "tie" it is literal. When a stud breeds a female there is a bulb/ring around the base of his penis. Once inside the female the ring enlarges and 'locks' the males penis inside the female. This is called being tied.

Once they are tied the male gets off the females back and (either on his own or with help) lifts his leg over the females back. They stand, butt to butt, until the swelling goes down in the ring and the male can slip free.

Some dogs can do all this on their own, some may need a bit of help. Some dogs will just stand there and wait - some need to be held still so they do not injure themselves or their partner.

Sometimes the male will not 'tie' - stay inside the female - but will ejaculate. This is called an 'outside tie'. These are less likely to impregnate the female (but still can).

Some ties last for a few seconds or minutes - some can last for over a half hour. I was at my breeders once where they had to get a bag of ice and hold it on the male to get the swelling down after he had been tied for 45 minutes!!

·
Banned
1,754 Posts
Lauri, All females ovalulate at different times as I have one here that goes til day 19 before she is resdy to breed. I know after a female ovalulates that her eggs can only be furtilized for so many hours after, I may be wrong but do believe that I have seen the video from Dr Hutchenson.

Congratulations on the ties, hope she concieves.

·
Registered
14,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Originally Posted By: chuckLauri, All females ovalulate at different times as I have one here that goes til day 19 before she is resdy to breed.
That's why I did the progesterone test at the beginning and was told that Sunday would be the first day to TRY. She still might not be ovulating even now - we just have to wait and see.

The lady with the stud has an Irish Terrier bitch that only stands for the stud AFTER she's finished ovulating! Took her a couple tries at getting the bitch pregnant before she did the progesterone test and found the problem.

I'm letting Kaynya decide for this breeding when she is ready. If it doesn't take then next time I WILL repeat the progesterone tests until we hit the right number and THEN breed her.

·
Administrator & Alpha Bitch of the Wild Bunch
13,571 Posts
Originally Posted By: Lauri & The GangToday we got TWO breedings. Both ties over 10 minutes.
One question... why would you do 2 ties on the same day?

It is typical to do 2 ties, but space them 2-3 days apart... say first breeding Mon, second breeding Wed or Thurs. Semen lives 5-7 days inside the bitch. The reason behind multiple ties is to ensure that there is semen there, swimming around looking for eggs, as soon as the eggs are ready to be fertilized. Multiple ties over several days allows for a bigger window of time for sperm to be standing at the ready to catch as many eggs as possible. But I just don't see the point in multiple ties in the same day. Wondering if there was a particular reason for it?

·
Registered
15,220 Posts
so you got 3 breedings total 1 on one day, 1 another day and 2 some other time? I don't understand why either. usually i do 1, next day another and maybe 2 days later do one more. Last couple breedings, only did 1 breeding.

·
Registered
14,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The reason why we got two ties yesterday is because they were running around together and decided to do it twice.

So no, it wasn't planned (or necessary) - it was their choice.

I supposed we could have separated them after the first one but I didn't see the need.

Cresteds really are different when it comes to the whole pack thing. My breeder can have several females and males all running together - all intact - with no problems.

When we were doing the breedings we had another female out running around with them. Neither Kaynya nor the stud minded.

Once the dogs were tied we stood next to them to keep them from moving around too much and hurting the other.

Forgot to add - since this is Kaynya's first breeding I plan to let her breed as often as she wants (within a 5 day period).

·
Registered
14,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Originally Posted By: Angela_Winstead of just doing the progesterone to see if you got her? poor stud dog, lol
Oh, he enjoyed himself VERY much.
Even tried for a THIRD time right before we left (we decided two was enough for one day).

I'm more of a 'let nature takes it course' type of person, at least at first.
If she doesn't get pregnant then you KNOW I'll be doing the p-tests several times for the next breeding.

·
13,571 Posts
Ah, I see.. so it was the decision of horny dogs.

The repro vet we have worked with for years always advised us to keep the bitch quiet and crated for an hour or so after a tie, to (in his words) "let things settle and prevent leakage". So this is what we've always done. I know many other breeders who do the same. Letting them run around together after isn't common practice. Though I really don't know if there is a truly valid (as in scientific) reason to keep the bitch quiet and confined for an hour, or if it's more an old wives tale.

·
Banned
1,754 Posts
Also I make a practice of not letting the female urinate for at least 20 minutes after the tie, now whether that too is a wives tale is anyones guess

·
13,571 Posts
Originally Posted By: chuckAlso I make a practice of not letting the female urinate for at least 20 minutes after the tie, now whether that too is a wives tale is anyones guess
Yup, that's part of the reasoning as well.. hence why they're crated, to make sure that can't happen. But like I said, I don't know if it's truly important or just breeder legend.

1 - 20 of 262 Posts