German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My first german shepherd as an adult his name is zeus and he is 16wks old. He has some goofy ear stages going on. Everyone seems to love these stages!! Lol (they drive me crazy) he is a big boy already 48lbs.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
Welcome to the forum! I love the ear stages, personally. My shepherd puppy came home with his ears standing completely up and they never came down again. I missed out on the funny stages!

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Nice to see a black, I’m biased lol he is handsome and lucky his ears are up goofy or not, my guys ears are down I hate the look.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes I love the black! My dobe passed away a few months back got ARDS and I didnt want another dog unless it was a black male shepherd. He is awesome tho very smart and willing to learn. Super laid back also

·
Super Moderator
4,821 Posts
I understand worrying but don't. My gal-dog's ears never drooped. My big-boys had a mind of their own, up one day and down the next. Once teething was done they both firmed up beautifully.

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
I have always heard that if the ears were up once before and they drop at any point, they will almost always come back up. Try not to worry too much.

·
Registered
965 Posts
I wouldn't be worried about his ears. I'm jealous lol. Mei's ears went up, then stayed up lol. I didn't get to experience floppy ear stages lol

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yea I won't worry to much. He only has 2 maybe 3 adult teeth. So definitely some teething left to be done. Now there standing. Literally just have a mind of there own today. They seem to flop more when he is hot. Norcal weather. Already in the 90's during day

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
I know how u feel Zeus, mine is 16 weeks as well and it drives me nuts to see his ears down. I get more people asking if he is a black lab, grrrrr but to me he looks like a black collie.

·
Registered
855 Posts
So handsome! I wouldn't worry about the questions, you'll always get them, hahaha. If people ask if he's a lab, just say yup - he's a German one too! :p

·
Registered
312 Posts
Awww he looks like such a happy boy. Black babies are the bestest. And no sympathy for you on heat; it's already triple digits here in southern Az.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Awww he looks like such a happy boy. Black babies are the bestest. And no sympathy for you on heat; it's already triple digits here in southern Az.
Haha yea not looking forward to the triple digits. Any tips on keeping him cool this summer?

·
Registered
312 Posts
We do not do anything with him during the heat of the day unless it's to take him somewhere air conditioned for some mental stimulus and proofing training (Home Depot, PetsMart, etc.). Otherwise all exercise happens well after sun down and first thing in the morning. And he is nutty for ice cubes. Nah, I have nothing to offer up other than common sense, I guess.

He used to be crated with his crate indoors and the opening letting out thru the dog door. He outgrew it and now while we are at work he hangs around belly up on the sofa and although he tries to deny this I have camera footage that he cannot explain away. We need to buy him another big plastic kiddie pool. I still don't know how he flipped and emptied the old one as a pup but then he dragged it around the yard and savaged it. Taking bets on how long a new one will live now that he is twice the size but he has stopped killing his water bowls and the pool was initially intended to make sure he could still hydrate.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts