German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6,073 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Rusty was neutered yesterday at 3. His prostate was enlarging off & on and was causing discomfort especially his rectum. I never want to deal with PF's & the pressure he was experiencing from his prostate enlarging that was a concern. Also just uncomfortable in general. The vet said last summer not to neuter based on that one incident alone but said it was time a couple weeks ago, I agreed. He also had a fever an infection was present.

His surgery went well. I was very nervous about the anesthesia more so than the surgery it's self. The vet & staff said he was well behaved & cooperative. He was there from 8am to 4pm. Several of the staff came out to pet him before we left:)

The site looks good, neat. He's stitched on the inside. The vet said peroxide once a day on the site. Is there something better that's recommended? He also said by day 4 the area is pretty itchy.

Anything that helped your boys post neuter please share. I'm also taking the rest of the week off to keep an eye on him.

·
Registered
8,690 Posts
Delgado was on Metacam for 5 days, outside of that I just kept him as quiet as possible for two weeks. The first week was strict crate rest pretty much, the second week he got onleash walks and a little more freedom but was still monitered.

He never had any swelling and never needed a cone, and the stiches all dissolved without three weeks without a problem. Lots of stuffed Kongs, frozen raw bones, and onleash quiet walks

·
Premium Member
3,779 Posts
:-( Don't look at my post in the other prostate thread

·
Registered
121 Posts
Does your guy have a cone? Krok does and man, what a pain in the butt that thing is. I take it off of him to eat and drink and go outside--but watch him very closely. He won't eat, drink or do his business with it on.

Hope your guy's recovery is fast. Krok is 9 and I can tell this was harder on him than my younger dogs.

He has prostate issues, too. At least we hope that was the issue and the neuter will fix it. Did you dog have any peeing issues? Krok leaks everywhere. FX this works for him. And that your guy gets relief soon, too!

Keep us posted.

Dee

·
Premium Member
7,904 Posts
Actually, walking is good for them. Gets their mind off if surgical site and helps increase blood flow.

Cool compress if he seems bothered by site.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
890 Posts
Joey was neutered last November at age 7 due to an enlarged prostate.

He was on Metacam for 5 days. He wore the "cone of shame" for 2 weeks (what a pain). He ate, slept, did business with the cone on. We slept with him on the first floor for a week, then he was allowed to go back upstairs to our room. Short walks outside on a leash.

My husband's retired; Between hurricane Sandy and vacation time, I was home 10 days with them.

The site looks good; stitched on the inside.

He was a trouper - a lot better than we were!

·
Registered
6,073 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you everyone for the feedback!

hunterisgreat- NOOOO...now you tell me! Just kidding;)

We actually explored that option as well. If he was younger and still growing I would have went down that road. I absolutely believe they benefit from those hormones for optimal bone growth & honestly throughout their life. At 3 years old if he did not have this prostate issue I would have never neutered. I went back and forth on this. Not a easy call. *sigh*

mamma6, yes he does have a cone. I have only put it on him a few times. He's not a fan but I found if it's resting down by his shoulders he will tolerate it. He's been pretty good about leaving it alone but I have been home with him and catch him if he starts licking. No, he never had any peeing issues, thankfully. My flags for him was the way he was squatting to poop. I could tell he was uncomfortable. He would squat several times & almost try to pinch it off...I know not a fun description but the best way I can describe it. I brought him in thinking he had an impacted anal gland but his behind looks good, no impacted glands no sign of PF's. That's when he checked his prostate and said it was very enlarged, shaped normal just enlarged. We have kept an eye on it for the past year.

I hope your boy gets relief. I'm sure this type of surgery is harder on an older dog recovery wise.

gsdsar, thank you. He was pretty wiped yesterday but we did a short leashed walk this morning and he's been following me around while I do chores. I agree moving around is good for blood flow!

Again, thank you everyone:)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts