German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6,073 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Something happened over the weekend that was actually pretty cool.

My neighbors have small children. The youngest was having a b-day party (1st grade) and the kids were running all over the yard. Adults spread out kind of everywhere. I was planting flowers in the back. Rusty was laying behind me but watching the kids. All of a sudden he runs for the wood line - our property backs dense/thick protected wetlands (he's on a invisible fence) and starts barking, running back & forth and keeps looking back at me. I get up figuring I will see a deer, nothing. But he just won't let up. Then I see a flicker of red clothing. Here a younger sister (3 years old :eek:) of one of the guests ran into the woods by herself to hide. No one saw her run off. These woods are thick, swampy in areas. It would be easy for a little one to get back there and turned around out of sight of the houses and everything looks the same, which direction back to the house. Yikes. I swear he knew she shouldn't be back there.

I took Rusty off of his collar to go back there with me. I was yelling for her to stop, not to move. Rusty caught up to her and was circling her and licking her face which made her laugh.

By that time the mother was coming back and some of the other guests. Her older sister was tasked with watching her...but she's only 6:rolleyes: I know with small children they can take off so fast.

Good boy, Rusty!

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
Wow, good boy Rusty is right! What a smart, good dog! Your neighbors should buy him a steak. ( I wouldn't hold my breath though. Any parents who expect a 6 year old to watch a 3 year old. /rolls eyes Nuff said.)

·
Premium Member
7,820 Posts
That is fantastic. Good job Rusty. You both should be very proud.

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
That's awesome at least he was watching her, yes they take off in the blink of an eye... Good boy Rusty..

·
Registered
6,073 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you everyone. Yes, I am very proud of him. He's such a good boy!

My neighbor who was having the party knows Rusty very well. We walk our dogs together. She has a lab that's a couple months older, we have even taken some of the same training classes together. She later told me she invited way too many kids. There just wasn't enough adults to watch all of them especially if they were going to be running around outside.

The mother of the little girl was thankful (I do not know her). She was giving the 6 year old the evil eye but honestly that's a big responsibility for a 6 year old to watch a 3 year old when they are trying to have fun themselves at the party with their friends.

Afterwards some of the kids came over to pet Rusty. Throw his ball around, which he gladly chased after and brought back. The son of my neighbor is 8 I believe, he's very fond of Rusty and asks to come over to play with him sometimes. At one point I heard him yelling at one of the kids "no, Rusty is MY friend, not yours!". At that point I was done and told everyone Rusty needed to go in for a nap! LOL

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
I know I hate when parents put that type of responsibility on another child we as the parents should be watching and not make our kids bare that type of responsibility my kids are 3-5-7 and I could never say to my 5 or 7 yr old to watch my 3 yr old just not fair and then to get mad at them smh...

·
Registered
7,394 Posts
What a great boy that Rusty is. It sounds to me like he'd make an outstanding tracking dog if you are ever looking for some sort of training to do together.

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Good dog! See, GSDs aren't all 'bad', he set a good example for his breed. And as for the mother, that is an awful lot to ask of a 6 year old. I have 6 and two year old, and it is completely out of the question for the 6 year old to watch the two year old for more than 30 seconds TOPS!

·
Registered
6,073 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
What a great boy that Rusty is. It sounds to me like he'd make an outstanding tracking dog if you are ever looking for some sort of training to do together.
Yes!! He has a mighty nose. My husband & my two girls will "hide" on our property I will hold him back and pick one for him to find by name, he will go find the correct person. I have tracked with him on my own using food, different types of wood, etc but would love to in a formal training setting. Thank you:)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts