German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,652 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't advocate doing this, but I wanted to try it with Koda since I can completely trust Riley, my other dog, when I do it, but...

I took Koda on a walk last night and wanted to see what he'd do when I dropped the leash. He stayed right next to me, on my left, and walked with me! I haven't had much opportunity to work with him off leash (He was technically still on, but he could have run if he had decided to. Hence why I left him hooked to his leash, so I could step on it if necessary.), so I didn't know how he'd do, but he made me proud! When I stopped, he stopped, and sat when I asked him to. When we got to street corners I told him to stop and sit, and he did! I saw him continually looking to his right to make sure I was there. There was only once or twice he stopped to mark a bush without my letting him know it was okay, but he never veered off the sidewalk otherwise. My Koda is such a good, smart boy! :D

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
Off-leash is one of my goals someday. Nice job Koda & great training Melina!

·
Registered
4,259 Posts
Great job, Koda!

·
Registered
2,652 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah, it gives me a lot of confidence in him. When I was taking him to the dog park, he would run off and do his own thing, and seldom stay near me or come back when I called him. It was disappointing, I thought he wanted nothing to do with me and was never going to stay around me. He acted in a completely different manner than Riley does. She wants to be next to me at all times and I can take her hiking off leash and she won't even go off the path, no matter what distractions. Same thing with on the sidewalk, she won't stray from it.

Then again, I should have had more confidence in Koda as when I did work with him on a long lead, he almost always came when I called him, I didn't have to pick up the leash and reel him in. He's already miles ahead of where Riley was when I got her. I remember taking her to the beach when I was in school in California and having to chase her down because she wouldn't come back. I tried everything to get her to listen off leash. Treats, a firm tone, nothing worked. It finally just clicked one day apparently as I can't get rid of her, haha. :) As I said, it makes me feel pretty good about being able to take Koda off leash since he's already so much better than Riley was at this time.

·
Registered
2,652 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I worked with him again last night and he's getting even better! This time I tried running with him after dropping the leash and he stayed right next to me. At one point, there was even a biker coming down the sidewalk towards us, so I made him sit and stay, then stepped on the leash just to be sure he wouldn't go after him, and he didn't do anything as the biker went past. He's never gone after anyone on a bike before, but he looked like he was fixating and I wanted to make sure he wasn't going to try to follow him. I'm proud of my Koda!

·
Banned
5,219 Posts
How old is Koda? By the way, congrats. It's very heartening when they make the right choices on their own.

·
Registered
330 Posts
So glad to hear he's doing well. When I walk Zeb I have the leash draped across his back or he "walks himself" by holding it in his mouth. Having them stay by you like that is awesome!

·
Registered
906 Posts
Good for Koda!! I am starting to work on that with Brody as well!!

·
Registered
2,652 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
How old is Koda? By the way, congrats. It's very heartening when they make the right choices on their own.
He was a stray, so I can't be certain, but when I first got him the Vet said about a year and a half...Making him about 2 right now.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts