German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1 year old GSD

Taken from an abusive family which apparently was caught holding him down and beating him with sticks. Lord knows what other abuse and mistreatment he endured before that.

About 4 hours of driving later, I finally got to meet him. The first thing I noticed as he approached me was his calm, relaxed and confident demeanor. He reportedly had zero previous training, even having to be house trained by the foster family. There was no way I was going to leave without taking him home!

The first issue was that he was very afraid of getting into cars; mine included. Unfortunately we had to gently lift him into the car completely against his will to get him inside, but the bright side is he is very sweet and only displayed fear and no aggression. I had confidence that whatever caused this reluctance would resolve itself with me, and I am happy to say it took but 2 days for him to completely rid of the fear and he now happily and eagerly jumps onto the back seat as soon as I open the car door.

He had quite a bit of anxiety as I drove away with him, but it didn't take long for us to bond. This was him about an hour into the ride, asleep with his head snuggled against my arm. :)

Took him to the vet the next day, and got a completely clean bill of health.

About him; in short, he's very chill and relaxed. He's definitely not trained with your basic commands, however he's incredibly smart, obedient and seems to really understand what I am trying to get him to do or not do. He's completely attached to me. Being only about a year old, he's quite young but shows a lot of maturity and confidence. He watches and observes everything like a hawk and always investigates, but almost never barks.

All in all, I truly love this dog and I am so grateful to have him. We've bonded tremendously in the few short weeks I've had him and i'm looking forward to many wonderful years with my new furry four legged pal.

Thanks for reading!

·
Super Moderator
6,294 Posts
Awww so cuddly!Glad you found each other!

·
Registered
12,379 Posts
He is gorgeous! Thanks so much for rescuing him! It looks as though fate was in both of your corners when you met him!

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
Great looking dog. You are a great person for rescuing him. He sounds like a good soul. I'm sorry to go off on a rant here but I hope his former owners burn in **** where someone holds THEM down and beats them for forever!

·
Registered
778 Posts
:welcome: to the board and thanks for saving Luca.

Seems like he is bonding fast. Good for you guys.

·
Premium Member
7,820 Posts
Welcome to the forum.Luca is very handsome. Thanks for giving him a home. He looks pretty comfy there on your legs.

·
Premium Member
1,068 Posts
Awesome. You were made for each other.

·
Registered
2,387 Posts
1 year old GSD

Taken from an abusive family which apparently was caught holding him down and beating him with sticks. Lord knows what other abuse and mistreatment he endured before that.

Some people are idiots, what else can you say?

So glad Luca is safe with you now, he is a beautiful boy! The last picture made me smile as my 85 pound horse is always lying on me in one position or another. Usually, he lies sideways with his head and torso on me, but this morning, he decided to flop completely down with his head near my head and his legs stretching in the direction of my feet. Then, he decided nothing would do but to give my neck a bath. Sheesh!

·
Premium Member
1,165 Posts
He is beautiful! Thank you so much for rescuing him. He lucked out getting you! Such a nice dog. :wub:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
He's growing quick! He weighed in at 89 lbs at his first check up and now yesterday he weighed in at 97 lbs! That was even after a couple days of some nasty diarrhea from giardia.

He's definitely not being overfed and he's getting plenty of exercise with daily sprints and running where we play off leash in a nature area with acres and acres of open meadows and trails.

Speaking of, his training is going very well. He's a very quick learner and extremely eager to please.

One of his most notable training accomplishments so far is staying where told. I most often practice with him being told to sit and stay at one end of the house as I casually walk away (keep in mind he's glued to me otherwise, goes everywhere I go, always) even as I go upstairs and then I will call him and he comes with quite the fury, sounds like a horse racing through the house haha. So all in all he will stay where he is told for roughly 30 seconds even with me out of view.

He's also learning house rules very well. He won't go in through the back sliding door even if it's left wide open. He'll just sit there and wait for the go ahead or stick only his head in and stare until someone calls him in haha.

Oh yeah did I happen to mention he's incredible?

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
:welcome:

So wonderful you were able to rescue Luca!! He is a gorgeous boy!! Definitely a win-win situation for both of you. Enjoy the journey with your new best friend. :)

·
Registered
7,466 Posts
it is VERY CLEAR that this dog knows he is HOME. thank you for helping him, and many blessings to you.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts