German Shepherds Forum banner
41 - 57 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
8,770 Posts
I have said before that one of the crappy parts about being in this online forum is that "we" are constantly loosing dogs. We see them as puppies, young dogs, watch them grow and learn and succeed and we grow to love them. We celebrate their accomplishments and cry at illnesses and injuries. We worry and fret as a community.
The upside is that we grow to love them.
I would have happily added Patton to my board and keep.
Hugs to you

A Heart Of Gold
A heart of gold stopped beating,

Two shining eyes at rest.

God broke our hearts to prove to us,

He only takes the best

– Author Unknown

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
What a beautiful poem.

So sorry to hear about Patton :-(
If only they could live forever.

When we thought we were going to lose our dog to bloat, I caught my husband tucking a piece of Rumo's fur into his wallet...

·
Registered
782 Posts
thanks, so far my gal-dog is clueless that the big-boy won't be back. That is a blessing, She doesn't understand why we would cry our selves to sleep all last week as we watched our boy loosing his fight. Sometimes ignorance really is bliss.
True. That is an encouragement. My cat died in June, and his sister was prowling around the house and calling for weeks afterward. It made the whole experience so much worse, but I'm so glad she got lots of love and has seemed to forget.

·
Registered
8,315 Posts
Heartbreaking. I’m so sorry and will miss Patton’s videos. Such a handsome boy. Your home must be very quiet. No doubt he has found his grandma and he is watching over his family.

·
Super Moderator
5,562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 ·
Mom was living with us when she was hit with her 2nd bout of Cancer. She did hospice at home. Since we could talk to each other and could understand what was going on, it helped easy the leaving. I miss her but it is very different. But it is still their absence in our routine and the end of making new memories that bring the tears.

Every now and then our gal-dog looks for Patton and then looks at me to see if I can explain it to her.

·
Super Moderator
5,562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #52 ·
it has been 3 weeks now and I suspect my mom and Patton and our other pets are having a good time together again in the beyond. But picking through some turkey scraps (had an early Thanksgiving with family) I missed my big-boy waiting for his share. One reason this loss might be harder than the others in the past is that I have wrapped part of my identity around my dogs. My hubby and I are "those people with the German Shepherd Dogs", in a good way. When my hubby brought our big-boy along Patton made everyone smile. I don't have that power but I sure was glad to be the caretaker of the one who did.
Who am I now? I still have Chief and she is adjusting better than I am. Now that she is out from my big-boy's shadow people are telling me how beautiful she is. This is going to take awhile to adjust to.

·
Registered
7,689 Posts
it has been 3 weeks now and I suspect my mom and Patton and our other pets are having a good time together again in the beyond. But picking through some turkey scraps (had an early Thanksgiving with family) I missed my big-boy waiting for his share. One reason this loss might be harder than the others in the past is that I have wrapped part of my identity around my dogs. My hubby and I are "those people with the German Shepherd Dogs", in a good way. When my hubby brought our big-boy along Patton made everyone smile. I don't have that power but I sure was glad to be the caretaker of the one who did.
Who am I now? I still have Chief and she is adjusting better than I am. Now that she is out from my big-boy's shadow people are telling me how beautiful she is. This is going to take awhile to adjust to.
Are you thinking about adding another any time soon? That seems to be the only thing that helps me get over a loss. Although I never completely recover.

·
Super Moderator
5,562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #54 ·
Never say never but as of now, we have no plans to. We will be snow birding in our RV, and we have to think about who will take our gal-dog if we pass before she does. That being said, these two came into our lives after my "last dog" passed away and we have zero regrets, only great memories.

·
Super Moderator
8,206 Posts
Understandable. Samson is my last puppy.He'll be 8yrs old soon but I'm often tempted to add just one more. Not practical at all really, but you never know...
My kids love our dogs and the dogs love them so they definitely have secure places to live just in case.

Reactions: car2ner

·
Super Moderator
5,562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #57 · (Edited)
I'm so sorry. We lost the love of our life in July and I dont know when we will recover. Your command is precious. Beautiful dog.
Thanks, I guess what we can pray and hope for is to enjoy the memories without tearing up. We had family and friends last week sharing tears as they told me about the ones they are now missing as well. I don't think it ever completely ends.

I am praying for an acquaintance of mine who is loosing her Doberman. If anyone has part of her identity attached to a dog it is her. This is going to be rough. This is her first personal dog, it protected her from attach 3 different times, was there for her wedding and the start of her business and is part of her company logo. She has a pack now and an in coming pup, but she is still going to have a struggle.

41 - 57 of 57 Posts