German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The other day I was sitting on the couch eating a snack and Bud, my 3 legged cat, (thanks to the neighbors dog) was sitting on the coffee table and Bear kept trying to get by him to beg for my food. Each time Bear tried to come around the table Bud would take a swipe at Bear. Well, Bear didn't take the hint and tried once more. Bud pounced on Bear's head and bit his ear. Bear yelped and hurried away whimpering. Now, anytime Bear is walking through the house and Bud is in his path, Bear will stop, sit, and hang his head down in submission. He's scared of a cat! He will lay down and wait for Bud to move before he passes. It's too funny! A GSD afraid of a cat!

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I looked at her website, but right now, my job has cut back my hours. We aren't in a position to go that route. But we may one day!

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
LMAO.... i found a black GSD one time who was absolutely terrified of our cat Lucky. Lucky milked it for all he could. Lucky wasnt animal aggressive but he sure loved playing tricks and fetch and tag. Pretty hilarious cat but seeing this big 90lb black GSD cowering in a corner was just sad... hilarious but sad. they know who the boss is!

·
Registered
4,782 Posts
I wish my GSD was scared of my cat :(

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
Lol Bella used to be scared of our cats. The very day she came home we had a kennel ont the porch that our cat Tabitha had her kittens in. Bella ran and stuck her head in our cat NEVER seeing this strange HUGE dog went ape poop and wraped around her head and sent her yelping. The other cats seeing this started to pick on her. They would charge and she would scream and cry. Now that she's older and there used to her they get along fine. She even mothers 3 baby kittens we have but we used to laugh and call her a wuss cuz the cats wouldn't even touch her 90% of the time jus charge or swipe there paw at her and she would act like a tiger was trying to eat her :p.

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
Oh my thats so funny. Poor Bear he is a scaried cat! :D Very cute story thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
If I were going to live with a cat, I guess I would prefer Bear's respect for the cat because the other option would resemble a food chain! I bet he is awesome with kids???

·
Banned
5,921 Posts
Why would it be good for a GSD to be afraid of a cat? I wouldn't want mine to be aggressive towards cats (and he is not) but i also would not want him tobe afraid of a cat.

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
Bud isn't just any cat! He lost a leg to another dog, so pretty sure he's going to be extra defensive now. I say good boy Bear! Must be Bear & Bud are a pack. :)

·
Registered
127 Posts
Bud isn't just any cat! He lost a leg to another dog, so pretty sure he's going to be extra defensive now. I say good boy Bear! Must be Bear & Bud are a pack. :)
Agreed. When a cat loses its ability to run away or knows it can't do it successfully, it will stand its ground. A handicapped cat is not something to trifle with.

·
Banned
5,921 Posts
Agreed. When a cat loses its ability to run away or knows it can't do it successfully, it will stand its ground. A handicapped cat is not something to trifle with.
Fortunately most people will never have to see a big dog kill a cat - I unfortunately did (wasn't my dog or cat) and it wasn't pretty. The cat had no chance whatsoever, dog ran in grabbed it, and shook it once = dead cat!

·
Registered
127 Posts
Fortunately most people will never have to see a big dog kill a cat - I unfortunately did (wasn't my dog or cat) and it wasn't pretty. The cat had no chance whatsoever, dog ran in grabbed it, and shook it once = dead cat!
Meh. That can happen in some cases. Usually with animals not from the same household.

The situation that the OP described, however, leads me to believe that her dog has a new respect for her handicapped cat.

·
Registered
664 Posts
That is so funny. My Morgan (RIP) was HUGE and not so friendly. Everyone was wary around her (with good reason). She loved having that kind of power.
Then one day I look out in the yard, and she has discovered that the cat who harasses her and hangs out in the yard each morning always runs to one corner to escape when I let her out.
So, this morning, Morgan runs to the corner of the yard rather than toward the cat. She blocks the cat. They are face-to-face. But now Morgan doesn't know WHAT to do. The cat isn't running anymore. In fact, it's staring her down. So they stare at each other for what seems to be an eternity. Then, the cat gets tired and swats Big Bad Morgan right on the nose.
Morgan is mortified, and looks like a big boxer losing her balance -- she sort of wavers sideways and looks REALLY confused.
Then the cat literally turns and SAUNTERS out of the yard. If that cat had a middle finger, well, you know what it would have been doing.
Morgan looked as though she had just been knocked out.

Oh, and the cat continued to come back. Morgan would circle it but keep her distance. The cat kept harassing her until Jasmine moved back in with us (Jas was mine and my ex's). Jasmine didn't play -- all the cats in the neighborhood must have sensed it. Our yard became quickly cat-free.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
I have a GSD/Rottie mix. He was eighteen months old when I brought home a dog-savvy cat. He hid behind me and whined when the cat stood by his food. He didn't know how to get his food with the cat in the way.

He was very scared of the cat in the beginning. After a few weeks, they were sleeping together. Mostly because the cat wanted to snuggle and the dog was afraid to move. LMAO.

After about a year, the dog would chase the cat when the cat ran. But once the cat stopped, so did the dog. He didn't know what to do with the cat after that. Ha!

I remember my dog growling at my cat once and I corrected him. Then one day, I was watching my cat "stalk" my dog. He would start inching closer to my dog, who was lying down, until he was in my dog's face...and then pounced. Turns out, this has probably happened before and the dog was growling as a warning because he knew what was going to happen. My dog never attacked my cat though. He would growl to stop the cat from trying to pounce on his face...I felt really bad for correcting my dog when I figured out why he was growling.

My poor, scaredy-cat dog.:crazy:

·
Registered
127 Posts
I've got 16 cats, and when my dog comes into their "territory" there is a concerted effort on their part to intimidate the dog. They will actually circle her like sharks. They've tried doing this with the goat, but with little effect....

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
Our neighbors boxer Shannon got out of her yard one day and she was the friendliest darn dog. She especially loved my grandpa. We used to keep the screen door window open for the cats to come and go as they wanted. Shannon hopped through the window and went straight to see my grandpa like she owned the place. She was all goofy body wiggles wagging that stub of a tail and just smiling something silly.... until she met Pooky. Pooky was NOT a kitty you messed with and you certainly didnt come into her house uninvited!!! That itty bitty little black kitty (she was about 8 when this happened and about 6 lbs) jumped right in the fact of that 70lb boxer (shannon was a little too well fed...). Shannon hit the deck and literally curled into the fetal position with Pooky still mauling her and just being a total brat about it. I was finally able to snatch Pooky (i was about 11 at the time) and get her off of Shannon who was shivering on the floor literally hiding her face and my dad picked Shannon up and carried her back next door. After that experience, Shannon would visit but she would wait politely at the door for someone to invite her in before she came in. Pooky never went after her again! I think fierce little kitty's are a good teaching tool sometimes. lol. Gotta put those big bad ol doggies in their place! knock them off their high horse every now and then. lol.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts