German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all!

This is my first post on here, and my concern with my beautiful baby boy Dre. ImageUploadedByPG Free1375406360.927224.jpg

Anywho. My girlfriend and I made the plunge and decided to go thru a breeder and the whole nine. So far he has been the best dog in the world. We started him in a puppy obedience class so he could socialize with other dogs and people. He did fine in the class and learned all the commands. After he graduated from that my girlfriend and I continued to work with him every day doing our best to get him proper exercise and socialization. He was neutered about a month ago and for some reason I feel like everything he learned in the class how to act around people and other dogs, he forgets in the real world! We see another couple walking their dog Dres hair will stand up he will thrash on the lease and bark and snarl. We do our best to control him, keep walking and try to remain calm acting as if the dog isn't even there. But he hasn't been progressing like I had hoped and seem to be stuck at this stage. How can I correct this before things get out of control? He's a good boy deep down i know it and I will not give up on him.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
27,254 Posts
Keep up with what you are doing. This is the age that GSD's get a bit reactive.
Redirect him(turn around and go the other way, have a toy or treat to get his focus on you when YOU see that a 'threat' is coming).
There are threads, tons of them on this behavior and I always suggest in those threads that the handler should get the book Control Unleashed by Leslie McDevitt.
It helps handlers manage the reactivity and keep the dogs confidence built up.
If you are in training classes, hopefully your instructor will also be versed on the CU program.
The exercises outlined are excellent!
I'm currently assisting in a CU class....it is such a needed curriculum, but seldom offered in regular training clubs.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
He isn't in classes anymore. I was hoping that I would be able to correct this with proper training done myself. But at the same time i do think to go to a trainer. He just needs to realize other dogs and people aren't threats. Actually it's really not people he is okay with people, he may bark every now and then but shows no aggression towards people unless he has a reason to. It's just those other dogs.

·
Banned
15,195 Posts
take your dog out in the "real world" and train and socialize.
set up scenarios. train and socialize everyday, several times
a day. keep each session short and sweet and always end
on a positive note.

Hello all!

This is my first post on here, and my concern with my beautiful baby boy Dre. View attachment 97337

Anywho. My girlfriend and I made the plunge and decided to go thru a breeder and the whole nine. So far he has been the best dog in the world. We started him in a puppy obedience class so he could socialize with other dogs and people. He did fine in the class and learned all the commands. After he graduated from that my girlfriend and I continued to work with him every day doing our best to get him proper exercise and socialization. He was neutered about a month ago and for some reason I feel like everything he learned in the class how to act around people and other dogs,

>>>>> he forgets in the real world!<<<<<

We see another couple walking their dog Dres hair will stand up he will thrash on the lease and bark and snarl. We do our best to control him, keep walking and try to remain calm acting as if the dog isn't even there. But he hasn't been progressing like I had hoped and seem to be stuck at this stage. How can I correct this before things get out of control? He's a good boy deep down i know it and I will not give up on him.

·
Banned
15,195 Posts
what reason does your dog have to be aggressive towards humans?

He isn't in classes anymore. I was hoping that I would be able to correct this with proper training done myself. But at the same time i do think to go to a trainer. He just needs to realize other dogs and people aren't threats. Actually it's really not people he is okay with people, he may bark every now and then but

>>>>> shows no aggression towards people unless he has a
reason to. <<<<<

It's just those other dogs.

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
My dog reacts to other dogs. I put him back in training. There were three other GSD in our class and I found out really quick what I'm concerned about with my dog is nothing comapred to how the other ones react to other dogs.

My trainer said it's the age. My GSD is 9 months old. The other ones in the class are 7 to 9 months old.

I can get my GSD under control pretty quick with a correction and the leave it command. It is ongoing training. I have high hopes that as he matures he will see another dog without a reaction. He reacts first...it's almost like he doesn't think, then after I correct him he wants to play with the other dogs.

I like having him in a class too. There are about 10 to 15 dogs and sometimes new ones show up who need more work. We were one of those new ones showing up. ;) We took one class, but if the dog needs work my trainer welcomes them back. She is a wonderful trainer.

On the plus side he loves people and especially children. Once he reacts and calms down he likes other dogs too.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
He is not aggressive towards humans, there was a mishap once with Dre and this other dog (small dog) were playing and things just got a little to much and Dre had the small dog in his mouth, it was nothing to be worried about I knew they were just playing or whatever but then he just manhandled this dog until I gave him his leave it command and he backed off, anyways to make a long story short my friends uncle who was the owner of the small dog (who is also a drunk *******) walked in the room right after I broke them up and made an attempt to kick my dog in the head and said "If your dog does that again I will kill him!" Blah blah blah to which I replied "no you won't Michael Vick". But after this A-hole swung at him. He would not let him get near me, or any of my friends. Guy tried to be a badass and was like staring at Dre right in the eyes and everything. I was actually pretty stoked to know my dog has my back like that. It was a good feeling. But yea this guy flipped out cause two dogs playing got a lil rowdy.

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
Truly, it sounds like you are not realizing this dog is showing issues and instead of admitting he and YOU need help and training with a professional, you are just tossing it off as rough playing and happy the dog "has your back".
You need to get some help before the little episodes that are "nothing" around other dogs and humans turn into a problem that become a really big "nothing".

·
Registered
3,325 Posts
It's the adolescent stage. We thought we had the perfect GSD until ours was about 10 months old. It is going to feel like you have to start training from the beginning again. I'd start training classes again or see if there are dog sports in your area; agility, dock diving, someone here shows photos of their dog doing fly ball and the dog looks like its having a great time.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Truly, it sounds like you are not realizing this dog is showing issues and instead of admitting he and YOU need help and training with a professional, you are just tossing it off as rough playing and happy the dog "has your back".
You need to get some help before the little episodes that are "nothing" around other dogs and humans turn into a problem that become a really big "nothing".
Yea you are probably right. Looks like he's going back to school

1 - 10 of 10 Posts