German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my puppy runs away when I get within a foot of him what do I do. He's so smart he already can sit and walk on a leash and heel I really dont want him to hate me.

·
Registered
6,271 Posts
does your puppy always run away when you try to get close? or just certain times? I guess I am just not sure what you mean by this.

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
He doesn't hate you. Dogs don't think that way. Focus on changing the behavior and to do that you need to find the root cause. Sounds like maybe he's a tad overwhelmed? He's awfully young.

·
Super Moderator
16,941 Posts
Maybe he is trying to start a game of chase?

Have him chase you! Have a nice treat or a fun toy. Move backwards calling him to you in a happy excited voice. Use the toy or food to lure him in to you, and reward him for coming to you with the treat or by playing with him.

If he runs away from you, don't chase him. If that is what he wants, then you are re-inforcing his behaviour by rewarding it with you chasing him. Turn and ignore him. Walk away. He'll figure out that running away means no fun.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ya he only runs away at certain times. Do yall have anything else I need to know this is my first GSD so I'm in the dark.

·
Registered
6,271 Posts
wait! when are the "certain times" ..like what is going on when he runs away? like castlemaid said, is it a chasing game?

there is alot of good info around here, but also, finding a good trainer would help you lots as well, so you can talk over things in person

·
Registered
2,184 Posts
Re: my 8 wk old puppy always runs when i get close

Originally Posted By: bearcatfb30 Do yall have anything else I need to know this is my first GSD so I'm in the dark.
Well, welcome to the light! Take some time and start reading the different sections of the forum. All the information you need is right here.

·
Registered
7,466 Posts
hi bearcatfb30, you say above "at times", can you tell us like when that is, when you notice most that he's acting like he's scared of you? he is very, very young. how long have you had him? do you ever see that he's acting "scared" of anything else? there is alot of great, great knowledge here, if you give us more information i'm sure someone can help you.

·
Registered
7,782 Posts
If you would keep him on a leash or long line, he wouldn't be ABLE to get away from you. Not only would you would be able to stop him from running from you, but you could call him in a happy voice and "reel" him in and reward the heck out of him with a tasty snack when he gets to you. Soon he will come to realize that YOU are the provider of tasty snacks and will come running when you call. He will also realize that being close to you is a GOOD thing and will stop running when you get close to him.

·
Registered
833 Posts
Nothing to worry about the puppy is playing don't make a big deal about it. Mine did the same thing for awhile.

Excellant advice from BlackGSD. I always knew people with Black GSD's were smarter they have to be because their dog's are smarter LOL

·
Super Moderator
27,461 Posts
How long have you had him? 8 weeks is really a teeny tiny puppy. If you just got him, you are something new/big/scary just cause you are. So you may have to initially really work on gaining his confidence. Specially if the breeder failed to properly socialize him before you got him, having him already meet alot of people and have tons of contact with people so he KNOWS only great things come from us.

Proper socialization is VITAL for all puppies and seems even more critical for our GSD's so fear or aggression issues don't arise as they grow. Making them feel the world is a wonderful and happy place, with us the best thing EVER in it, should be our goal for the first years. A confident and content puppy makes a confident and content adult dog.

Here's some great sites to read up on:

http://www.flyingdogpress.com/puppack.html

http://www.doberman.org/articles/puppy.htm

http://www.vanerp.net/ilse/GSDINFO/understandyourpuppy.htm

http://home.flash.net/~astroman/primer1.html

http://www.gsdhelpline.com/willis2.htm

·
Administrator & Alpha Bitch of the Wild Bunch
13,571 Posts
bearcat,

*Please* answer the questions about what circumstances make your pup run. What are you doing at those times that is different from times when he doesn't run?

He may be playing. He may be afraid. If he's running because he's afraid, that's not a good thing. Nor is it normal in an 8 week old pup, even if you've only had him a week and a half.

But based on the little bit of information you've provided we can't tell why he's doing it, and that means we can't help. If you can answer those questions, we can get a better idea of what is going on and therefore give you better advice on how to deal with it.

·
Registered
7,782 Posts
Originally Posted By: larrydee33

Excellant advice from BlackGSD. I always knew people with Black GSD's were smarter they have to be because their dog's are smarter LOL

·
Registered
5,392 Posts
I think at this age, the pup shouldn't ever have an opportunity to run away from you. He should be on either a short leash tied to your belt when indoors, in a crate, or on a long lead outdoors.

Chasing a puppy is a game you cannot win. They are faster, and can run under chairs better than you can.

As another member suggested, you can try running the opposite way and see if HE will chase YOU. If you leave a room, does the pup follow you?

·
Registered
5,392 Posts
Then I think running from you is his way of starting a game called "Catch me!" which you cannot win.

This is the first of many many times when you will need to turn the tables so that you take control of the situation back from the dog. (They are clever that way...) Right now, the pup is deciding the game, the rules of the game, and when you play it. And he always wins.

You need to change the game. A good baby game for learning recall is hide and seek. Get another person to help you, and do this in the house.

Fill up your pockets with treats. One person go in the next room and "hide" (behind a door, something easy) and then call the puppy..."Konan, come! here puppy puppy puppy!" Puppy comes running and gets a payoff of treats. Second person then calls...same thing, puppy comes running and gets treats. Each time the pup runs to the new call, the person goes to hide in a new spot.

The idea is to condition the puppy that coming to you when called is going to PAY OFF big time--with lots of treats and lovin'. Recall (come) is the most important thing your dog will ever learn. So making it a fun game now is the way to start.

And...most importantly, you are setting the rules of the game, not the pup.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts