German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 8 month old GS pup severed her achilies tendon in a freak accident Friday night, she apparently got her leg under the refigerator and must have got up suddenly , and caught it on the corner bracket. She had to have emergency ortho surgery the next morning, the doc says they were able to reconnect but is the long recovery process that will be difficult. Has anyone been through this. Being a puppy still, she has so much energy and being crated (a must for now says the doc) well, any suggestions and learning from anyone who has been through this? Did your dog recover and regain all the mobility of that leg? It was quite a scare, the vet at the emergency clinic on friday suggested an option might be to take the leg, but I couldnt think of it....you can imagine the surgury bill was $$$$$$$$$, I feel so bad for her, and she has been through so much, just looking for some reassurance cuz we love her like crazy ...

·
Registered
2,999 Posts
Yikes. Poor baby! Just reading about it makes my own tendon hurt!
My dog is recovering from CCL knee surgery. I just placed an order with bestbullysticks.com for some things to keep her busy during her down time. Kongs with peanut butter frozen inside are our friend.

I'm sure your dog will sleep the first few days while the anesthesia and pain meds wear off. Don't mess around, be strict with confinement.
Good luck!

·
Registered
7,289 Posts
Hello and Welcome, sorry about Nevaeh's accident.

Will be sending healing thoughts and prayers your way that your girl will have a complete recovery. :)

·
Registered
420 Posts
So sorry to hear about Neveah's accident. Thinking of you both and sending out positive thoughts for a full recovery.

·
Registered
470 Posts
My former male GSD tore his ACL when he was 5 y/o, but your baby is so young!
Once he started the healing process we taught him to swim. It was an excellent work out for him and it was something he could do forever. (He could never really run full speed or jump after the injury).

Perhaps you could ask your vet about having her start a swim therapy? Just a thought. I pray she recovers fully. She looks like such a cutie on your avatar.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks all of you...what a wonderful group of caring and commited people there is on this site to our beloved GSD's. The surgeon stated she should have 60% normal use after 1 year and 100% by 3 years...so we wait in faith ...thanks for the prayers and thoughts, sorry to hear about your dog's accident,so you know what we are going through...along with all of that, we currently have her seeing a vet behaviorist for her fear aggression, so this may be a blessing in disguise or not, we will see, she had such a rough beginning in life and we want so much to give her a chance at a good life, you know some folks said it would be best with everything to put her down, but I couldnt', I'm not ready to give up on her yet... thanks again for your support..will drop in from time to time and update her progress...p.s yes...she is a cutie isn't she? thats her graduation picture from beginning obedience class..

·
Registered
3,472 Posts
Oh your poor girl :( I am sending healing thoughts and prayers for a full and speedy recovery :hugs:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts