German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone
My wife and I are devastated. Our healthy rex who was in his prime and just turned 7 didnt wake up last Thursday. Its killing me inside and cant stop crying. He was my best friend and now he's gone. Wednesday night was fine. He ate, had treats and we played a bit while watching TV. He was as happy as ever with no symptoms of anything. Has anyone ever experienced this sudden death with their GSD. We loved him so much. He slept with us and we treated him like a son. I miss him terribly. ?

·
Registered
7,277 Posts
I am so sorry for you and your wife. No, it hasn’t happened to me, but a relative’s dog died suddenly. They think it was anaphalactic shock, but their dog had profuse vomiting. Yours may have had a heart attack. I know you are devstated, but can you ask your vet what might have happened?

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
So sad. It may have been a form of Hermangiosarcoma cancer. They call it the silent killer. And he was the right age that it hits many GSDs...Prayers for you both..

·
Registered
8 Posts
I’m terribly sorry to hear about your loss and your family is in my prayers. I’ve never had a dog just suddenly die like that but my beloved Turbo bunny died like that. He was watching tv with me eating his hay and drinking fine, was really active binkying. I got up for a drink came back and was just lying on his side unresponsive. My vet said it was cardiac arrest.

·
Premium Member
11,386 Posts
a friend lost a dog on Saturday....DIC- logic points to a heat related internal bleed....dog seemed normal until he was deep in shock...young young dog...he,wife and 6 year are just stunned....no explanation at all - got dog to ER and nothing could be done - often the case with hemangio and DIC

it is never easy, never never never

I am so sorry for your loss....

Lee

·
Registered
5,166 Posts
My sincere condolences! I can only imagine how hard that would be! I lost my last dog out of the blue like that, and I don't think I'll ever be the same...it takes lots of time. One day you'll notice the good memories creeping in, and you'll smile. For now, take your time...heal!

·
Registered
341 Posts
Oh, how sad and awful for you and your family! It hurts so much when they go, it must hurt even more to lose him so suddenly and so young! My heart goes out to you. Just know it takes time to heal, you will hurt and grieve for a while, of course you will. But eventually remembering him will be more happy than painful.

I’m so sorry for your loss.

·
Super Moderator
5,328 Posts
I can't imagine how hard that is. I'm sorry and I have no good guess.

·
Registered
16,152 Posts
I'm sorry. I always have a rough time when one of my dogs dies but the sudden, unexpected death was especially rough.

The first time I heard of bloat it was that a friend's dog had died in the night of it. It's just hard.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
So sad. It may have been a form of Hermangiosarcoma cancer. They call it the silent killer. And he was the right age that it hits many GSDs...Prayers for you both..
That's what my vet thinks because he was very tall and was 110lbs. Or a arrhythmia was possible. Anyways he looked peaceful sleeping with his eyes closed. Thank you so much for the kind words. GSD owners are the best

·
Registered
38 Posts
I am so very sorry for your loss and yes, seven is still quite young but please take some solace knowing that he was fine the night before and wasn't obviously suffering. Seven years allows a lot of time to create wonderful memories and thankfully, you weren't put in the position of making "the decision". Regardless, I am so very sorry for your loss.

·
Registered
7,597 Posts
So sorry for your loss. RIP little one, run free.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts