German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
She just turned 7 months yesterday and now has another uti since December. We were not aware she has a recessed vulva until today. She's already been spayed so now there's mention of surgery to fix it if she keeps getting them. She had high red and white blood cells with blood in urine. So now it's two weeks of meds and a retest. Also, when they ran her urine she had a high level of billirubin suggesting liver issues. They tried blood draw but it stressed her so much she pooped!! And they found a tapeworm. So now I've got to give her a couple days and then get a tranquilizer to take her back in for blood draw. I'm just beside myself she's suffering from the uti if her liver is in trouble too I'm gonna break down. Has anyone else gone through any of these issues???

·
Registered
75 Posts
I had similar issues with Sadie, one of my dachshunds. She had a UTI like clockwork every 4-6 months from the time she was 6 months old until she was 5. She also has a recessed vulva. She ended up developing bladder stones and had to have surgery to remove them, since then she hasn't had any problems and it's been just over two years.

None of our vets at the time offered surgery to repair the vulva, I'm not sure if it was due to lack of experience or what. The first vet that I mentioned it to didn't seem to even know what I was talking about. Our regular vet at the time did say that she had heard of it but had never performed it and it would be a referral surgery. At the time, I didn't have the money for it. She suggested using natural baby wipes to clean the "moat" around her vulva every time she peed while she was on medication, then down to once a day after and then to keep going down slowly until we were either at the point where we barely needed to do it or not at all. Another thing she suggested was keeping the hair clipped shorter there so that it wouldn't wick the bacteria up and starting her on a cranberry supplement that may help.

I don't remember what the dosing for the cranberry supplement was, but we only did it for a few months. We still wipe her vulva about once or twice a week now and do keep the hair trimmed. She hasn't had a recurrence since the surgery though (she had antibiotic injections for about a month straight after to make sure the entire infection was gone).

1 - 2 of 2 Posts