German Shepherds Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi...
So i feel very not good today... yesterday Otto went on a walk with my dad and his 2 goats, my dad is older and he walks very slow, so the goats and Otto were quickly out of his sight. ( They do this almost everyday for the past year or so). But yesterday after my dad caught up to the goats over a hill, he found otto on the throath of one of the goats. He was furious and he told me he hit otto with his hand because he wouldn’t let go. The goat could walk, she was bleeding but dad says it stopped quickly. At home the vet gave her medication and today she started eating. Otto was locked in and my dad ignores him completely. Otto looked very sad, i was with him for a while but then i had to help with the goat. This morning i went for a walk with Otto and he wasn’t really exited, when i came back i gave him some salami as a treat, but he didn’t want to eat it, he burried it in the backyard, then he puked in my bedroom ( only water). I called my vet, he told me what to give him and he will come later... but i am very confused... could it be stress? Or because he ate blood of the goat? I know how my dad is disappointed now, he loves his goats (and Otto too...) but Otto loves my dad, they go everywhere together. Maybe he is sad my dad is mad at him?? (Can a dog even feel sadness like that?) The vet said it could be stress, but he doesn’t really know either. He will look at him when he comes... until then: Did anyone have a similar experience? What do i do now? I don’t really blame Otto, he is a predator, i would never completely trust him to be alone with farm animals... but i also understand how devastated my dad is... i feel so sorry. I did explain my point of view to my dad but he doesn’t understand why it went smoothly until yesterday, and then suddenly all went to ****.. i really don’t know what to do now. Help please, give me some advice...

·
Registered
187 Posts
That a very interesting but sad story, first of all thanks for taking the time to write it up for us.

It kind of reminds me of my GSD and our free range chickens...and that is they get along fine, until they don't.

Dogs out of voice/site/control can be spooked or set-off to revert to their basic instincts.

I hope your Dad and Otto can put this behind them and once again enjoy their daily walks.

·
Super Moderator
5,474 Posts
first of all, if you can, relax. Otto knows your dad is upset with him. If you are nervous and upset he may not understand why and now no one is in a place of strength. You will work through this. Your dad, in time, may forgive Otto and come up with a better plan to keep both dog and goats safe and still enjoy the walks. Perhaps time to find an e-collar experts and make the walk work for Otto instead of just a stroll. I'm not that expert, though.

·
Registered
11,759 Posts
Have him examined at the vet. Maybe your dad kicked him in the throat or stomach and damaged him. Dogs don't dwell on past issues and he should not refuse a treat like that if nothing was physically wrong.
Deja took hold of a goat's throat a few years ago and the owner and I had to pry her teeth out of his neck. But none of us punished her and remaind calm. Her behavior was normal afterwards. The goat had a stiff neck for a week and was on antibiotics but made it. They still hate each other. It started with the goat butting her kennel when she was boarded and once out of her kennel she took revenge when we were distracted.

·
Registered
4,498 Posts
Have Dad walk Otto on a leash for awhile. Or you do with the goats and watch his reactions.
Goats are different than sheep as you know and will go after a timid dog, who knows what happened.

·
Registered
5,513 Posts
Hi...
So i feel very not good today... yesterday Otto went on a walk with my dad and his 2 goats, my dad is older and he walks very slow, so the goats and Otto were quickly out of his sight. ( They do this almost everyday for the past year or so). But yesterday after my dad caught up to the goats over a hill, he found otto on the throath of one of the goats. He was furious and he told me he hit otto with his hand because he wouldn’t let go. The goat could walk, she was bleeding but dad says it stopped quickly. At home the vet gave her medication and today she started eating. Otto was locked in and my dad ignores him completely. Otto looked very sad, i was with him for a while but then i had to help with the goat. This morning i went for a walk with Otto and he wasn’t really exited, when i came back i gave him some salami as a treat, but he didn’t want to eat it, he burried it in the backyard, then he puked in my bedroom ( only water). I called my vet, he told me what to give him and he will come later... but i am very confused... could it be stress? Or because he ate blood of the goat? I know how my dad is disappointed now, he loves his goats (and Otto too...) but Otto loves my dad, they go everywhere together. Maybe he is sad my dad is mad at him?? (Can a dog even feel sadness like that?) The vet said it could be stress, but he doesn’t really know either. He will look at him when he comes... until then: Did anyone have a similar experience? What do i do now? I don’t really blame Otto, he is a predator, i would never completely trust him to be alone with farm animals... but i also understand how devastated my dad is... i feel so sorry. I did explain my point of view to my dad but he doesn’t understand why it went smoothly until yesterday, and then suddenly all went to ****.. i really don’t know what to do now. Help please, give me some advice...
My advice would be to keep them apart.for a bit to let them heal. Then, and again if it were me, I'd continue the group walks as you always have, of course armed with the knowledge you now have of what "can" happen!

As you said, you can't know what set Otto off, just keep it in mind and be watchful. But there's really no need to overreact! Just teach Otto that he can't hurt the goats. Don't let him be around them out of your site again for a good long while!

And I say this as someone who has raised GSD with goats.

Reactions: Anoukaj

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
Dogs have very vulnerable stomach areas- if he got kicked there he could be hurt internally. Get him checked out, he's probably fine.

As for goats and him, if it were me, I'd e-collar aversion train him on the goats. It's upsetting when we see our dog's predator instincts kick in, but once you know it can happen, avoid it happening again.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you everyone for calming me and for the explanations. You helped me a lot. Otto finally ate, no injuries luckily. My dad couldn’t have hit him hard, but i was thinking maybe the goat got to him as well... but all seems clear.
He is now in a good mood, we played a lot, maybe he just needed that kind of normal attention he usually gets. I don’t know... he is a very interesting dog, to me at least :)

The only thing i noticed him doing is wanting to get into the field where the goats are, always walking in that direction, we keep the injured goat in that field in a small stall... so maybe he now knows that she is injured and vulnerable. So basically i don’t let him outside the house unless i am with him. Even thought the goats have a big fence, i don’t want to risk it.

i hope that goat is going to be okay, and i really hope my dad and Otto are gonna be cool too :) working on that...

·
Registered
5,513 Posts
Thank you everyone for calming me and for the explanations. You helped me a lot. Otto finally ate, no injuries luckily. My dad couldn’t have hit him hard, but i was thinking maybe the goat got to him as well... but all seems clear.
He is now in a good mood, we played a lot, maybe he just needed that kind of normal attention he usually gets. I don’t know... he is a very interesting dog, to me at least :)

The only thing i noticed him doing is wanting to get into the field where the goats are, always walking in that direction, we keep the injured goat in that field in a small stall... so maybe he now knows that she is injured and vulnerable. So basically i don’t let him outside the house unless i am with him. Even thought the goats have a big fence, i don’t want to risk it.

i hope that goat is going to be okay, and i really hope my dad and Otto are gonna be cool too :) working on that...
I do too! The dog and the goat are fine, because this situation has always been there for them. For you, it's a new discovery so you're tentative!!!

Manage the dog, limit his accessibility to the goats for a bit, then be very clear when he has access and acts inappropriately! Done!

All the speculation in the world won't get ya to a better conclusion than that!

Just explaine that eating the goats is not okay! He'll get it and move on...as should you...

·
Registered
Hi, it’s Andre
674 Posts
I’m sorry to hear about the goat :/

I hope it is doing better now.

question; are goats good pets?

·
Super Moderator
3,061 Posts
I’d walk your dog separately from the goats.

I’ve had different numbers and different breeds of goats for 15 years..... and I don’t “walk” mine with my GSDs. YMMV.

A GSD with even a small inkling of prey drive / herding instinct is going to attempt to control their movement or stop their movement. Yes you can train a dog to do otherwise, but separation is a much easier and less risky path.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts