German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Both parents were hip and elbow tested, dad was OFA and mom had a European version HD of it because she came from Italy.
Kappa von Eisenwerk
http://www.pedigreedatabase.com/german_shepherd_dog/dog.html?id=691780-kappo-von-eisenwerk

http://rhode.meccahosting.com/~a0001a53/kappo_von_eisenwerk.htm

Audi vom Haus Palmar
http://www.pedigreedatabase.com/german_shepherd_dog/dog.html?id=2786137-audi-vom-haus-palmar

Doesn’t ever display pain or anything just trying to see what you guys think. He’s obviously a WGSL
Here he is trotting walking and running

https://youtu.be/UlMBAKHxIVE

My female is Czech so she’s obviously got the straight legs.

·
Super Moderator
6,279 Posts
Roached back and cow hocked.That's a WGSL trait.Some have more extreme conformation than others.Hopefully others with more knowledge and experience will chime in with the best ways to encourage strong muscular development so he can be the best he can be:)

·
Registered
31,352 Posts
The parents do have a moderate structure without extreme angulation.

But your puppy looks like she has more angulation and that seems to be related to the cow hock. Exercise to strengthen her legs and maturity should help to some extent. Go hiking. Lots of hiking. :)

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The parents do have a moderate structure without extreme angulation.

But your puppy looks like she has more angulation and that seems to be related to the cow hock. Exercise to strengthen her legs and maturity should help to some extent. Go hiking. Lots of hiking. /forum/images/smilies/smile.gif
That’s what’s throwing me off. His parents when they aren’t stacked have very minimal angulation and are very nice looking dogs. So I’m hoping he grows out of this haha they were even DNA tested so he’s definitely their puppy haha not the mailman’s dog haha

·
Registered
27,239 Posts
Pup needs to build up muscle mass in the rear, it is very weak looking. Hills are great for that.
I would find some and have her climb daily!

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Pup needs to build up muscle mass in the rear, it is very weak looking. Hills are great for that.
I would find some and have her climb daily!
Where I’m at is kinda flat so I don’t have very many places that have hills but I may be able to find a place.
We are going to be in Italy soon so there will be places there

·
Registered
27,239 Posts
Staircases then....anything to make the rear end work.

·
Registered
31,352 Posts
That’s what’s throwing me off. His parents when they aren’t stacked have very minimal angulation and are very nice looking dogs. So I’m hoping he grows out of this haha they were even DNA tested so he’s definitely their puppy haha not the mailman’s dog haha
?? It's not just the direct parents that influence the next generation.

She lacks hindend muscle from that picture. Get her out doing things that build that muscle. Jane's idea of stairs is great.

·
Registered
4,415 Posts
Swimming is another good exercise! And even if you don't have hills around, just running or trotting on soft surfaces is good too!

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Swimming is another good exercise! And even if you don't have hills around, just running or trotting on soft surfaces is good too!
I’ll have to see about getting him swimming today would have been a good day for that it was warmer than it has been.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Haha it’s a he the name Kimber comes from the old gun manufacturing company.
We own a Kimber Micro 9 pistol

·
Registered
160 Posts
Im willing to bet his parents were probably the same or at least similar when they were his age. My cousin has a WGSL as well and he was A LOT worse with the hock walking than your guy and just awkward in general but now at almost a year it is basically completely gone. He still has the WGSL trot and angulation but otherwise he runs just fine now. Let him exercise plenty and with age I think he will come along nicely. How old is he currently?

·
Registered
381 Posts
Is there a chance to see how his siblings look at this age? I don't have experience with showline GSDs, so I don't know if this is normal. It looks extreme to me, and of course extremes are how we got our different dog breeds in the first place, so they happen. I'd make sure to get him a lot of low impact exercise and try to keep him on the lean side. Your breeder should be able to help you with this as well.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts