German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So we adopted Lubo (working gsd) when he was 40 days old. We saw the parents and they were a bit aggressive. Its not that he is a bad boy. He listens to all commands when my husband is doing is training etc. But he bites. Especially me! . He is doing it like a game. He spends more time with me. When he does it we tell him NO, or OUCH or leave the room but he doesn't seem to get it... I know that he's teething so he has a lot of pain etc.. By the way he is friendly with people.. He lets people to touch him and play with him but sometimes he turns the head to bite! When he sees cats and dogs he gets to excited and wants to play.. He doesn't bark or gets agreessive, although he may bite then as they play as well.. We want to take him to a professional trainer as well but they told us is too young.. Are we doing something wrong? Should I be worried?

Attachments

·
Registered
875 Posts
What you're seeing is the reason folks call them "land sharks"....he'll grow out of that over time.....give him a toy that he CAN chew on in place of your hand/arm /leg /clothing etc......I also read where you said you spend the most time with him but your husband does the training (at least that's my take from your post)....you need to be involved in his leash training as a part of his daily routine NOW...the respect you earn now and the boundaries you set now will set him up for what he becomes as a young adult...the respect he GIVES you when he's 80-90 lbs. is the respect you've EARNED daily right now...he needs to learn now that his mouth and human hands/ arms don't mix.....

Most of the threads here involving an out of control 9-10 month--1 year---1 & 1/2 year old is because the owner didn't put in the time and work when the pup was young...now's the time for you and your pup to get involved in a group obedience class--steer clear of local pet food box store classes....this is the way he "bonds" with you and grows to respect you !....any time some one compliments an owner on what a great well behaved adult dog they have...the dog didn't just happen to grow into a great dog because it had great genetics...heck no...some one did the right foundation work when the pup was very young....good luck and btw Lubo is super handsome and looks a little mischievous .....

·
Super Moderator
7,252 Posts
Sounds like a normal playful puppy.Keep toys and tug ropes handy to redirect him to.Search for "Landshark" in the puppy forum for solutions that have helped other owners.

·
Registered
942 Posts
Sounds like a normal playful puppy.Keep toys and tug ropes handy to redirect him to.Search for "Landshark" in the puppy forum for solutions that have helped other owners.
Completely agree. Does not sound like true aggression at all. Just a pretty normal pup.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Lubo is a beautiful puppy! Igor is an 8.5 month old puppy. I have more scars on my hands, arms and legs from this boy! I'll spare you the bloody pictures! He's also given me 2 black eyes...lol...go figure.

But he's certainly growing out of the biting phase...he mostly just mouths on my hands these days...Most of the damage comes from scratching me...I've never had a pooch that has dew claws and let me tell you...Igor uses them! My vet says he can remove them without any problems. So I'm seriously considering that as I'm told that an injured dew claw can be very bad.

I'm not a GSD expert but I'm betting Lubo will certainly grow out of that phase...2 of my 6 Dobermans were landsharks and they definitely grew out of that.

One day in the near future you will have forgotten all about Lubos' biting...and the bond will be very, very strong between you both!

·
Registered
995 Posts
Uh, puppies "grow out" of the landshark phase with training; it doesn't magically happen on its own. I'd start that training now, following the excellent advice given upthread.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Shane'sDad;19th 87285 said:
What you're seeing is the reason folks call them "land sharks"....he'll grow out of that over time.....give him a toy that he CAN chew on in place of your hand/arm /leg /clothing etc......I also read where you said you spend the most time with him but your husband does the training (at least that's my take from your post)....you need to be involved in his leash training as a part of his daily routine NOW...the respect you earn now and the boundaries you set now will set him up for what he becomes as a young adult...the respect he GIVES you when he's 80-90 lbs. is the respect you've EARNED daily right now...he needs to learn now that his mouth and human hands/ arms don't mix.....

Most of the threads here involving an out of control 9-10 month--1 year---1 & 1/2 year old is because the owner didn't put in the time and work when the pup was young...now's the time for you and your pup to get involved in a group obedience class--steer clear of local pet food box store classes....this is the way he "bonds" with you and grows to respect you !....any time some one compliments an owner on what a great well behaved adult dog they have...the dog didn't just happen to grow into a great dog because it had great genetics...heck no...some one did the right foundation work when the pup was very young....good luck and btw Lubo is super handsome and looks a little mischievous .....
Thank you very much!!
By the way I am the one who takes him out for his morning and afternoon walk and I must say that he is very easy to walk him and he does listens to me.. Is just that some times he acts like a spoiled baby boy with his mom and with his dad is more serious.. ?

Thanks again for your help and advice ?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Lubo is a beautiful puppy! Igor is an 8.5 month old puppy. I have more scars on my hands, arms and legs from this boy! I'll spare you the bloody pictures! He's also given me 2 black eyes...lol...go figure.

But he's certainly growing out of the biting phase...he mostly just mouths on my hands these days...Most of the damage comes from scratching me...I've never had a pooch that has dew claws and let me tell you...Igor uses them! My vet says he can remove them without any problems. So I'm seriously considering that as I'm told that an injured dew claw can be very bad.

I'm not a GSD expert but I'm betting Lubo will certainly grow out of that phase...2 of my 6 Dobermans were landsharks and they definitely grew out of that.

One day in the near future you will have forgotten all about Lubos' biting...and the bond will be very, very strong between you both!
Thanks!! Yeah people look at my hands and they think that something serious happened to me ?

Thank you very much!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts