German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
Im new to the forum. I have a 3 years old female german shepherd she is in our backyard, we live in florida. She will not stop running is constantly running the whole day and she was licking her back paws alot and when we check we saw this. Should we take her to the vet? Please if you know what to do let me know

Attachments

·
Registered
443 Posts
That's a tough area to get to heal so I agree she should see a vet before it gets infected. They will tell you how to treat it.
Welcome to the forum.
I'd like to make a couple suggestions for after her paw is healed up.
1. Find a nice grassy area where you can take her to run off her energy. Grass usually doesn't tear up the pads as badly as sand or dirt. See if there's any large dog parks or hiking trails around you. Maybe an empty baseball field at a school.
2. Determine if her diet is too high in carbohydrates which can make them run constantly. If it's a good, quality feed,
consider daily runs on grass, even if you have to put some new sod down in her yard.
3. Spend more time with your dog so she's not amusing herself with outright running. Most GSDs don't like living
totally outdoors away from family and their activities. Maybe her running is loneliness or anxiety.
4. Also GSDs don't really like the heat in Florida. I live in Fl. also and neither of my dogs wanted to be out in the heat
by themselves. Like you, they love air-conditioning.
5. Clip her nails and keep them the proper length. they look overgrown.

Good luck healing up her paw.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts